The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 6, 2011, 02:13 PM   #26
Deerhunter

We had a couple of feeders up that went off at 0800 and 1600. They worked pretty good. In another spot there was no place to hang a feeder so we just dumped corn on the ground. The deer always hit those 3 spots, depending on which surrounding area they bedded in.

I have tried C'meer Deer...shake and take and the 3 day harvest and it was just more money than corn.

We have put out just about every mineral that they sell at Bass Pro Shops and the deer hit them pretty good.

I have tried several scents and nothing. This past year I might have had one deer interested but no conclusive results.

I wash my cloths in Primos Silver XP, Scent Away dryer sheets, then use the and store them in bags. I also shower with Primos Silver body soap and shampoo. Not sure if it makes a difference or not.

Remember that ALL States are different and what you can do in one you might not be able to do in another. Just because you can't do a lot of the things listed in this thread doesn't mean others can't where they hunt.
Old June 6, 2011, 05:26 PM   #27
Rembrandt

I've found planting a garden or setting out some expensive ornamental shrubs will nearly get you run over.
Old June 6, 2011, 11:13 PM   #28
40caljustice

I dig some good dirt with a strong odor, mostly under thick leaves, and throw a few scoops in a paper bag. Then throw my hunting clothes right on top the dirt and let it sit for about 3 weeks before season starts. I also found the scent wafers that pin to your clothes that work extremely well. You can find it in Earth to Pine scent. Depends on where I'm headed. I think they also have estrus sent too.

I've never used a feeder or "bait". Not opposed to it because I believe I would use it, I just don't think its legal here. I have sat on a few clover patches. Same thing?

I have always liked the scouting part of hunting. Do the work during summer and a bit in early fall has always panned out well for me. Find their water, food, and bedding and catch them between somewhere.
Old June 7, 2011, 11:02 PM   #29
A_Gamehog

I tried alfalfa bales one year and all I got to my tree stand were Cows...
Old June 8, 2011, 07:55 AM   #30
FTG-05

Good point about the legality of baiting in various states.

For example, using anything other than plain salt in the state of Alabama is baiting, and if done prior to 10 days to hunting an area, is illegal.

So, I question the statement from those in Alabama that bait and then state "it works", assuming of course if the definition of "it works" is actually killing a deer vs. just getting them to come back after 10 days. Essentially, they are admitting to illegal hunting on a public forum.

Last edited by FTG-05; June 9, 2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old June 8, 2011, 11:44 AM   #31
Deerhunter

@FTG.....I would give them some lea way on that. I will talk about baiting as when I lived in PA we could legally do it for a few years. I still hunt up there but we can't bait. Sometimes I respond about the baiting and if one were to look at where I am at now, VA, they would/could think that I am/did do something illegal.

I find it funny that so many places have these huge deer problems, yet they don't let people bait. We could bait in PA for a few years but then they stopped it. They claimed that it wasn't working. My buddy and I don't really agree with that cause we saw/shot a lot of deer over corn in the years they let us do it.

Wish they would let us do it at least here in the Northern part of VA where they claim we have way too many deer.
Old June 8, 2011, 12:59 PM   #32
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Lay on the ground and make sounds like an apple. When they come up to you blow in their ear and they will follow you home.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old June 8, 2011, 11:10 PM   #33
big al hunter

I have found that the best way to see deer is to have an elk tag in my pocket. The best way to see elk is to have a deer tag. When i can hunt either at the same time I see lots of trees and grass but no deer or elk.
Old June 9, 2011, 08:56 AM   #34
FTG-05

Deerhunter, I clarified my post to explicitly state that I was referring to the state of Alabama. Other than that, there is no "leeway" on the subject of deer baiting in the state of Alabama.
Old June 12, 2011, 09:29 PM   #35
sc928porsche

I dont bait deer for hunting, but I do enjoy enticing them into camp. Raw potatoes and apples work well. Just cut them up into bite sized chunks.
Old June 12, 2011, 10:03 PM   #36
shortwave

Hmmm... wondering if those against baiting ever hunt over soybean,tobacco,sorghum,corn,clover or alfalfa fields. Or any other crop planted by farmers in your respective areas. Or maybe hunt stands of oak,beech or hickory trees. I hear the deer love the orange groves down south. Maybe hunt over known watering holes?

Since we know this is where the deer are going to feed or water, aren't we all using some type of food/water as bait???
Old June 13, 2011, 05:37 AM   #37
Outlaw81

Try slowly making your way through the woods in the middle of the day. I've shot too many 10 pointers to not stand behind it. Most of the time I wear no camo. Just dark colors and my orange. Hunt with the wind in your face and try not to make any quick moves. The deer are always there. You have to realize that the second they see you, they freeze. They will stand there and watch you 99.9% of the time without you even knowing they're there. It's only when you get way too close do they blow n go. As far as bait goes, I personally think it's unethical. But if you would really like to know what gets em in.... Sugar products, plain n simple. These creatures eat corn, acorns and other junk that doesn't taste great all the time. It's no wonder that they go nuts on sweet stuff when presented the chance. My buddy swears by Bisquick pancake batter. Me personally I've seen a lil six pointer lickin on my spit out skoal wintergreen.
Old June 13, 2011, 06:54 AM   #38
camper4lyfe

Quote:
Hmmm... wondering if those against baiting ever hunt over soybean,tobacco,sorghum,corn,clover or alfalfa fields. Or any other crop planted by farmers in your respective areas. Or maybe hunt stands of oak,beech or hickory trees. I hear the deer love the orange groves down south. Maybe hunt over known watering holes?

Since we know this is where the deer are going to feed or water, aren't we all using some type of food/water as bait???
In NY, it's illegal to hunt over baits. HOWEVER, all those things you listed are not baits. If they grow out of the ground "naturally", they are not considered baits. Using cut up apples, salt licks, piles of corn, etc. is considered baiting and will get you arrested in a hurry if you get caught.
Old June 13, 2011, 08:23 AM   #39
shortwave

Quote:
In NY its illegal to hunt over bait.
I understand in some states 'baiting' is illegal and we need to follow the law as interpreted/stated in the area we're hunting in.

Quote:
If they grow out of the ground "naturally" they are not considered baits.
So in NY, its illegal to hunt over a pile of corn,apples,etc., but I can plant a small hunting plot in the middle of the woods(not a big food plot), hunt it and thats legal/ethical? Too, are deer scent attractants legal in NY? If so, would you consider them a form of 'bait' also?

Last edited by shortwave; June 13, 2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old June 13, 2011, 08:40 AM   #40
camper4lyfe

Quote:
So in NY, its illegal to hunt over a pile of corn,apples,etc., but I can plant a small hunting plot in the middle of the woods(not a big food plot), hunt it and thats legal/ethical? Too, are deer scent attractants legal in NY? If so, would you consider them a form of 'bait' also?
Correct. If it's growing out of the ground, it's legal.

Scent attractants are legal in NY. I wouldn't call them a bait, though I don't have a justification for that. There's an ethical grey area there. I don't use them, though I've tried in the past, because I've never had any luck with them.
Old June 13, 2011, 10:01 AM   #41
shortwave

Quote:
Correct. If its growing out of the ground, it's legal.
Yet in other states that would be considered 'baiting', and is illegal , as with scent attractants. Guess it depends on where your accustomed to hunting!

My point is, that to often, we as hunters are to quick to chastise(or deem un-ethical) other forms of hunting which we may not be accustomed to simply cause we've not hunted in someone else's 'neck of the woods'. Example: Here in Ohio, its illegal to gun hunt deer with a rifle. Shotgun,pistol or BP only. I know people here that think hunting deer with a rifle is unethical. Too, a few that think hunting them with anything but a bow is unethical. These same people have never been anywhere else but here hunting.

No disrespect intended but the recent post by Outlaw about 'sneaking through the woods'. Try that in many places out west.

While 'baiting' in my area may be interpreted/defined by DNR in one way, its defined differently in others.

