The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 3, 2013, 10:16 PM   #1
levi431

Where is the ammo going

yes this might be a repeat question i am sure of that and im sure that its a stupid question. But i have heard multiple stories as to where the ammo is going and why it is in such high demand. what is the true story behind the amo shortage and where is it all going
Old April 3, 2013, 10:40 PM   #2
ryanryan03

Everywhere I shop locally it is always wiped out. Very lame.

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other one thing." - Abraham Lincoln
Old April 3, 2013, 10:45 PM   #3
lamarw

Very simple, have you seen the recent stats. on gun sales? It is booming to put it mildly. People do not buy new guns without buying ammunition.

Are you old enough to remember the gas shortage? If so, remember the gas stations were out of gas. The refineries were making it as fast as they could, and the trucks were hauling it to the gas stations as fast as they could. At the gas station, cars were lined up for blocks. As soon as the trucks emptied into the empty tanks the cars sucked it all up. The tanks at the stations were empty again and cars are still lining up.

Now simply think in terms of ammunitions vs. gasoline.

I think things will be OK again around Christmas. (I didn't say which year.)

I am OK since I reload and I bought plenty of components with the old addage "ahead of the demand" vs. the new age addage of "just in time" buying.
Old April 3, 2013, 11:32 PM   #4
DPris
Member Emeritus

It's all going to those who are buying it faster than it can be stocked.
Period.
No mystery.
Extremely simple.
Denis
Old April 3, 2013, 11:34 PM   #5
chris in va

Yup. Panic buying. No real conspiracy.

People learned from their mistakes four years ago with the first panic. They're stocking up.
Old April 4, 2013, 06:16 AM   #6
Kreyzhorse

People are simply buying and hoarding it in a lot of cases. This is all being caused by panic buying due to the current political climate.

With Mr Obama's current push to get states to enact his agenda, I don't look for a break any time soon.
Old April 4, 2013, 06:44 AM   #7
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome to TFL, levi431!

We've had dozens of these ammo shortage threads, and it just appears to be simply a matter of demand outstripping supply.

However, given that we have had dozens of these threads, I'm going to close this thread. If you have more questions about the Great Ammo Shortage of 2013, you're certainly free to ask it in one of the currently-open threads on the matter.