The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 26, 2012, 05:15 PM   #1
GunXpatriot

.410 For Clay Pigeons?

I was interested in buying a Springfield M6 Scout. That would technically make it my first shotgun. I've only shot clay targets once in my life and have been planning on buying a launcher.

What do you guys think about shooting them with a .410 shotgun? I've heard people say that it's not only a youth gun, but an expert's gun to use in the field. I've never hunted with a shotgun before, so would it be good to get used to a .410 and then carry the experience over to 12 guage? Thanks!
Old April 26, 2012, 05:25 PM   #2
oneounceload

While your Scout has a shotgun barrel on it, it was designed for close taking of small birds and game in a survival setting. It has none of the characteristics of any form of target gun at all.

410 IS an expert's bore size when it comes to shooting it and doing so successfully, especially with clay targets. It is one of the bore sizes for American Skeet and is also shot in small gauge Sporting Clays competition - typically those guns are 32" over unders weighing about 7.25# however.

This is not to say you can't have a little backyard fun with it - absolutely you can - but do not expect using this to carry over to 12 gauge hunting or competition in any shape form or manner
Old April 26, 2012, 06:14 PM   #3
zippy13

Quote:
...would it be good to get used to a .410 and then carry the experience over to 12 guage?
No, it works much better the other way around. After you become VERY proficient with the 12-ga then you can consider the .410-bore. For hunting, restrict the .410-bore to small game.
Old April 27, 2012, 11:10 AM   #4
BigJimP

+1 to all comments above...

starting with a .410 can destroy your confidence....( my .410 laughs at me...and mumbles.."you suck" ...when I load it in the truck to go to the club )...its an evil thing...

However, as I get into the season ...and I'm out shooting a few hundred targets every week ...mixing in the .410 from time to time / does feel good - and tells me that my stance, swing fundamentals, etc are all on point for a change. I shot my .410 O/U last week - with some success ( a 23 and a 22 on the skeet field - which with a .410 for me, is very good )..../ but in the
.410 I favor an O/U at around 8lbs with 30" barrels ...( same identical specs as my 28ga, 20ga guns and 12ga primary guns ).
Old April 27, 2012, 10:31 PM   #5
Sheikyourbootie

410 is what I started with as a kid. I still love taking it out dove hunting time to time, for old time sake.

Occasional use for trap too.
Old April 27, 2012, 10:57 PM   #6
Slipkey

My first shotgun was a single shot bolt-action .410. It was good in the sense that it taught me good form and to pick my shot and follow through rather than flock shoot as many who started on 12 GA seem to do early on.

I'd spend some time with a buddy manually throwing clays before you try a scored trap, skeet or clays round with a .410. It will be a confidence killer at first but it can also help make you a much better shooter. I took my old 20 GA Wingmaster to the club a few weeks ago and was embarrassed on the trap line by shooting a 9 rather than my usual low 20's with a 12. It motivated me, though, to fix some of my sloppy habits and will force myself to suck it up and spend the summer shooting 20 - which I expect will translate in to better results with the 12 down the road.

Tags
.410 , clay , pigeon , shooting , shotgun