If a persons hunting legally in their respective areas, IMO, we shouldn't chastise them for doing so.

Also, again, no disrespect but this ethical/unethical debate should be another thread.

Sorry OP for the thread veer.
Old June 13, 2011, 08:06 PM   #42
Kreyzhorse

I can't swear to your experience, but I carry peppermint with me. I always have a piece handy for those times when my mouth gets dry. Anyway, I once had two doe, and was I sitting on the ground, walk right up to me when I had peppermint in my mouth. I saw them come in, sniff, keep sniffing and make their way directly to me. These doe got to within 3 to 4 feet of me. At that point, they got spooky and took off.

Ever since, I always keep peppermint handy because it worked at least once.
Old June 13, 2011, 08:29 PM   #43
shortwave

Quote:
Ever since, I always keep peppermint handy...
Funny you mention that Krezyhorse. A buddy of mine mixes a bit of peppermint and spearmint seed in his clover when planting. I've never tried it but he swears by it. Says the deer really won't eat the plants till they mature. Suppose they get sweeter then.

Your bag of peppermint candy surely would be cheaper and alot less work.

Last edited by shortwave; June 13, 2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old June 13, 2011, 08:57 PM   #44
Geezerbiker

Perhaps we should work up a list of good things to plant to attract deer? I'm looking to grow some apple trees in plastic buckets and transplant them to fresh clear cuts when they're big enough. When I was a kid, we had a crab-apple tree on the corner of our property and it would draw the deer in like a magnet...

Tony
Old June 13, 2011, 09:24 PM   #45
oo0juice0oo

Clover grows wild in a few patches on my property and they eat the hell out of it. One patch is right next to the driveway leading up to the house, most of the time they won't stop eating to take off until the truck is right next to them.
Old June 15, 2011, 01:14 PM   #46
Gunplummer

tinks

This is a gun forum, but I have had Tinks lure work very well during Archery season. I drag a rag around through the brush in a crazy pattern and then throw it up in a tree to really get the scent out. Tie a bolt or washer to the rag with a long piece of twine so you can get it back down and seal it in a plastic bag.
I have had a buck rub the tree the rag was in, had a buck make a scrape under the tree the rag was in and pee in it. I had two bucks come flying down through the woods to the rag as soon as I threw it up in the tree and was caught standing there. I had a large doe come walking up with her tongue out and lay down under the rag in the tree. I think it only really works like that if there are doe in heat in the area or close to being in heat. Maybe 3 days a year?
Old June 15, 2011, 03:00 PM   #47
FrankenMauser

Tip: Don't scare them away.
Trick: Wear deodorant. It smells better than BO.
Old June 15, 2011, 04:45 PM   #48
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Corn... Gonna shoot 'em under the feeder in my yard this season...

Brent
Old June 15, 2011, 07:37 PM   #49
shortwave

Gunplummer,

Sounds as though you've had quite the success with the 'ole drag rag' trick. I've used that method during bow season for several years and have literally watched deer come under my stand from a long distance with nose straight on the ground following the scent trail I've laid down.

Very early bow season here in Ohio comes in when the bucks are very territorial and staking off their turf. I'll usually use a buck scent then along with rattling and gruntingmany times proves to be a deadly combo on flushing a dominate buck. As the season progresses and the bucks interest start turning towards the does I'll swith to an estrus scent.

A scent I've had attract both sex's is Trail's Blend made by Outdoor Research. Smells alot like sweet anis.

One important thing I've found is that if your going to lay a long scent trail you need to stop every 30-40yds and freshen your rag up with more scent so it stays strong as you drag. Seems as though deer will travel the scent trail from weakest to strongest scent. Similar to the way a good beagle trails a rabbit.

Hey Hogdogs,

Do deer eat oranges?
Old June 15, 2011, 08:24 PM   #50
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Hey Hogdogs,

Do deer eat oranges?
I have personally never witnessed nor heard complaint of deer feeding on the fruit. But I know the feral hogs will pick them off the tree before the mexicans can get them.

Brent