The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 9, 2011, 03:25 PM   #26
customaquatics

i shot the remington loads just cause i love the remington brand but i bought the win super X 2 3/4 hollow point rifled slugs
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.
Old October 9, 2011, 03:39 PM   #27
dc88

Well we bought the super X bird shot, so not sure how much of a difference its going to make for you.

You are going to make whoever is on the opposite end of a hollow point shotgun slug have a very, very bad day lol.
Old October 9, 2011, 03:42 PM   #28
tahunua001

Quote:
an if mossberg is right when they say they are the only shotgun to blow threw 3k rounds of buckshot an yes they are cheaper then benelli why aren't they still using them?
actually I've never even seen the M1014 but every day I see someone packing the M500, the M1014 is not 100% fielded and the M500 hasn't even begun to get phased out yet, at least with the navy anyway. and the M500 was orgininlly based off of the remington 870 and for a long time it was manufactured by both mossberg and remington, remingtons contract ran out long ago and now all of the M500s are mossbergs. not to rethreadjack, I am just stating that some parts of your arguements aren't 100% correct.
Old October 9, 2011, 03:52 PM   #29
customaquatics

ya i was going off of what i was told cause i got a couple friends in the army an thats what they state. cause i was askin him if they can spare any uhh parts but he said there unit uses the 20" barrel with a grip an 8 round mag tube.
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.
Old October 9, 2011, 04:21 PM   #30
TheKlawMan

IIRC, the reason that Mossberg got the contract for military shotguns was that Remington chose not to bid for it. To Remington, the cost of meeting the unique military specifications at a competitive price wasn't justified. That doesn't mean that a Mossberg or a Remington is superior.
Old October 9, 2011, 05:08 PM   #31
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by customaquatics
ya if you get a mossy you will prolly love it i know i love mine
Didn't you start the thread my mossberg sucks ?
Old October 10, 2011, 08:51 AM   #32
customaquatics

lol i hate rust i believe what it is that were it is rusting at is were some of the blue has worn to the metal an the rust is going after that. need to get it re-blued.
Old October 10, 2011, 12:11 PM   #33
dc88

where about is your mossy rusting from?

Ill pay attention more to the areas your rustin from on my dads gun just incase its a production weakness goin on. Im guessin its somewhere around the receiver area since it gets the most action.
Old October 10, 2011, 01:25 PM   #34
BigJimP

On a budget ....Browning BPS Hunter model is a solid all around gun ...
http://www.browning.com/products/cat...unter-firearms

They're selling new in my area for around $ 550.
---------------------
or a Browning Silver hunter ( semi-auto ) ...is another good all around gun...

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...unter-firearms

I've seen them on sale in my area for around $ 800.

-----------------
A good verstaile 12ga - with a 28" barrel and changeable screw in chokes will be a solid hunting gun ( birds, clays, etc )....
Old October 10, 2011, 02:24 PM   #35
oneounceload

You mentioned clays and some hunting - in that regard, I wouldn't worry about having more than two shot capacity if I found an O/U or SxS I really liked - whether or not that can be done in your budget is something that will require patience and a lot of looking.

The conundrum happens because you will want a heavy gun for clay shooting and a light gun for toting in the field all day

You might be able to find a used Beretta gas gun in your range - IMO, that would be better than a pump, especially for quick second follow-up shots
Old October 10, 2011, 09:52 PM   #36
tahunua001

Quote:
The conundrum happens because you will want a heavy gun for clay shooting and a light gun for toting in the field all day
I pack my AR15 with all of it's goodies and a 45 service on my hip when I'm hunting, I've never really payed much mind to gun weight unless it doesn't have a sling, in which case I can always switch arms as I get tired. I'm not really worried about a heavey hunting gun, I'm just looking for something I can change the chokes with, and be able to do multiple followup shots with if I miss, I've tended to be pretty bad aim with a shotgun