The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 17, 2011, 09:17 PM   #26
HKFan9

For affordable and well built.. my vote is Armalite... only downfall is not using Pmags.

If money is not an issue, LMT, Noveske, LWRC, GAP are all very nice rifles.
Old November 17, 2011, 11:37 PM   #27
Doc Intrepid

Remington R-25

One of the rifles out there that meets all of your requirements below is the Remington R-25, which was pretty much designed to do exactly what you've described in your opening post:

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...-25-rifle.aspx

If you scroll down on the website blurb you'll see a bit about the design specifications. Comments follow:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneeman
"...Here are a few things I want:
Designed for 7.62 NATO and .308 Winchester Interchangability - I know there can be some issues with interchanging these rounds if the gun isn't built for the pressure and headspace. I figure if manufacturers make guns that can shoot both .223 and 5.56mm, surely someone has done this for the .308 and 7.62 NATO in an AR platform. This is the biggest issue for me.
I've owned mine for a bit more than 3 years. I've fired military 7.62 and commercial .308 through it with no issues whatever.

Quote:
Accessory Rail - It's something I think no AR should be without.
See the photo on the website. It has one picatinny rail along the top surface of the upper receiver, and a second beneath where the front site post would be (however, the rifle does not come with either a front or rear iron sight. It is designed to be used as a hunting rifle with a scope. The handguard is not designed to mount picatinny rails to on both top and bottom, port and starboard. If you're looking for a 'tacticool' platform to mount lasers, lights, IR, whatever on, this is not what you want.

Quote:
No front sight post - I don't like them, I prefer put low-profile fold-up sights.
There are no iron sights on this rifle. If you want them, however, you could add them.

Quote:
Dust Cover - I dont understand this, but some manufacturers don't put dust covers on their .308 rifles, but they do on their 7.62mm. Also I prefer to shoot left handed so a brass deflector is a must."
The Remington R-25 has both a dust cover and a brass deflector.

This rifle is a collaboration between Remington and DPMS. As far as I know it is manufactured in the US, if this is something that resonates with you. I've used it hunting for the past three years, and I'm very happy with it. Like you, I was looking for an AR-10 platform that would work well in both a hunting situation as well as 'other environments'. This one works well for me.

YMMV.
Old November 18, 2011, 01:29 AM   #28
HKFan9

Remington, DPMS, and Bushmaster are all owned by the same people.
Old November 18, 2011, 04:12 AM   #29
5RWill

Which is Cerberus..
Old November 18, 2011, 01:29 PM   #30
HKFan9

Quote:
Which is Cerberus..
Yup... I used to be a Remington fan... but a lot of the guns coming out of them now I can't keep faith in. Sad day when they bought out Marlin.
Old November 18, 2011, 02:04 PM   #31
GONIF

I have Fal's,H&K 91's ,Springfield M1A,PTR91,Armalite AR10 nm and AR10T,CMMG .308 custom rifles . The AR10 type rifles are the best shooting and most Accurate. the Armalite AR10T and the CMMG group at .59 moa at 100 yards with Fedrak GMM 168 SMK and my hand loads useing an AMAX 168 . The biggist bang for the buck is the CMMG and it has been 100% relieable right out of the box .It also takes the Magpul .308 20 round Pmag . If the GAP is more accurate it won't be by much .I have shot the CMMG at 500 yards and it is 2moa prone on a Harris Bipod for me with a Weaver tactical EDMR 3-15x50 scope a'm 60 years old and so are my eyes. A better ,younger shooter could do better . At $1399.99 with a 18 inch fluted Wasp lined barrel,billet upper and lower,2 stage trigger Magpul PRS stock,and free float railed tube it is an amazeing rifle at a stupid low price . Life time Warrentee . CDNN HAS them . FYI my Remington 5R with a Nikon is NO more Accurate .

