The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 11, 2009, 07:00 PM   #1
bamafan4life

got a turkish mauser

okay i got a turkish mauser 8mm today from a friend needing money. i was wondering whats the largest cal this large ring mauser can handle? i was thinking about getting a gun smith to chamber it to .300 mag or 30.06 can this action handle it? yet again ill say its turkish. so i dont know also if i do decide to sportorize it i would like to know who sells a good .30 cal barrel 26+inches (want a target gun). any help will be appreciated.
Old March 11, 2009, 11:17 PM   #2
Scorch

Turkish Mausers are a mixed lot, some are M98 pattern, some are M93 pattern, some of them are re-marked large ring/large thread actions, some are large ring/small thread actions. Either way, you can have a gunsmith take a look at it and give you his suggestions.
Old March 11, 2009, 11:29 PM   #3
MountainBear

Location: Floating between Oregon and Alaska depending on the season...
You need to check the action length, specifically the mag box length. I'm currently working on a custom rifle from a Turk action and the mag box was not long enough for .30-06 length cartridge. If you're so inclined, the .257 Roberts was based on the 7x57 case and should feed very well in that action. It fits the feed rails, the mag box length, the bolt face, and the extractor.