The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 7, 2008, 08:39 PM   #1
Strakele

Thinking about buying an AK

Hey guys,

A friend and I were thinking about picking up a pair of AK's from the next gun show. These are really just going to be fun guns. We're not looking for pristine condition or great accuracy (speaking in AK terms). Just something we can take out for a fun day at the range and blow through some cheap ammo.

I'd just like some input on what to look for, what to stay away from, what to ask about, etc. Gun shows around here generally have some good prices which is why I'll be looking there. I know everything there isn't as great as some sellers would make it out to be, so I'd like some specific things to look for and check for, anything that should generally be avoided, and anything that we should specifically ask about.

Thanks a lot!
Old March 7, 2008, 09:07 PM   #2
Rant Casey

If you can get past the thumbhole stock, Mak 90s are great although im sure many will disagree. My mak would feed any ammo with no problems, and having the rifle at a younger age, I constantly neglected it (never cleaned it). I also just picked up a new Romanian AES-10 RPK which shoots better than any AK i've fired. Not a big fan of the WASR10 though, although they seem to have a steady following. Good luck.
Old March 7, 2008, 09:15 PM   #3
jdc1244

I’ll just recommend the Yugo M70B like the one I own. It’s a good, basic, sturdy, fixed wood stock AK. Mines been a joy to shoot and completely reliable.
Old March 7, 2008, 09:18 PM   #4
jpwilly

I'd suggest getting the best you can afford so you won't have to wonder why you got the beater. Quality is always something you can be proud of. AKM's are FUN

Here's me shooting mine (I've posted this a few times sorry if you've seen it):
Old March 7, 2008, 10:27 PM   #5
YukonKid

you got a broken pinky Jp?

I have one that is the exact same and it always sticks out like that, when im drinking from a glass, shooting, playing pool ect.

anyhow, back to the question. I think they are really easy to upgrade guns and if you got an issue with one you get then just put some quality parts on it.

YK
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!
Old March 7, 2008, 10:44 PM   #6
jpwilly

Quote:
you got a broken pinky Jp?
No no...if you watch the video I'm bumping the AKM a little and the pinky gets to hanging ten...sorry!
Old March 7, 2008, 11:54 PM   #7
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

just a quick question on the ak's.

I'm thinking about buying one here pretty soon, and I'm just wondering what all do you have to do to clean them and what's trigger slap or rebound or whatever?
Old March 8, 2008, 12:05 AM   #8
Rant Casey

Trigger slap is just what it sounds like, it's the trigger slapping back against your finger. Nothing a dremel can't fix. Cleaning your ak? There's really not much to it at all. Here, just a quick search on youtube brought this up. Didn't watch it so I can't attest to its accuracy. http://youtube.com/watch?v=EPq0jH1rShA
Old March 8, 2008, 12:15 AM   #9
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

OMG I love that vid, lol.

My favorite part...

"The AK is so easy to clean, you only need a paper towel!"

lol thanks man. Imma going to put all other purchases off for an ak.
Old March 8, 2008, 10:13 PM   #10
22_Shooter

Make sure to wear a mask when cleaning your AK like that guy did. It makes a world of difference.
Old March 8, 2008, 10:49 PM   #11
Rant Casey

I always dress up when cleaning my weapons, makes me feel tough :barf:
Old March 8, 2008, 11:11 PM   #12
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

lol. I did a complete strip down and clean-rebuild on my Mosin and K31. It's been a while, and you probably wouldn't believe me, but I swear, I got two spoons full of gunk out of both guns. Crazy...
Old March 9, 2008, 01:15 AM   #13
CGSteve8718

The most important area to clean on an AK/AKM is inside the gas block, and just like any other gun, the bore. The gas tube should also be wiped through, I don't think it has to be pristine. After that, the bolt face and the gas piston are easily brushed clean.
Old March 9, 2008, 01:19 AM   #14
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

yeah I'm definately going to be buying an AK now, lol.
Old March 9, 2008, 02:09 AM   #15
lil_bro

Something you might want to consider is buy a Saiga 7.62x39mm and the necessary parts to make it US compliant.(if you want the pistol grip,folding stock,etc.)

