The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 11, 2010, 06:53 PM   #1
Breezes5

Powder Measure Recommendations& bullet measurements

Currently using a Lee Perfect Powder Measure and I am not satisfied with the drops. It seems to throw different weights per drop. So I end measuring each charge to be sure the weight is correct. It's very inconsistent.

Is there a different brand powder measure that will throw a consistently accurate weight?

I understand that there is a max length that a bullet should not be past. What is the correct length for bullet to be set at Ex 45acp max length is 1.275 so from that measurement what is the prefered length 1.270, 1.265 etc. ?
Old February 11, 2010, 07:06 PM   #2
steve4102

Quote:
Is there a different brand powder measure that will throw a consistently accurate weight?
You Betcha!
http://www.harrellsprec.com/
Old February 11, 2010, 07:21 PM   #3
NWPilgrim

The RCBS Uniflow measure with micrometer stem has been great for me over 20 yrs now. recently I started using the Lee Pro Auto Disk for handgun cartridges. I found it easiest to work up loads in the Uniflow, then when I find the best charge weith then use the closest Disk cavity that gives similar weight. What is nice about the fixed cavity Auto Disk is it is very easy and fast to repeat the exact same load several months later. The only thing to watch for is you don't want to use large grain powders with cavities less than 0.40".

For just one measure the Uniflow ith micrometer stem is consistent and serves well, keeping with .1 grain throughout a batch. I imagine the Lyman, Hornady and redding measures are equally good.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old February 11, 2010, 10:51 PM   #4
Hey_Allen

I've had fairly good luck with both of my powder measures, first a Redding, and then a Hornady that came with my LnL AP.

The pistol quantity measure makes all the difference when metering small charges though. I was fighting with the Redding powder measure, trying to get sub 10 grain charges out of the rifle charge measure drum.
Old February 16, 2010, 04:35 PM   #5
cwok

For Steve 4102

I looked at those powder measures.

They certainly appear impressive. How long have you been using yours ?

One thing I am concerned about (besides whether they hold up for a period of time) is that the Website pics don't show how you mount the powder
measures.

Do they fit in common stands sold by RCBS or LEE -- I didn't see anything on the web site about mounting them.
Old February 16, 2010, 05:29 PM   #6
dwhite

Breezes 5, what powder are you using in your Lee PPM? If it's Unique, you will have issues.

I've used mine with Blue-Dot, Universal, 700-X, and Clays with good repeatability. Mine will even drop Clays down to 3 grains with +/- 0.1 grain variance. Universal easily meters the best of them all though. Blue-Dot had pretty wide swings if you didn't use a good rhythm and keep the hopper full. 700-X was god down to 3.6 grains.

Try another powder before you give up on your Lee.

All the Best,
D. White
Old February 16, 2010, 06:18 PM   #7
Doodlebugger45

I've had very good consistency with the Lee Perfect Powder measure EXCEPT when using Unique powder. I think all powder measures have that problem with Unique unless you go to something like a Chargemaster that actually weighs while it dispenses.

All that said though, I am thinking about replacing my Lee Perfect Powder measure, possibly replacing it with the Uniflow. When I get into certain very fine grained powders, it feels like some of the powder is getting into the insides of the Lee unit. I can feel a "grittiness" in there even after I've switched powders for quite awhile. The Lee is plastic insides, I am hoping that maybe one of the more expensive models will do away with that gritty feeling inside the action. Otherwise though, I like the Lee for its consistency and it was a good buy for me to get started with.
Old February 16, 2010, 06:30 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

I've had excellent performance from the Lee Perfect measure, and keep two of them in my range box for load development. I believe Lee specifically warns against using the Perfect measure with Unique. The coarse flakes don't play nicely with its integral powder baffle.

Note, too, that the Lee Perfect measure's powder hopper cuts the powder flow off when you rotate it a partial turn on the measure. That's so you can change hoppers and powders without emptying one first (Lee sells spare hoppers separately). If you have the hopper rotated somewhere between opened and closed, any powder can meter erratically in it. Be sure it's fully open.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle