The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 20, 1999, 08:55 PM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

I've attended seminars at training conferences as well as an instructor school. Even if you haven't received formal training, where would you go to to receive it or even to play with a full auto?
Old April 21, 1999, 10:15 AM   #2
BlkHawk73

I have attended Thunder Ranch (defenive handgun) but if full-auto were to be the topic of instruction Gunsite would be an optio. However, my first choice for would be the training HK offers. LEO only though. To "play"...the upcoming machine gun shoot here in Maine. Three days of class 3.
Old April 22, 1999, 02:35 PM   #3
Mike Spight

Certainly the two BlkHawk73 mentioned...I believe the Blackwater facility in Camden Co NC offers full auto (SMG/assault rifle) tng.
Only other way is not always a practical option...military or LEO.
Old April 23, 1999, 11:00 AM   #4
amalgam

U.S. Air Force !

Old April 24, 1999, 11:00 PM   #5
GLV

The best trainer for full auto, sub gun, is Clint Smith. GLV
Old May 2, 1999, 01:35 AM   #6
SKN

Though they are product specific, I would second H&K's courses: Basic Operator, TacSMG, Instructor, and Master Instructor.

Tactics International, ILETC and HALO Group (all of which are SoCal based training consortiums composed of active duty and retired SWAT operators) also offer excellent non-specific SMG classes.
Old May 3, 1999, 01:36 AM   #7
Gunslinger

I was going to give the smart a** answer of joining the service for a couple of years but Mike and Amalgam beat me to it. Seriously have you thought about the simple approach and going to your local class III dealer and asking if they know anyone? I like most "gun nuts" always enjoy showing off my toys. If you offered to supply/buy the ammo surely someone in your area would be willing to let you play with theirs. Maybe you've got something they'd like to shoot. I've got a friend that drives me nuts bringing his full autos to my house to shoot because I have my own range. Some times you can get too much of a good thing.

Gunslinger
Old May 3, 1999, 04:51 AM   #8
David Schmidbauer
Retired Screen Name

Mike, Amalgam & Gunslinger

I will withhold commend on going to DOD for firearms training as that subject tends to increase my blood pressure. Surfice to say, IMO....

Ha!

That is unless you get into the SpecOp field (very selective).

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Old May 4, 1999, 02:51 PM   #9
Mike Spight

Gunny: That's (SOF) EXACTLY what I was referring to!
Old July 27, 1999, 08:14 PM   #10
jcoleman

Training!? I didn't know there was any available . . .

What worked best for me -- in fact it's the only education I've received-- was renting and watching all three Rambo movies . . . the realism is outstanding!

OK, bad joke.
Old July 27, 1999, 10:16 PM   #11
Ewok

www.frontsight.com

I went in January for a one day intro class SMG using the Cobray M11. There's a one day M16 class coming up soon, but I think you need to have already attended another class to be invited.

When they get their Nevada site operational, there'll be regular SMG classes. They will also be offering the "Four Weapons Combat Master ®" course.
Old July 28, 1999, 08:35 AM   #12
ctdonath

LFI courses 3 and 4.
(Requires courses 1 and 2 at 40 hours each.)
3 introduces machineguns, and 4 requires passage of DEA machinegun certification test.
Old July 29, 1999, 05:55 PM   #13
mguntony

I see that this is an older post, but I will reply anyway. There are a number of places to shoot full auto around the country. The machine gun shoot at the Knob Creek Range in Kentucky is the biggest in the US. I run classes on subgun competition there,(on thursday this October 7). There are about 100 rental guns there that anyone with the money can shoot. I run several shoots myself here in North Alabama and there is always someone who will rent a firearm to an interested shooter.