By doing this you can get a Russian AK that is brand new for around $400.00.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/ind...OD&ProdID=1633

Look here for more info about the compliant parts and doing the conversion.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?act=idx

Mike.
Old March 9, 2008, 02:13 AM   #16
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

naw I'm going to talk to my gunshop, they'll special order one that's already been converted.
Old March 9, 2008, 10:38 PM   #17
Strakele

MosinFreak - you're jackin my thread man!

Anyway, I'm lookin in the $300 range for the gun. I know an AK in that range may not be as nice as others in the $600-700 range, but I just want a fun gun that I don't have to worry about too much. Anything I should be checking for other than canted sights and rough spots in the action?
Old March 9, 2008, 11:47 PM   #18
urban assault

Have you considered an AK-74? 5.45 is truly a JOY to shoot, and is damn cheap too. $120 for a spam can of 1,080 milsurp steel core rifle ammo is very nice.

Little or no recoil, an accurate round that is flat-shooting, and if you ever have to hump it around for some unforeseen reason it weighs less than 7.62.

Just something to think about.

-urban
"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife... And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next!" - Gladiator

"You can get further with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
Old March 10, 2008, 01:19 AM   #19
Crosshair

Quote:
I'm just wondering what all do you have to do to clean them ......
For cleaning, I slap some grease on all the moving parts after removing the old grease. (Don't have to get all of it off, just most of it.) The below pic gives you a good idea of where to put it.

The Cam slot on the bolt carrier is important to lube. It can be run dry, but works better when lubed. Also apply grease on the locking or to the locking lugs on the bolt, whatever is easiest for you. A generous amount on the recoil spring as well.

The AK is not very fussy when it comes to what kind of grease is used. Personally, I use grease on everything in my AK with no ill effect. Grease stays put, unlike oil. I use a high-end grease from the gun store, however many other people use basic lithium grease that is bought in a 1 lb tub. Some people use ATF fluid and motor oil. (Detergent free is best.) It works, though it is a little thin for the job.

As for how much to put on? Any extra will be quickly slung off, making a bit of a mess. Grease it up, take it out of the range and shoot it a bit, take it apart and note how much grease is left at what points. You will quickly figure out how much is enough. You want as much on as you can without it slinging off. I use flat toothpicks to apply grease, they are cheap, small enough to get into the tinny spots, and soft enough that they won't scratch anything. I also use them for scraping off fouling.

Other than greasing, I put a few patches though the bore and scrub the piston with some solvent and a paper towel. (NO LUBE ON THE PISTON!!!!.)
Old March 10, 2008, 11:15 PM   #20
Strakele

Yes, I have thought about an AK-74. Is it possible to get a decent AK74 in the $300 range? If so, that's what I may do. Also, where do you guys buy AK's from? I hear/see a bunch of people talking about their $300 AK, but all the places I look online are in the $500-700 range. Is that just par for the course with new ones? Or am I just not looking in the right place. Like I mentioned earlier, a bit used is ok with me.
Old March 11, 2008, 01:37 AM   #21
Csspecs

You really are better off spending the extra 100-150 for a better gun. Good AK-74s are going to cost more with the barrel ban stopping the kits from being imported, then you have WASRs and they are iffy.

If your buying a AK-74 get a tantal or something higher end.
Old March 13, 2008, 06:02 PM   #22
Trinity-Nine

I'm also in the market for an AK-47. I'm looking for something that is more accurate than the "average" out of the box WASR, for example. Budget is around $500-600.

What about Vector Arms AK V 47
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/prog...d.asp?Prodid=9

AKM 47
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/prog...asp?Prodid=462

This one would be in my high price range:
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/prog...asp?Prodid=219

Anyone ever checkout Never Enough Guns? What do you think of his builds and pricing? http://www.neverenoughguns.com
Old March 13, 2008, 06:32 PM   #23
Teufelhunden

Quote:
blow through some cheap ammo.
Let me know when you find some of that--my SKS needs some more range love

-Teuf

"One hundred rounds do not constitute firepower. One hit contitutes firepower." -Gen. Merritt Edson, USMC
Old March 14, 2008, 06:25 PM   #24
Strakele

Those look pretty nice.

Either way I think I'm still looking for a standard AK 47 7.62 in the $300-350 range. I'm thinking a Romainian SAR-1 would be good.

What do you think?