The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 15, 2010, 08:22 AM   #1
azizjr

Breaching tactics

Why do SWAT members put their hand on the back of the officer in front of them when breaching or when they are getting ready to breach. And if someone can give me the commands said during the breach.
Old October 15, 2010, 08:39 AM   #2
demigod

The hand on the back is to keep the stack together and offer a means of non verbal communication. You can push or pull on the guy in front of you, etc.
Old October 15, 2010, 08:43 AM   #3
thesheepdog

MOUT baby!!!!

That was a fun class. I call it "tap back, tap forward". Once the guy in front gets tapped by the guy behind him, they're ready for entry.
As my Ranger buddy taught me, "5 barrels in 3 seconds"
Old October 15, 2010, 11:42 AM   #4
Silvanus

What sheepdog said, the last person taps the one in front of him to signalize he's ready. Repeat this till the first guy gets a tap, now you're ready to move. It's also a good way to stay together and keep the guy in front of you informed that you're still there
Old October 15, 2010, 11:46 AM   #5
thesheepdog

Quote:
keep the guy in front of you informed that you're still there
And it prevents everyone on the team from making verbal confirmations which give away your position.
Old October 15, 2010, 06:48 PM   #6
raimius

There are several techniques for signalling in the stack. The "tap back, tap forward" is pretty straightforward and simple.
Some groups train with the #2 guy initiating the breach by squeezing and letting go of the #1 guy's shoulder, as well.

Really, there are several ways of doing it. It just needs to be standardized within the stack and not be prone to accidental "go" signals...
Old October 15, 2010, 06:57 PM   #7
leadcounsel

You learn non-verbal coms in the military is pretty standard. Sometimes you cannot talk
1) for tactical reasons - you don't want to be heard (eg if the people inside the house could hear your, they'd shoot you all through the wall)
2) for visual reasons - much work is done under the cover of dark
3) for logisical reasons - you cannot hear because it's too loud and/or the person is behind you (say, in preps to parachute from the airplane, you tap the guy ahead of you to tell him your ready)
4) for psychological reasons - easier to go in the door or jump from a plane when you know your buddies are immediately behind you

On the stack they also have their feet touching and/or legs intertwined to reduce space and for body contact so you can keep your eyes up, not looking for your buddy.
Old October 25, 2010, 05:30 AM   #8
azizjr

Thank you guys )
Old October 25, 2010, 06:55 AM   #9
Deputy Dog

I am curious to why you want to know and why you want to know what the command is for "GO". I have seen alot of want-a-be's trying to act like they know what they are doing on the range, if you have not been properly trained for this exercise, for your safety and the safety of others, please dont attempt to execute it! Little friendly advice that's all.

DD
Old October 25, 2010, 04:12 PM   #10
Glenn Dee

What Deputy Dog said.

There used to be differences between the way the police did it from the way the military does it. I guess it's all the same now.
Old October 25, 2010, 04:37 PM   #11
Edward429451

Because hard days may be coming and it would always be a benefit for civilians or anyone to be able to com quietly? This may not be a wanna be thing because some of you folks have different types of missions than us mere civvies, but that doesn't mean that we could not benefit from learning hand signals and such. Where some of you use these skills to assault offensively, a family or brick of civilians needing to move quietly (but not engage anyone!) would do well to have these nonverbals worked out beforhand.
Old October 25, 2010, 04:55 PM   #12
TeamSinglestack

Quote:
There used to be differences between the way the police did it from the way the military does it. I guess it's all the same now.
Depends on the mission and the organization. We have far more leeway in the military.

Never send good men to do what high explosives can do better...