Last edited by GONIF; November 18, 2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old November 18, 2011, 02:09 PM   #32
Blade37db

This sounds interesting:
http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtRifles/SP901.aspx
Old November 19, 2011, 09:27 AM   #33
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackops_2
Personally i like the LMT MWS. But the most accurate AR-10 that i've seen is hands down the GAP AR-10.
GAP makes the GAP-10. AR10 is a trade mark name for the ArmaLite rifle. I agree about the LMT, the one I have spent time with is a accurate reliable shooter. It's heavier than my 16" AR10 but still manageable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXJ
look at the cost of the mags
New Armalite 20 or 25 round mags were $55 each last year.
I think I saw the DPMS ones for $15 and magpul also makes some, just not for armalite.
Late last spring ArmaLite restructured the pricing on their magazines. Current ArmaLite MSRP is $35 and can be found for around $25.
Current DPMS MSRP is $45 and can be found for around $28.
PMags run about $20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKFan9
For affordable and well built.. my vote is Armalite... only downfall is not using Pmags.
If money is not an issue, LMT, Noveske, LWRC, GAP are all very nice rifles.
+10

The combination of price, quality, customer service, and a life time warranty makes ArmaLite hard to beat.

While I do use and like Pmags for the AR15 I don't like them for the 7.62 platform. For a mag that size I prefer a steel mag.

I've shot a half dozen different 7.62 AR's and every one has been a accurate platform. Minor differences in feel and some differences of felt recoil is about all I have noticed. I would like to get my hands on one of the CMMG's.
Old November 19, 2011, 03:02 PM   #34
5RWill

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcratebuilder
GAP makes the GAP-10. AR10 is a trade mark name for the ArmaLite rifle. I agree about the LMT, the one I have spent time with is a accurate reliable shooter. It's heavier than my 16" AR10 but still manageable.
Yeah i know, I still refer the all .308 ARs as AR-10 a habit i guess.

Quote:
Yup... I used to be a Remington fan... but a lot of the guns coming out of them now I can't keep faith in. Sad day when they bought out Marlin.
I know. While i can't complain about my 5R the only thing that will be left is the action. They also bought out Dakota arms ... there goes one of the finest custom sporter rifles in the world.
Old November 19, 2011, 03:11 PM   #35
sailskidrive

I have a Bushmaster LR308 MOE mid length and really like it. I know Cerebus now owns half of the AR industry, including Bushmaster, so it's probably just a DPMS w/ lipstick on it.

This link has some good info on the .308 ARs as well as pics (including one of some chick in skin tight leather holding a G36)

http://308ar.com/

The Fulton Armory Titan is REALLY nice if you have $2k+ to spend.
Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230
Old November 19, 2011, 04:44 PM   #36
csmsss

I don't get all the DPMS bashing. I would not hesitate to take my DPMS LR-308 Sportical into any situation I'd take an AR-10 pattern rifle into. It is rugged, reliable (thousands of rounds through it without a failure), and one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned.
Old November 19, 2011, 10:32 PM   #37
SauerJackson

The dpms' are hands down the best bang for your buck that I've seen so far! But I haven't had the chance to play with the cmmg yet.
And the remingtons, bushmasters n panthers are all made separate, out of different plans. And so for far their stupid ownership super group hasn't meddled much with dpms. After causing nothing but problems with remy n bushy they may realized that they're idiots.......

But If you have the money to spend, there are some very nice rifles previously mentioned. I personally wouldn't kick an LRWC or les baer outta bed

Last edited by SauerJackson; November 19, 2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old November 20, 2011, 03:38 AM   #38
HKFan9

To me... cheapest... doesn't always equate to "best value". I have repaired, and sent back a few DPMS to not fully trust them.

Like I and others have stated... for the best value... it is VERY hard to beat Armalite.

If money wasn't a problem... I would personally probably go for the GAP rifle, but Armalite fills my needs.

Tags
ar-10 , m110 , mk11 , sr-25