The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 30, 2009, 01:06 PM   #1
flippycat

A Scared wife, the world is ending.. OH MY

Hi all new here, my name is Rob and I have been a responsible gun owner the majority of my life.

I will get to the title in a second or two

I think these new barter sites popping up are an excellent resource for us, though the downside is 85% of the prices listed for some of the guns posted are insane. You can walk into ANY gun shop and buy the same thing at the same price and in the mean time build up a customer / owner relationship and without any of the risk involved meeting a complete stranger. We should be helping each other out rather then the opposite.

So to the title...so my experience and interest in guns has always been avid. I live in Ohio though I was raised in upstate NY where you can still pull into the parking lot of any store and see a full gun rack in the back of someones pick up truck window. My wife witnessed this for the first time a few months ago on her first visit there with me. She of course had a lot of WHY questions lol.

My wife was raised in a home with 0 guns, basically she learned that guns were bad, a taboo of society and that only bad people had them.

I have been with her for 5 years now, always had my 12ga but it sat in a case in the closet and was like that old shirt some of us got when we were 20 and still managed to hang onto for some reason even though we will never wear it....so with never any need to use it, it was never really talked about and taken out once every other month for a lube job while the wife was out shopping.anywho....

The last year my wife has been really paying attention to some of the propaganda tactics in the news... riots, total bans, micro chips, epidemics ... and the big CLINCHER was when IKE came through here and we saw first hand how unprepared people around us were. If power outages here lasted a day longer I really think there would of been some news making events of looting starting. We had heard random reports on people stealing gas from cars and lines at what few stores were open on a cash and carry only basis streching around the corners. People buying anything that was left on shelves even if they did not need it.

Well low and behold ...we both found a new bonding topic you could say to talk about. What would we do "if" type convos when the unprepared around us go insane lol.

Well after a wife induced short convo about maybe getting another gun I recently purchased another 12ga though was also still in the market for something a little less mule kicking for my wife to practice with and break her gun fearing cherry. Nothing says A-hole like handing a first time shooter a 12 that will take an arm out of socket. Which anyone who searches "girl shoots gun for first time" on youtube will see what kind of a-holes there are out there.

So I opted for another long arm 22, 410, 16ga or 20ga basically what I learned to shoot with when I was 10. Though I also entertained the possibility of just going with a small caliber pistol for the right price.

Well I visited the local gun shops with my wife, saw a few nice ones I wanted..but nothing anywhere near reasonable in price for my wife or really myself for that matter which is why we walked away empty handed.

Well that same night we were at wal mart in the hunting isle checking out some gun cases that were on sale. There was a guy at the ammo case talking with the clerk about how he has been all over to find a box of 38's, "EVERYONE is SOLD OUT" blah blah blah ...I am thinking hrmm I was just at Bass PRO a day ago and they had a mountain of them which I imagine they still do.( BTW the line at the gun counter was about 15 people deep with people who were surely first time buyers, when you are experienced around firearms you can tell quickly.)

My wife looks at me and says .."you think he is serious? like does he know something?" I really did chuckle and said no, I really think this guy was putting on a show for the clerk.... the whole "OMG... OMG" routine like when ike came through Ohio.

Over the course of the next few days we would browse youtube, some random news sites ..and the topic of gun banning, word from militia groups to get ready, arms sales up 500% you name it...guns is just that very hot topic right now.

So the last few weeks, I have been on the hunt with my wife hoping to find something via private sale before the propaganda really drives prices through the roof even more. Well one night I say to my wife, hey ..lets watch some more vids on youtube..lets watch some different guns being shot..it will at least get you familiar to seeing their action cycles, getting to know other models we did not look at together and also seeing them in action and how they are handled by the average youtube posting public.

Well like I said, I have been with my wife for 5 years, the look she had on her face was a look of shock ..... one I have never seen before lol..after about 30 minutes and about 40 vids later..she just sorta of blurts out.."[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] is wrong with these people, are they serious???? I have never shot a gun in my life and they were just careless and whooping it up like a bunch of whackos.

Mind you, I did not show her videos that night of responsible gun OWNERS as it was more about the guns in general. I opted for and showed her the first time yuppie shooters, the 15 year old bad asses in their back yards, the 90 pound girlfriends of morons shooting a gun way to big for their first time with no instruction and the ladys shooting .50 cal pistols and taking kickback to the face.

This honey, this is what you are up against if the world around us goes to hell or some other crisis that is projected to happen, happens.

These are the people who will go into panic mode and shoot neighbors over toilet paper, in lines at the gas station or that are hungry after 1 day because the microwave does not work and realized they really do not have any food for emergency use. We then watched an hour of vids with responsible gun owners who most likely are prepared for any event. And if **** ever did hit the fan would mostly likely band together with the like minded and would be protecting neighborhoods and businesses or at the very least hunkered in with family protecting their own waiting to see the outcome when the chaos was done.

She did have a better look about her for sure after that. lol..she did get to see the cycling of different brands and models, got to see some really awesome groupings from some rather good shots from standing positions and bench shots. She got to see how a responsible owner holds and operates one through the whole loading and firing process. She also got to see what impact different calibers had on different targets. By no means does that replace any formal training or training from a responsible teacher, but I did want her to see what I was already showing her without actually discharging, was accurate and practiced by the majority.

Hopefully with the growth of some of the newer barter sites we will find the reasonable deal we are looking for, or worst case scenario we wind up paying post election scare prices.

Either way, my wife and I have a whole new avenue to pursue together that I did not think possible and I would like to thank the responsible gun owners out there for being just that. So someone once trained they were a taboo could see the light in now owning one.

And those local to Hamilton, OH feel free to drop me a line if you have something maybe geared to what I was looking for at a decent price. RobHamilton OH
Old January 30, 2009, 01:18 PM   #2
goodspeed(TPF)

Holy bejeebers Rob, quite a first post. I read that whole darned thing. Sounds like you and your wife have quite an adventure before you. Good luck on your quest. -Goodspeed

P.S. "I think these new barter sites popping up are an excellent resource for us, though the

downside is 85% of the prices listed for some of the guns posted are insane.

You can walk into ANY gun shop and buy the same thing at the same price and in the

mean time build up a customer / owner relationship and without any of the risk

involved meeting a complete stranger. We should be helping each other out rather

then the opposite. "
I couldn't agree more. :barf:

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old January 30, 2009, 01:37 PM   #3
oldkim

Long post................................

Wow! Dude. That post should count as 10 posts. Man oh man.

Good luck to you and your wife.

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org
Old January 30, 2009, 02:11 PM   #4
flippycat

lol, once i started writing ..it all seemed to flow really good onto the screen ..I left out a lot of side bar though for sure that was prolly good for a laugh or two . My second 12 was a CL purchase, I just happened to catch the add at the right minute before it was flagged ..lol she waited in the car while it was running "just in case" while I went to complete my purchase. Though all went well. Nice guy and good price, $225 for a near mint mossy 500,2 barrels and soft case. I spent $75 online the same night for the tactical- "practical" upgrades I wanted ...so for $300 I got exactly what was looking for.

I just did get done reading some here about the wal mart out of ammo dealio though. I think that was explained by someone here pretty good though, the case is just not scheduled to be restocked. Every 30 days if I am not mistaken when the vendor comes to replenish them. At least that is how it works with most of their other goods also. I waited on printer ink cartridges for 3 weeks once not to long ago.

I think a lot of it is just hype and some mild hoarding going on and no one used to seeing the case being used regularly besides hunting season . I know as far as any shotgun shell goes I could of filled a cart at wal mart...though I buy all mine at Bass Pro...much better deals and better variety. lol and that is the second time I mentioned them ..but they are just local for me.

It is like going to the store the day before a storm is expected and the news uses its scare tactics to keep you tuned in. You get to the store and see all the toilet paper and water gone ...lol like WTH..are people going on a deuce-ing spree here or something...stop drinking all the water, you may not need to wipe as much lmao.

I love the site though I am glad I found it!
Old January 30, 2009, 02:37 PM   #5
FyredUp

My girlfriend and I have the same philosophy of preparedness. There is always at least 2 months worth of food on hand and more than likely more than that if you include canned goods and frozen food. Yes, I know the freezer is vulnerable and a generator is on the horizon for that issue. There is always 3 or 4 cases of bottled water on hand. Easily rotated since we drink a lot of water between myself her and our 4 kids.

Guns...Now that is a different story. She is a gun person and the first Christmas present I ever bought her was a Beretta Neos pistol. She picked it out, researched it and that was her choice. (Great pistol by the way fun to shoot and she is deadly accurate with it.) She has shot my 1911 and my 10/22. She wants to learn my AK clone and my P89. She has picked out a 20 gauge shotgun and we will be adding that to the collection soon too.

She wants us to be more self sufficient. Meaning a bigger garden, chickens, and perhaps a cow or 2. She even says we should stock our pond so we would have our own fish supply!! We have 14 acres so there is plenty of room for this stuff. I like this idea of our own heat from our wood, our own food supply and the ability if need be to defend it all if worse comes to worse.

