The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 3, 2012, 01:23 PM   #26
Winchester_73

If your budget is $700 to $900, you could buy something better such as a pre 1970 trooper, or a vintage 19/66 or even a S&W model 27 or 28. Neither one of those guns is anything special IMO. A 19-7 might be pre lock, but its also not P&R'd. A trooper MKIII was how Colt cheapened the trooper. Before that, Troopers had the same basic lockwork as a python, and were great shooters.

There are better deals to be had. Both guns are common.
Old September 3, 2012, 02:23 PM   #27
Florida Guy

I recently bought a S&W model 520, which is the replacement for the model 19 in the larger L frame.
It comes with a titanium cylinder.
These can handle magnum loads without a problem, and certainly any amount of 38's.
These were also made in SS in model 620, which replaced model 66.
I also own 2 model 19's and 2 model 66's.

Old September 3, 2012, 02:32 PM   #28
22-rimfire

I think the prices are too high for either. I'd walk. I think you would be better off with a M27 Smith than the M19 for a range gun.

I will however tell you that my favorite 357 mag revolver for shooting is a 6" Trooper Mark III and I own a GP-100 too.
Old September 3, 2012, 03:03 PM   #29
ma_deuce

The OP doesn't say where he's from, but around here (Mid-Atlantic) $700 wouldn't be all that high for a LNIB 19-7 with papers and tools. I paid $595 earlier this year for a 95% 19-4 6" w/o box. Admittedly, P&R, but not easy to find any 19s locally.
Old September 3, 2012, 03:34 PM   #30
Shadi Khalil

Could be that the OP is in Canada.
Old September 10, 2012, 11:27 PM   #31
Billy Shears

Appreciate all the input, guys. As it turned out, this was all just an academic exercise after all. The shop owner doesn't want to budge on his prices and even said he thinks his Colt may be priced a little low. Not sure where he's getting his info, since both revolvers have been in his display case for the better part of a year, but after reading your comments and other similar threads I'm content to keep on shooting my reliable old GP100 while I wait for a better opportunity to appear.

Thanks again.
Old September 11, 2012, 06:58 AM   #32
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I recently bought a S&W model 520, which is the replacement for the model 19 in the larger L frame."

Seriously?

They called it the 520?

Now they're not just using the old names (Chief's Special used to be only a revolver, but now it's a revolver, a semi-auto, a rifle, a bicycle, a folding knife, and 17 items from their damned gift shop...) but the old numbers, too.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 12, 2012, 01:44 PM   #33
wingspar

The prices are probably a bit high, but since the seller won’t budge, and you have already decided to pass on them, you will find a better deal if you are set on those models.

I have a 19-3 with 4-inch barrel I bought used in 1984 for about $250 and my other half inherited a 19-4 with a 6-inch barrel last year. Her heavier longer barrel and thicker grips help with recoil.

Should you end up with a Model 19-x, stay away from the 125 grain bullets. Over time they can damage the forcing cone. If you look around you will find some good articles on that. Stick with the 158 grain bullets and any load of .38 Specials, including +P and have fun with it.

I know nothing about Colts, so no comment on the Colt.
Old September 12, 2012, 05:16 PM   #34
m16tackdriver

The prices do seem high, for the Colt especially. The first handgun I ever bought was a Trooper Mk III with a 6" bbl. I still have it, it is a wonderful revolver. I also have a Colt Python with a 6" bbl and I still shoot them both regularly.

If money is not an object, I would go with the Colt.
Old September 16, 2012, 05:15 PM   #35
dgludwig

Quote:
If money is not an object, I would go with the Colt.
And if money is an object (which I suspect is the case with most of us), go with the Smith-but offer at least $100.00 under the current "asking" price.
Old September 17, 2012, 12:34 AM   #36
FM12

Trooper now, S&W later. Colts are really rare now.
Old September 17, 2012, 10:38 AM   #37
Winchester_73

Quote:
If money is not an object, I would go with the Colt
Quote:
Trooper now, S&W later. Colts are really rare now.
Thats the kind of logic that dealers love. The blue MKIII 357 6 in trooper is about as common as can be. So the dealer has an easy time getting one, gives it the Colt markup, and sells it for immense profits because some guy saw it had a pony on the side. Not every Colt is equal.

Colts also are not rare, you just have to know where to look. I love when dealers slap a "Colt price" on something and then price some S&W or a gun from WWII too low. I laugh all the way to the bank.

You can't just buy "colt" and do well, it depends on which Colt it is, and several other factors.

Last edited by Winchester_73; September 17, 2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old September 17, 2012, 04:58 PM   #38
Strafer Gott

I really like my Trooper III. It doesn't stack much with that geared trigger.
$500 is closer to a real price. The attraction with model 19's is the recessed cylinders and the pinned barrels. $500 should get you a real nice one. $900 might get both of them. HBDC
Old September 17, 2012, 06:08 PM   #39
Glenn Dee

IMO...pass on both gun's. Both way overpriced. If it's going to a shooter the box and papers are not that important. Think more in the range of $350.00 to no more than $500.... Both guns are great ... the colt tends to be a bit more fragile, and will be harder to get repared. Dont worry about the whole .357 flame cutting erosion thing... Unless you can afford to plink and target shoot with full house light weight ammo... it wont be an issue. IMO Both guns can do tripple duty. Fun/range gun, self protection, put meat on the table.
Old September 22, 2012, 12:55 PM   #40
FLChinook

Sorry, I started a comment and decided to start a new thread...

Last edited by FLChinook; September 22, 2012 at 01:34 PM.