The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 23, 2005, 02:31 PM   #1
Bic

unknown 30.06

Hello all
I am knew to this forum and have been doing a little surfing on it for about a week, and I'm impressed, great site. I have a question and hopefully someone can help. I inheirited this rifle about 15 years ago from my grandfather. He had cut down the stock to fit him, approx. 3" I since put a new stock on it, just so I don't confuse anyone with the pictures. The rifle is incredibily accurate and I have no hesitation on taking still head shots, or neck shots under 100yds.on whitetails. I can find no name on it other than the markings that are in pictures. Can anyone help identify this rifle.
thanks ahead
Bic
[IMG]30.06 rifle[/IMG] 30.06
Old January 23, 2005, 05:39 PM   #2
armedandsafe

That action looks very much as I remember Mother's Enfield, which she purchased in '51. I can't verify my memory, as the rifle is 300 miles from here and it has been many years since I shot it.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old January 23, 2005, 05:48 PM   #3
Jim Watson

It is a 1917 US Enfield that was sent to England on WW II Lend-Lease. The row of crown proof marks and the 300 show British use, they proof test EVERYTHING that comes in and the .300 is to mark the difference between a .30-06 1917 Enfield and a .303 1914 Enfield.

The original rear sight and its protective "ears" have been removed to mount the scope.

The maker's mark - Winchester, Remington, or Eddystone - will be under the front scope base. No sense taking it off to see, the gun has no collector's value as altered, just Grandpa's hunting rifle. A good shooter and a family heirloom.
Old January 23, 2005, 06:12 PM   #4
Bic

Great
I had a pretty good feeling someone here would be able to help. I wasn't really concerned about the collector end of things just curious as to origin.
Many thanks fellas for taking the time to reply.
Bic