The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 19, 2013, 11:20 PM   #1
Da Dark Jedi

Need a secure travel case

Hello good people. I'm looking for a portable secure case to transport my weapons to and from the gun range. I live in Chicago so this is a must have. Any suggestions (steel or plastic)??
Old December 19, 2013, 11:34 PM   #2
Chaz88

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/171190832617?lpid=82

I have had great results with this type of case. They are tough, lockable, waterproof, and you can pull the foam out in small squares to make pockets in the shape you want to hold things. They tend to be expensive at sporting goods stores but Wall Mart and other places have had good prices lately.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old December 19, 2013, 11:43 PM   #3
Dragline45

I use this

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/898...-polymer-black

It holds both my rifle, shotgun, a couple handguns, and mags, of course if you only stick one rifle in it you can fit more handguns. Not the best in the world, but it suits my needs for to and from the range. The foam isn't super thick, so the gun's do move around unless you add something under the foam like cardboard which I did.
Old December 19, 2013, 11:55 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

It depends a bit on how much security you need, and whether for long guns or handguns. For ordinary use, one of the plastic cases should do, and they all have a means of locking either with a built in lock or a padlock. Cost for a handgun case will run around $10.

But if you want more security for handguns, there are aluminum and steel briefcases, some pretty heavy, but OK for auto travel. I think S&W sells one under their name that is really a briefcase size safe, with a key lock built in. That kind of stuff is not cheap, but some can be chained or welded to a car body and no one is going to cut them open with a box cutter. Do a Google search on "steel briefcase" or "aluminum briefcase" and see what turns up.

Jim
Old December 20, 2013, 12:08 AM   #5
Da Dark Jedi

Thanks for the links, they are great for my Mossberg 500 shotgun with 20" barrel. But I'm looking for something to carry hand guns (I need practice). I should list the hand guns.

1) Desert Eagle .44 Magnum
2) Glock 21c .45 Cal (wifes)
3) Colt Defender .45 Cal (3" barrel)

Something for them.

Since I live in urban Chicago, I have to stay on the lookout for bad people. They get you coming and going.
Old December 20, 2013, 12:18 AM   #6
Chaz88

The type I posted comes in all sizes. They are tougher than some of my metal cases. Thick hard plastic, would take some work to break into. Has a rubber gasket seal and relief valve encase an air pressure change locks it shut. Would also be great for air travel.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old December 20, 2013, 12:20 AM   #7
ClydeFrog

Seahorse, Haliburton, Pelican....

There are a few high end gun cases & accessories available to the serious gun owner or license holder.
Id look into the cases & travel bags of Seahorse, Plano, Pelican, Haliburton etc.

www.policehq.com www.galls.com www.qmuniforms.com www.natchezss.com www.nra.org www.midwayusa.com www.grafs.com
Old December 20, 2013, 06:33 AM   #8
Brotherbadger

Are you talking rifles or handguns?

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old January 1, 2014, 12:14 PM   #9
hardhar55

Pistol Case

Pelican P1075.... lockable, shockproof, waterproof, etc. Google it.
Slim and sexy with shoulder strap. Lifetime warranty. Internet price range $45-$55. Check out the larger size 1085 and/or 1095 for 2 handgun capacity.