The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 9, 2013, 10:38 PM   #1
TXAZ

"Fun" automatic home defense

I wasn't surprised when I read the article that someone published the engineering package to build your own automatic "Vulcan" gun for home protection. There are a lot of these completed projects on the web that are done on a shoestring. Next thing someone will swap the Nerf gun for a paintball gun or Taser.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Nerf...-Gun/?ALLSTEPS

This is not a remote control, it is a people recognizing fire control system with Nerf gun attached.
Has anyone built anything like this?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old July 9, 2013, 10:51 PM   #2
Nickel Plated

Yep, been done a while ago with airsoft guns.

The airsoft version used AEG's (Automatic Electric Gun) where the firing circuitry was simply wired directly to the gun's circuitry to make it fire. but i figure it wouldn't be hard to just rig up a servo that pulls a trigger on a mechanical gun when the fire command is given.

Would be interesting though, if you set up a completely automated turret like this with a semi-automatic gun, and just made a servo or some sort of wheel mechanism that repeatedly presses the trigger while it sees a target, does that count as an MG? Since it's automatically firing the gun.

Edit; Pretty cool that he made it not fire at anyone wearing a shirt with a certain logo. So it can detect friend from foe.
Old July 9, 2013, 11:22 PM   #3
TXAZ

Hey Nickel,
Would your local PD get upset in your neighborhood if you had one?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old July 10, 2013, 04:03 AM   #4
Tejicano

Years ago I saw a video on-line which showed 6 (IIRC) AK mechanisms linked together to spin around a central axle and moved by a crank. The magazines projected outward and the barrels were parallel with the central axle.

As I understand it this mechanism is legal as each firearm only fires one single bullet when the trigger passes by a cam which depresses the bullet and fires the rifle.

I saw it fitted with 30 round magazines but I suppose it would run with 75 round drums as well.
Old July 10, 2013, 10:45 AM   #5
Skans

There would be all kinds of legal problems doing this with a real gun. First, it could be a machine gun, because the electronic device can likely be made to repeatedly press the trigger (or firing mechanism) with one press of an electronic trigger. (think electric drill/cam hooked up to the trigger of a semi-auto rifle. This has been done, and one press of the drill trigger caused the gun to fire repeatedly, thus a machine gun.)

Also, it would be a modern version of a "spring gun". Spring guns are basically loaded and cocked shotguns mounted somewhere with a spring or string tied to the trigger and a door, where the shotgun will fire when a door is opened. Usually at the person trying to enter the door. These were determined to be illegal most everywhere a long time ago.
Old July 10, 2013, 10:51 AM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Plated
Would be interesting though, if you set up a completely automated turret like this with a semi-automatic gun, and just made a servo or some sort of wheel mechanism that repeatedly presses the trigger while it sees a target, does that count as an MG? Since it's automatically firing the gun.
Yes, it would be an illegal machine gun. Any firearms which discharges more than one round by a single action of the user is a machine gun. The ATF doesn't care how "Rube Goldberg" you make it. If you can press one button or trigger or kick one bowling ball down a ramp and the gun fires more than one round, you have a machine gun.

In fact, I'd be willing to bet that being in possession of such a device that was design for airsoft guns but could be "readily converted" to hold/use a real gun and possessing a real gun at the same time/place would put one in "Constructive Possession" of an illegal machine gun.

Other devices, like crank fire mechanisms, are legal under federal law because the require continuous input from the user. Mounting a drill on a crank fire device would make it illegal again, though, since pulling the drill trigger is a single action by the user.
Old July 13, 2013, 07:30 PM   #7
Nickel Plated

But here, the user does nothing. The gun targets and fires on it's own. There is no user.

Though I guess flipping the power switch on would count as a trigger and any shots the thing decides to fire afterwards are gonna count as automatic fire.
Old July 13, 2013, 08:06 PM   #8
alex0535

Some of this kind of stuff was actually done in my state.

Webcam and internet controlled shotguns, probably used to hunt hogs from the comfort of a living room. Very illegal, the setup was hauled away before the DHS was able to get there to investigate.

http://gawker.com/5735034/webcam+con...-georgia-woods