She is a believer in the 12/21/12 prophecies, I am a bit more skeptical. She isn't quite sure what it will mean but she firmly believes an upheavel of some sort will occur and that only those prepared will survive. I don't live in fear of that but I do believe it is prudent in these bizarre times to be prepared to survive on your own for more than a half an hour after the shelves are empty at the Jewel.

Scared isn't so bad if it leads you to the path of preparation.
Old January 30, 2009, 02:47 PM   #6
Bud Helms

Welcome to TFL, flippycat.
Old January 30, 2009, 02:55 PM   #7
kyle1974

I'm going to go take a nap...I'll respond in about an hour.
Old January 30, 2009, 03:02 PM   #8
flippycat

FyredUp, you must be dating my wife's gun loving lost sister lol...I am glad you saw into what I wrote. My girl is down that same path I believe your gf is, I personally have never needed a reason to be prepared though I am supportive that my girl has found a reason at least even if I don't buy into it.
Old January 30, 2009, 03:16 PM   #9
kirkcdl

You should watch the Outdoor Channel,Sportsmans Network,and Pursuit Network(Pursuit is logo'd as HUNT)on Wednesdays and Thursdays.Especially Wed,lots of Non-Hunting gun shows on that part of the week...
Old January 30, 2009, 04:46 PM   #10
cbgixxer

Great Post for sure!

My situation has been really similar. Funny how the crime and terror of the news has helped the more liberal come around in the words or preparation.

She went to a very liberal college, raised with that same fear of guns, they are barbaric, only monsters have guns, etc....

Well I'm happy to report that with some education from me and the CCP class, she is now knowledgeable, experienced and accurate marksman, she prefers my glock 19 to any of my firearms, and I am comfortable knowing she can protect herself or our home if needed.
Old January 30, 2009, 05:09 PM   #11
rikerz

My eyes hurt from all the reading Welcome to the forum and I am in the process also of introducing my wife to the wonderful world of firearms!
Old January 30, 2009, 08:19 PM   #12
SigfanTN

Yeah, I read the whole thing too, and yes it was long. I kept reading, though, because there were several similarities to the journey my wife and I have taken in the past year...right down to Youtube being somewhat of a catalyst for a change of thought on the topic of guns.

She was not taught the taboo thing, but had not really been around guns much. The constant, subversive media portrayal of guns as evil had done a little damage, but I still bought my Sig 239 after an attempted break-in at our first apartment without much protest. Like you we didn't really discuss guns much until one day we were watching Youtube vids together and I showed her a couple that made her ask me "where is the gun, and is it ready?".

After that we went and took our permit class together and did the whole bit so she can carry daily ....and she does! Of course now she thinks I'm a nut about guns because I spend all my time online in gun forums.
Old January 30, 2009, 09:09 PM   #13
shortwave

Welcome Flippy. Enjoy!
Old January 30, 2009, 10:33 PM   #14
B.N.Real

The nice thing to read is that your wife who was lied too all those years actually let the truth in when she saw it for herself.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy being ready just in case.
Old January 31, 2009, 07:50 AM   #15
alloy

decaf, loss of sleep has been proven to cause paranoia.
Old January 31, 2009, 01:16 PM   #16
MosinM38

First, Welcome to the forums (I'm a great one to say that..>I ain't on enough ).

But leastways, I offer my respect to your wife. Even after being raised as Taboo, she actually watched, and looked, and formed her OWN opinion (Rather than the endless stream of people who listen to the news anchors and copy their imitations).
Old January 31, 2009, 01:58 PM   #17
fat old gun nut

OH MY

For a 1st experience watching youtube could just reinforce the negative gun thoughts. You're lucky your wife understood your plan. Now you need to take her to a gun range to shoot your collection. I am a firm believer than the majority of people who shoot for the first time have a positive experience. This would reinforce your home protection plan.
Old January 31, 2009, 02:18 PM   #18
wayneinFL

Quote:
These are the people who will go into panic mode and shoot neighbors over toilet paper, in lines at the gas station or that are hungry after 1 day because the microwave does not work and realized they really do not have any food for emergency use.
After going through several hurricanes here in which pretty large areas have lost gas stations, grocery stores, electricity, water, ice, etc., I'm not sure very many of these people really exist. The overwhelming majority of these people will band together.

There are very few who will not be able to rationally deal with the situation. Besides, most of the types who will freak out don't have guns- they're not responsible enough to think that far ahead.

BTW, welcome to the firing line. And I'm sure you appreciate your wife for what she is. Mine was raised in a gun owning home and still isn't that open-minded.
Old January 31, 2009, 03:30 PM   #19
BillCA

Welcome to TFL, Mr. & Mrs. Flippycat!

It's funny that your wife is a 2012 believer. My ex was sure planes would fall out of the sky on 1/1/2000 due to the whole Y2K thing. That got us into preparedness mode.

I like how your wife was seeing for herself that the world is not a safe, cozy place all the time. One can convince another person but there will usually be some doubt. When people see things one their own there is little doubt.

My ex selected a .243 bolt rifle as her primary rifle and a Remington 870 20-gauge 21" "youth" model for her shotgun. We did put an adult size stock on it later though. Another good alternative is a .38/.357 lever rifle, since the kick of the .357 Magnum is reduced by the rifle's weight.

In terms of long range planning, a pair of handguns might be prudent. There will be times you'd like to be "invisibly" armed which is difficult to do with a long gun.

Again, welcome to TFL, I'm sure you'll both fit right in.
Old January 31, 2009, 04:14 PM   #20
stephen426

Welcome to the TFL flippycat.

You might want to direct your wife to Cornered Cat which is geared toward women (less of the machismo). The website is run by Kathy Jackson (AKA pax) on the TFL where is on staff.

My wife's father carries a gun and my wife grew up "around" them. I got her to go to the range with me a few times, but she is far from an avid shooter. She does keep my Riger GP100 next to her side of the bed after we were broken into about 8 years ago. She was the one who discovered it an it shook her up pretty bad. Thank God the burgler was gone already.

I don't want to sound sexist, but women are more likely to be targeted by criminals since they are weaker and less likely to be armed. They are also much more likely to be targeted for rape (unless your rapist is Michael Jackson or your wife is butt ugly just kidding). I bought my wife a taser and pepper spray since she would be less hesitant to use them. Hesitation with a handgun leads to gun grabs and having the gun used against the owner.

If she is somewhat sheltered, show her the crime statistics. The "it will never happen to me" mentality is VERY dangerous. While no one should live in fear, we need to be sure that we are able to defend ourselves should the need ever arise. An unarmed victim is usually at the complete mercy of the criminal. Most criminals don't even have respect for their own lives, much less yours.

Good luck!
Old January 31, 2009, 06:22 PM   #21
FyredUp

Quote:
alloy

decaf, loss of sleep has been proven to cause paranoia.
Really helpful and insightful post.

If being prepared for any contingency makes me paranoid I wonder what you would have to say to those here that carry in their homes and have multiple guns stashed all over their homes. I don't do that by the way.
Old January 31, 2009, 06:34 PM   #22
alloy

actually it had more to do with this:

Quote:
The last year my wife has been really paying attention to some of the propaganda tactics in the news... riots, total bans, micro chips, epidemics
preparedness is one thing, reacting to scare tactics as if its imminent, is something else. everything looks better in the morning.. choose to take it personal, but it wasnt meant that way so your response is on you.
read the thread title FyredUp.

scared wife, the world is ending, oh my.
Old January 31, 2009, 06:42 PM   #23
FyredUp

alloy...

I apologize if I misconstruedthe meaning of your post. Perhaps a little bit of a short fuse on my part. Lack of sleep, bad day, and a crabby teenager have me a bit on edge.

Last edited by Bud Helms; January 31, 2009 at 10:49 PM. Reason: implied profanity - not necessary
Old January 31, 2009, 06:49 PM   #24
alloy

its all good...i know what you mean, and things are tricky these days. cooler heads prevail, and hopefully the yellowstone caldera doesnt blow any time soon.
Old January 31, 2009, 07:38 PM   #25
flippycat

Thanks for the warm welcome aboard !

Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome aboard

and sure your right alloy I agree with you 100% lol...I will admit, I live on coffee, nicotine and about 4 hours sleep daily :P And to be honest..I would love to keep doing exactly for another 40-50 years with out any change in my routine....lol...I hate change...unless it has to do with my truck and oil.

My title choice was a no no also ..I am the typical noob and did not read the noob guide for posts here, lol I think i was very boarder line and could of worded it much differently ..I guess I was too excited to find a superb collection of people here with such vast insight on all aspects of firearms to share with .

She did confirm to me she is getting her own account here, and we did narrow down what we will be getting even further.

Her stance is now official and here is a direct quote " I don't need something to decimate with, that is what I have you for ..I am just the backup ..I am the girl, you are the guy."

So we opted for a smaller cal pistol and a 22 for long gun practice.

Tags
forsale , gun , obama , scare , wife