The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 29, 2011, 09:16 PM   #1
FrankenMauser

Lee Ergo Prime?

On the cover of the 2012 Lee catalog, you'll see the new "Ergo Prime" featured.
Does anyone have any more information on this, besides what's in the catalog?
Release date?
Reviews?
Lee's claimed "features"? (up to, and including the features that will now be eluded to as 'stolen' by other manufacturers, even though theirs were on the market long before Lee's product).

It looks like Lee finally pulled their heads out, and realized that Hornady and RCBS had the right idea, all along.

Edit: I found a full catalog download (pdf): http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/2012.pdf

MSRP: $40
Description:
Quote:
Premium hand held priming tool with all the features of the world’s most
popular Auto-Prime, with a new ERGOnomic design. The Ergo Prime’s highly
sculpted body fits your hand perfectly, along with a long smoothly contoured
finger lever that easily installs the tightest primers.
Fingertip operation provides unmatched sensitivity and comfort,
especially for older hands. Change primer size in an instant—
no tools or disassembly required, simply remove shell holder
and swap primer trays. Powder coated metal body and polished
chrome plated lever makes the Ergo-Prime not only the most
comfortable, but also the best looking tool made.
Old November 29, 2011, 10:41 PM   #2
hk33ka1

I haven't seen an Ergo prime in person yet, and probably won't pick it up since I already have the old Lee and and RCBS, plus I have been priming on the press lately (Lee lever prime).

I am looking forward to their new in the press trimmer die, bullet puller die, and the factory crimp die/seater for rifle. These didn't make the 2012 catalogue but will hopefully be out soon.

Richard Lee's invention factory
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzNTuQuebvs
Old November 30, 2011, 09:50 AM   #3
PA-Joe

Actually, LEE was the first to have a hand primer. Mine is about 25 years old and still working.
Old November 30, 2011, 09:21 PM   #4
dickttx

About 1968, when I got tired of popping primers with the Lee Loader and a plastic mallet, I bought a Lee hand primer seater. Still have it and the .357 and .45 Colt screw on shellholders.
Old November 30, 2011, 09:55 PM   #5
Jim243

I have 3 different priming methods, I guess a forth might be in the budget, is midway selling them yet??

Jim
Old December 1, 2011, 01:54 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim243
...is midway selling them yet??
Nope. Neither is Lee.

Their only current offering is the Auto Prime XR.
Anything else floating around out there is old production / old stock.
Old December 2, 2011, 10:45 PM   #7
bbqncigars

I never had a problem with my original Autoprime. The new version with the square tray is not as comfortable for me to use. I now have another NIB original as backup, so I'm set for now. I will look at the new offering, but it would have to be one heck of an improvement for me to switch.
Old December 4, 2011, 08:05 PM   #8
floydster

I have the Lee original Auto Prime for the last 10 years, primed many thousands of rounds, keep it lubed is all you have to do and it will serve you well.
Old December 4, 2011, 09:48 PM   #9
m&p45acp10+1

I am sure it will be great. Though I will not be purchasing one until my AutoPrime XR quits working.
Old December 4, 2011, 11:29 PM   #10
troy_mclure

the small priming tray on my autoprime is wallowed out somehow and keeps flipping primers sideways into the case.

ill prolly but the ergo if lee wont fix this one.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old December 5, 2011, 07:58 AM   #11
dahermit

I will not bother to get one. To much to do about nothing. If they were going to re-design, they should have come up with a method of using standard shell holders. Therefore, they still have the major fault that the originals had. I will continue to use the old model and will not buy the "new and improved".
Old December 5, 2011, 08:27 AM   #12
Don P

I have the older model and the XR and from the photo it looks like they may have changed the handle somewhat for comfort and made it red. Interesting
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 5, 2011, 01:42 PM   #13
Poodleshooter

Quote:
If they were going to re-design, they should have come up with a method of using standard shell holders. Therefore, they still have the major fault that the originals had.
Amen!
I started priming with lee's improved priming tool (pre Auto-prime with no tray,but otherwise identical) when I was about 12 years old, so I've been using them for awhile. They needed to strengthen the toggle to a better grade of cast aluminum, which they finally did a few years ago. Next they should make the thumb lever out of better quality cast aluminum so they don't snap off. Finally,they should redesign the body and lengthen the ram to use regular shellholders. Likely they didn't (and never will) do the latter because of issues using other company's shellholders, which vary in dimension somewhat.
Old December 6, 2011, 10:27 AM   #14
dahermit

