The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old September 25, 2010, 04:03 PM   #1
lOsTiNcOgNiToKiD

lethality of a 22lr hollowpoint round

Is a .22lr hollowpoint round deadly enough to kill with one shot to a deers head? What are the chances of it's survival?
Old September 25, 2010, 04:05 PM   #2
Scorch

Shooting deer with a rimfire round is illegal.
Next question?
Old September 25, 2010, 04:11 PM   #3
Regolith

If you shoot the deer in the right spot, from close up, yes it will be lethal.

However, the only reasons I can think of to shoot a deer with a .22LR is if you came across an injured deer that needed to be put down and you didn't have anything else on hand, or if you are in a survival situation and don't have any other choice.
Old September 25, 2010, 07:58 PM   #4
30-30remchester

I was a big game guide for years and the only gun I could leagally carry was a 22 handgun. I cant even count the number of deer and elk I have finished off with my Colt Woodsman. HOWEVER they were hurt and easy to approach to within 10 yards. All died instantly with a head shot. I absolutely detest head shots on big game with high power calibers. A miss to the brain can result in the animal starving to death from a broken jaw if the bullet is low. We would find at least one such animal that had its jaw shot off every year, a shot to far forward will result in a blinded animal. However if a 22 lr solid is used I have experemented with deer skulls from dead deer. A miss even in the jaw will many times do nothing but drill a hole through the jaw without breaking it. A miss anywhere but the eyes will result in very little damage. A shot in the neck is the same. With a big game cartridge a shot missing the spine can lead to a gastly infected wound. However a 22 solid with such a miss will simply poke a small hole in and out with very little blood and very minamal meat damage. However I shot a mule deer buck in the head staight on and the first shot bounced off and went whizzing away into the vast unknown. The second shot was up the nose he simple shook his head. I was finally a broadside shot that killed him instantly. Skinny the skull out I found the skid mark from the first shot, the second went up his nose and got between the skull and skin above one eye. Either first 2 shots he could have lived a very long life. Just some real life experences to relay.
Old September 25, 2010, 08:05 PM   #5
Rampant_Colt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lOsTiNcOgNiToKiD
Is a .22lr hollowpoint round deadly enough to kill with one shot to a deers head?
Only if you use Acme depleted uranium .22s

Quote:
Originally Posted by lOsTiNcOgNiToKiD
What are the chances of it's survival?
50/50 chance of survival, but there's only a ten-percent chance of that
Old September 25, 2010, 08:07 PM   #6
psychobily

uhhhhh, I know a guy that has shot a deer between the eyes at 175 yards and it hit the ground like a sack of taters, BUT it is illegal!!!

Sorry, I must state that it was a 22magnum and not a 22LR.

Last edited by psychobily; September 26, 2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old September 26, 2010, 12:20 PM   #7
banditt007

okay, so the guy with 1 post comes on here and talks about shooting deer w/ a .22lr... Hmmmmmmm
Old September 26, 2010, 02:57 PM   #8
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Next question?
Not necessarily. It is illegal in some states. In SC, it is only illegal to use .22 rimfire for hunting deer in WMAs. http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/deer/faqsdeer.html#11

Maine specifically states that .22 magnum may be used to hunt deer.
http://www.maine.gov/ifw/laws_rules/....htm#equipment

Quote:
Is a .22lr hollowpoint round deadly enough to kill with one shot to a deers head?
Of course, assuming sufficient CNS damage is made by the shot which means damage to the brain, brainstem, or top of the spinal cord below the brain stem.

.22 lr are used to put down cattle, so they can kill deer. That does not mean they .22 lr is a good choice, however. Heck, a properly placed pellet from a pellet gun can kill.
Old September 26, 2010, 03:26 PM   #9
Pahoo

Quote:
Next question?
If not illegal, then totally unethical. I have heard stories like this before and have to question the wisdom, common sense or lack of it. .... :barf:

Please don't consider doing this, now or ever again;

Be Safe !!!
Old September 26, 2010, 03:58 PM   #10
oldone

IMO, a .22mag isn't less lethal than a .223. You can buy some pretty lethal loads in both cal.
Old September 26, 2010, 04:24 PM   #11
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If not illegal, then totally unethical. I have heard stories like this before and have to question the wisdom, common sense or lack of it. ....

Please don't consider doing this, now or ever again;
I think Pahoo summed this up nicely. TFL is about responsible firearms ownership. I think it safe to say that includes responsible hunting as well.

Forgive the intrusion Art, but I can't see this one going anywhere but downhill from here.

Closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread