The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 9, 2012, 11:36 AM   #1
Trip286

Got a trade in the works, wanting info

Okay, I'm going this weekend to meet a guy and maybe do an even swap. I'm giving up my S&W 65-2 for a 1917 Eddystone Enfield, new barrel, .30-06, timney trigger, 3x9x50 BSA, garage sportered stock (that was actually done pretty nicely).

Here's the deal. I don't know anything about this model rifle. What should I look for?

I'm not worried about the legal questions, I already know my state's laws, I'm not worried about a disparity in value as these guns are around the same value, I just want to know what to look for.

Is it prone to cracking in the receiver? Anything of that nature? It has a new barrel, so I'm not worried about the possibility of it having fired old corrosive ammo, as long as the action's not eaten up with rust.
Old February 9, 2012, 01:58 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Since the rifle has a new barrel, it might be a good idea to remove the stock and check the receiver ring for cracks as well as for rust under the stock. Eddystone screwed the barrels in by machinery and some were so tight that removing the barrel caused the receiver to crack (or an existing stress crack to expand).

Other than that, and the large, heavy action with cock-on-close bolt, the M1917 is an excellent rifle.

Jim
Old February 9, 2012, 02:07 PM   #3
Trip286

Thanks man. The guy is claiming MOA with it. I've got a good deal of trigger time, I'm going to see if I can milk a little better out of it.

Anything special to removing the stock?
Old February 10, 2012, 04:36 PM   #4
Trip286

Made the deal. Thanks James, the guy was more than willing to completely disassemble the rifle and let me go over it with a fine tooth comb.

I'm very happy with it so far, as I have yet to find any range time, and won't get a chance to pick up ammo for it until next week. Will give some more details when I get a chance to actually go out and shoot it.
Old February 14, 2012, 09:12 AM   #5
rko001

I had a 1917 Eddystone, really enjoyed it. Don't know why I parted with it, been looking for a replacement ever since I did. Mine was a mix-master but it shot well. Only problem I had with it was the extractor failed to extract about every third round, that was frustrating. Should have kept it and had the extractor replaced. 20/20 hindsight is my specialty!
Old February 14, 2012, 11:16 AM   #6
F. Guffey

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Smi...cfm?cat_id=108

asking for is one thing,

Winchester M1917 2nd choice, Remington M1917 1st choice, the Eddystone is a ‘anyone's guess’ when it comes to what your getting.

Securing the barrel, all M1917s indexed, a concept wasted on Eddystone.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; February 14, 2012 at 11:23 AM. Reason: add 's