The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 24, 2012, 08:38 PM   #1
viciouskitty

question about carrying in AZ

Not sure if this is the right forum. I'm wondering about AZ's constitutional carry law. I'm going on vacation in AZ this friday and I want to carry my gun concealed if its legal. I looked it up and all I can find is that the law applies to anyone that is 21 years of age or older and is legal to purchase can carry. but it never mentions about being a resident of AZ. Does anyone know?
Old July 24, 2012, 08:53 PM   #2
CowTowner

First place to look is:
www.handgunlaw.us
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old July 24, 2012, 09:17 PM   #3
Creeper

Arizona has a written agreement of reciprocity Texas.

Per Arizona DPS: Concealed Weapons Permits (Issued by other states outside of Arizona)

Arizona recognizes all other states valid permits providing the following conditions are met:

Arizona and any political subdivisions of Arizona shall recognize a concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state if both:

The permit or license is recognized as valid in the issuing state
The permit or license holder is all of the following:
Legally present in this state
Not legally prohibited from possessing a firearm in this state

Cheers,
C
Old July 24, 2012, 11:06 PM   #4
Jim March

The AZ carry laws are NOT specific to AZ residents, unlike the new Wyoming law. The WY ban on concealed carry by out-of-staters is almost certainly unconstitutional as states cannot discriminate against residents of other states - see also Ward v. Maryland 1870 and Saenz v. Roe 1999, both US Supremes.

Back to AZ.

The AZ concealed carry permit (or recognized reciprocity with another state's permit!) gives you three things so far:

1) The ability to carry in a place that serves alky so long as you keep it concealed and don't drink.

2) Faster access buying a gun (a non-issue for you).

3) The AZ permit is recognized by a lot of other states (also not an issue).

So, upshot is, without an AZ permit or a CCW permit from a state AZ recognizes, your main problem is no packing in any place that serves alky. Not just bars - the Chinese Buffet that serves the occasional beer is also a problem for you.

NOTE: there are proposals to put in campus carry for CCW permitholders only. This is likely the only way we'll get campus carry in the near future. This hasn't happened yet.
Old July 25, 2012, 12:16 PM   #5
viciouskitty

Thanks guys, looks like I will be carrying while on vacation in AZ