The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 4, 2011, 06:59 PM   #1
nl2471

AR 15 Barrel Wrench

I am building an AR-15 with a 20in DPMS bull barrel. My friend lent me an olympic multitool but the barrel wrench part of it is too small and does not fit around the bull barrel. I'm looking at buying a PRI barrel wrench but before I buy it I want to be sure it will fit over the bull barrel. The barrel is .920". Thanks in advance for any input.
Old April 5, 2011, 01:26 AM   #2
HiBC

I am not sure I am following you.In my experience,"barrel wrench"may not be the right term.The barrel does not turn in the upper receiver.There is a barrel nut that tightens to the upper receiver,over the barrel extension.There are barrel nut wrenches.I have used the GI pattern,the DPMS pattern,and the
Yankee Hill pattern.All of them have 3 dowel pins that engage the holes through the barrel nut that the gas tube passes through.None of the tools I used would have any problem with a bull barrel.Now some how you have to hold the barrel or receiver while you torque.
I have used the aluminum vise jaws that fit various barrels,and I have a splined wrench(Brownells) that goes through the upper and engages the locking lug recesses.Some use the ones that clamshell around the receiver.
You might consider a GI armorers tech manual,or some of the other references available to step you through it.
Old April 5, 2011, 01:16 PM   #3
nl2471

The tool I need is what is used to tighten the barrel nut. It is the kind that has 3 prongs like you said however the problem is that the tool is not large enough to wrap around the bull barrel. This is the tool that I am looking at buying http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=123930 I just want go be sure that the hole cut in it is large enough to slide over the bull barrel. Thank you for your response I hope that this post has clarified my problem.
Old April 6, 2011, 02:28 PM   #4
Joat

This is the one we use at the shop Mil-Spec wrench, haven't found a barrel that it won't fit over.

Joat