The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 7, 2008, 09:25 PM   #1
goste

Cobray M11 .45

Hello all...

I have a general question, I would like to ask. I know I will need to research a bit, but I just want a basic answer.

I have a one in a lifetime chance, to swap for a select fire m11. The friend that owns it, has had it since 1972. He hasn't fired it since the 80's. My wife's uncle, was the CLEO, who signed off on it. He wants to swap it for something I have..I told him he would get the WORSE end of the deal, but he just wants to get rid of it. Even tho he offered the deal, I just may not be able to profit that much from a friend.

My question it this.....

We both live in TX. Do I just have to send away for a form 4, jump through the hoops, and take possesion? Or, do I have to go through a class 3 FFL?

I really have zero use for a full auto, but this chance will never come along again.. Thanks Caspar
Old April 7, 2008, 09:40 PM   #2
VUPDblue

Send in your Form4s with CLEO signoff, fingerprint cards, and citizenship certification along with a check for $200 and that's all you need to do. Since you are both in the same state, you don't need to go through a dealer. You can't take posession until you get the approved form back, though.
Old April 7, 2008, 09:55 PM   #3
goste

Thanks VUPDblue,

Do I also have to send in passport pic.'s? and what is a citizenship cert?
Old April 8, 2008, 06:58 AM   #4
VUPDblue

There is a place on the Form 4 to attach a passport size picture of yourself. Here is the citizenship cert form.
Old April 19, 2008, 08:45 AM   #5
douglasschuckert

BTW

You can do the F4's without the need of an SOT. You can even start a trust and transfer it thatway as avoid the cleo signatures, fingerprint cards, and photos. Plus the wait time is faster that way too.. you wont wait near as long...

You M11 is 9mm. Its not .45. The only .45 MAC out there is the M-10. The M11 cannot be modified to shoot .45 either. The lower receiver is too narrow to be able to weld a M10 mag housing on it.

When you get this, if you want to sell it, let me know and I'll be the first in line to cut you a check!

Douglas

douglasschuckert(spamaroo)@hotmail.com (remove the (spamaroo) ).
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Fe...d.aspx?id=2668 - HR 1022 Assault Weapons Ban & Law Enforcement Protection Act (2007) http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/409898348 - Online Petition against! DO YOUR PART, WRITE YOUR DAMN REP, and DEMAND VETO!
Old April 19, 2008, 05:47 PM   #6
goste

Thanks Doug, for the info..

This is one of thsose weird deals. the friend that has this, has it concealed under his floor, in a pan of oil...... He took it out for me to look at, and shoot, and I wish I would have looked closer at it, but at the time, he didn't make me the deal he did..I almost hate to admit this, but he wants to swap for a folding stock mini 14 I have. I told him straight up, he was getting screwed, but he want's this mini. ..

However, I'm almost sure it was stamped m11 Cobray, It was a .45... I shot about 50rd's out of it....I may me wrong, but I can't check, cause it's back in it's pan, under the floor. . Thanks again for all the help Guy's .....Caspar
Old April 21, 2008, 12:52 AM   #7
douglasschuckert

Is it full auto? Is it papered? Somthing doesn't sound right...

Why does he keep in in a pan of oil?... Under his floor? Thats just wierd

If it aint papered, DO NOT trade for it AT ALL!! The ATF will MURDER you BOTH!

If he has papers for it (I.e. Form 4) then HELL YEAH TRADE FOR THE SUCKER!!!

Tell the guy that if he can provide some pictures, I'd be willing to give him more than a couple grand $$$ for it.

Doug

One more question.. Its is short and fat or long and skinny?
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Fe...d.aspx?id=2668 - HR 1022 Assault Weapons Ban & Law Enforcement Protection Act (2007) http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/409898348 - Online Petition against! DO YOUR PART, WRITE YOUR DAMN REP, and DEMAND VETO!

Last edited by douglasschuckert; April 21, 2008 at 07:07 AM.
Old April 21, 2008, 04:33 PM   #8
goste

Hey Doug...

Yes, it's full auto, and Yes he has the papers for it.. He is just REAL paranoid.... He does not trust the government. He really wants this mini 14.

I dont know if its short and fat or long and skinny. I dont have any reference. It does have about a ten inch vent.barrel, and its definately a .45. and no pictures, I'm first in line...

Last edited by goste; April 21, 2008 at 04:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old April 22, 2008, 07:33 AM   #9
VUPDblue

Does it look like this

I can't figure out why you say it has like a 10" barrel. Does it maybe have a suppressor?
Old April 22, 2008, 12:22 PM   #10
goste

Thank's for the photo,VUPDblue.

Yes it looks like your photo.I won't be able to see the gun, till my friend get's back next week, But it does have a longer barrel than the one in the pic. It may just be a screw on ventalator, but It's about 10". I'm sure ya'll are right about it being a m10, I should have looked closer, but got caught up in shooting the sucker. Thanks again

Caspar
Old April 23, 2008, 04:45 AM   #11
douglasschuckert

Thats an M10. The M11 is more slider and longer, and only comes in 9mm. The M11-A1 is 380 and looks like a smaller version of the one pictured. These are called "Fat MACs". Its the same one I currently own...

The Military Armament Company Model 10 was the only MAC series produced in .45 caliber. It was first made in 9mm and then adapted to .45 (as I understand it). Througout the years the guns were produced by several different manufacturers have Powder Springs, GA being the most saught after.

Either way you're getting a $3,200 to $3,600.00 weapon for a trade on a $600.00 (or less depending on make/model/year produced ect...) weapon.

You'd be an ID10T NOT to do the trade!

I do believe the barrels are 10". The barrel extendes into the upper receiver by quite a distance.. It doesn't look to be 10", but they are.. My Form 4 says its a 10" barrel as well.

The barrel ends in the upper receiver just before the ejection port begins. It's just recessed into the frame so it looks shorter than it really is.