Quote:
I started priming with lee's improved priming tool (pre Auto-prime with no tray,but otherwise identical) when I was about 12 years old, so I've been using them for awhile. They needed to strengthen the toggle to a better grade of cast aluminum, which they finally did a few years ago. Next they should make the thumb lever out of better quality cast aluminum so they don't snap off. Finally,they should redesign the body and lengthen the ram to use regular shellholders. Likely they didn't (and never will) do the latter because of issues using other company's shellholders, which vary in dimension somewhat.
And, we wore out several of those toggles on those one-at-a-time little primer seaters, didn't we? We just bought new ones. When the tray for multiple primers was added (and I think I remember the shell holders that screwed-on were changed to slip-in), we were thrilled. Ah...so much has changed.
Old December 6, 2011, 04:32 PM   #15
Romeo 33 Delta

I used the original Autoprime for years and switched to the XR when they came out. For me, a more than satisfactory move. I will not be moving to the "ergo" style as I am most comfortable using my thumb to apply pressure (using thumb-over-thumb when rarely necessary). Also, I have nerve damage which has drastically reduced the amount of force I can apply with my fingers when closing my hand and that seems to be the key operating feature of the new design.
Old March 24, 2012, 10:38 AM   #16
ZombieSurvivalShow

I just got ahold of the new Ergo prime and posted an unboxing / first impressions video. Check it out at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ2H-UqccZk
Old March 24, 2012, 11:05 AM   #17
Vance

I got mine from Titan Reloading. It works fine after a couple of glitches from learning how to use it.
Old March 24, 2012, 11:12 AM   #18
Bigdog57

I currently have two of the original design, one is twenty years old and still going strong.
I use one for small and one for large, therefore only changing shell holders to swap calibers.

I tried the RCBS tool, but it is in pieces in the junk box. I didn't like having to totally dismantle to change shell holders.

If one of my old Lee tools breaks, I might try the new ErgoPrime. But at it's higher price, it's not a priority for me.
Old March 24, 2012, 01:57 PM   #19
Kawabuggy

I am personally fond of the RCBS hand held primer as seen here:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/329...d-priming-tool

I've tried other primers but this one seems to fit my hand the best, and is easy to operate. Not the fastest/easiest to change out shell holders on, but runs smoothly once you have it together.

Don't know that I'll be trying the Lee product any time soon. Handled the XR at my reloading store and was not impressed.
Old March 24, 2012, 02:27 PM   #20
mehavey

Quote:
am personally fond of the RCBS hand held primer as seen here:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/329...d-priming-tool

I've tried other primers but this one seems to fit my hand the best, and is easy to operate. Not the fastest/easiest to change out shell holders on
The new(er) RCBS hand primer has a universal shell-holder design that I've found works well -- no more
need to change out shellholders for different cases. Nifty in that regard

(I still have three other Lee AutoPrimes, though. The RCBS was bought to prime Lapua brass for the Grendel.)
Old March 24, 2012, 03:15 PM   #21
lee n. field

Quote:
On the cover of the 2012 Lee catalog [leeprecision.com] , you'll see the new "Ergo Prime" featured.
Does anyone have any more information on this, besides what's in the catalog?
Release date?
Reviews?
Lee's claimed "features"? (up to, and including the features that will now be eluded to as 'stolen' by other manufacturers, even though theirs were on the market long before Lee's product).

It looks like Lee finally pulled their heads out, and realized that Hornady and RCBS had the right idea, all along.

Edit: I found a full catalog download (pdf): http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/2012.pdf

MSRP: $40
I just picked up a Lee Ergo Prime. The tool, plus the shell holder set came to $42.

I got one because I decided I was not going to handload .38 Special on my Pro 1000 anymore (too difficult to visually check the powder charge), and wanted a priming method faster than a ram prime die. The XR autoprime was not getting good reviews, and I wasn't sure RCBS' tool would work with my Lyman shellholders.

It seems to be a reasonably sturdy piece of equipment. The one exception is the Lee's way of isolating primers. The second primer in the train is raised into position by a secondary ram. It rises in a plastic tower molded in the tray top. That plastic tower looks fragile. I can picture it breaking easily.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 24, 2012, 06:04 PM   #22
FrankenMauser

Quote:
The one exception is the Lee's way of isolating primers. The second primer in the train is raised into position by a secondary ram. It rises in a plastic tower molded in the tray top. That plastic tower looks fragile. I can picture it breaking easily.
Thank you for that. It's the little details like that, that are really helpful.
Old March 24, 2012, 06:12 PM   #23
Kawabuggy

Mehavey, you have me on-line ordering that new RCBS no-shell-holder-primer right now from Midway. My wife says "thanks!". Ha ha ha.
Old March 25, 2012, 06:16 PM   #24
lee n. field

Quote:
Quote:
The one exception is the Lee's way of isolating primers. The second primer in the train is raised into position by a secondary ram. It rises in a plastic tower molded in the tray top. That plastic tower looks fragile. I can picture it breaking easily.
Thank you for that. It's the little details like that, that are really helpful.
It may not matter that much. The instructions picture a the tray cover without the little plastic tower. If held normally (angled down) it probably won't be a problem.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "