The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 23, 2015, 11:51 PM   #1
lamarw

Dillon's Super Swage 600

I finally bit the crimped primer and ordered one of these super swage do-dads. I did a lot of research prior to placing the order. It seems half the reloaders swear by it and the other half swear at it.

I had tried a lot of other methods to swage a ton of military crimped primer brass in 5.56. Several methods worked but are time consuming, hard on the hands, and just a pain all the way around. If it was not your hands hurting then it was your head hurting from the drills, drimels and other tools devised by man to recover brass from chrimped primer brass.

I simply needed some relief and hope the Dillow Swager performs as advertised and as well as some others maintain. In a few days I will either like it or become of those who swears at it.
Old February 24, 2015, 12:19 AM   #2
Gadawg88

I have never had a reason to swear at mine. It is very basic and easy to adjust. It really, literally couldn't be any simpler. Works great.
Old February 24, 2015, 06:18 AM   #3
cryogenic419

Once you've got it adjusted properly it works like a dream. Its not really all that tricky to adjust it and if you're using it just for .223 you can pretty much set it and forget it.
Old February 24, 2015, 08:42 AM   #4
kerreckt

I have been using mine for about 6 years. Works great. I did some "automation" modifications to mine. There are many youtube videos about things you can do.
Old February 24, 2015, 08:50 AM   #5
lamarw

Thanks, It is good to see "three swear by its" in a row.
Old February 24, 2015, 09:01 AM   #6
jmorris

I have tried a bunch of them as well. The SS taes more effort than the RCBS swage dies (at least with the press I used them in). Both get old after a few hundred but are easier on the hands that the reamers used manually.

For swaging and loading bucket fulls, the 1050 is unmatched.

Old February 24, 2015, 09:42 AM   #7
Whisper 300

#4 swears by
used many different kinds and brands but when there buckets of crimped brass to do the Dillon wins hands down.

Gary
Old February 24, 2015, 10:52 AM   #8
Vance

I just received mine yesterday. Hope it works out as expected.
Old February 24, 2015, 11:44 AM   #9
wogpotter

#5 swears by the 600.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old February 24, 2015, 02:07 PM   #10
schmellba99

Quote:
I have never had a reason to swear at mine. It is very basic and easy to adjust. It really, literally couldn't be any simpler. Works great.
This pretty much sums it up perfectly.

I've not tried any of the dies, but I don't like the idea of that much force on my progressive (I have no doubt it will handle it, but it is unecessary and just not something I want to put on my press in my opinion) and I cannot see how a single stage would be any faster than the 600.

I've used it for a metric crap ton of .223 and a whole lot of .30-06 as well. Works like a charm, and I doubt seriously I'll ever have to get a replacement part. I have a little plastic tackle box that I keep all of the parts in, and changing calibers is pretty simple.
Old February 24, 2015, 02:57 PM   #11
jmorris

The dies are not any faster than the SS, just less effort to swage.

The 1050 requires the least force of any method I have tried and also the fastest as swaging is not an extra step but just part of the loading process.

Certainly not for everyone or even most people but it runs circles around the other methods.

Old February 24, 2015, 06:15 PM   #12
Mike / Tx

The set up is the important thing here. Take your time and set it up right and your on your way.

I picked one up second hand. The oldest grandson and I set it up when they were down for summer vacation last year and he ran through around 1500 cases before he got bored. Broke my heart....

I have the RCBS as well and set up on it is the key thing too as it is with most any of them. Once there though you just slide them in and pull the handle.

Quote:
Certainly not for everyone or even most people but it runs circles around the other methods.
Shoot half of your stuff you show us pics of falls into that category, but I would sure like to come over for a play day to try some of it out...

I gotta admit you do some quality work on your projects, don't think I have ever seen anything you put up that looked like it shouldn't sell for WAY more than you probably have in it.
Old February 24, 2015, 06:34 PM   #13
oley55

super swage auto eject

once you get yours and get used to it, there are a couple DYI upgrades out there. For me the auto eject seemed the best route. Although mine is slightly different, here is a link to one on youtube. You can really crank'em out with this upgrade. IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C34sRku4ASY

here's a link to an auto down for lack of a better description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C34sRku4ASY

edited to add this: as others have said, getting it adjusted right is the key, although not difficult or complicated. early on I was doing some mil 38 spl brass and screwed up a bunch of brass by setting the swage too deep. when I went to seat primers, I couldn't even feel them seating. Gave me the willies, so I tossed the lot. Didn't even give them a try to see if they would still hold a primer.

Last edited by oley55; February 24, 2015 at 07:21 PM. Reason: added link for another auto option and over swage note
Old February 24, 2015, 06:44 PM   #14
Machineguntony

I have this thing. I bought it and never used it. It is brand new. Save yourself the money and just buy a Dillon 1050. It swages as it reloads. I hear about guys who hate reloading. Don't make yourself hate reloading...just do it all in one step by getting a press, any press, that swages as it reloads.

On a side note, if anyone lives in central Texas and is willing to meet in Austin, I will sell you the Dillon swager that I have for 75% of the price on Dillons website. Just PM me. Its never been used. I only bought it because I was curious. I'm not shipping it. Too much of a hassle.
Old February 24, 2015, 07:14 PM   #15
sevt_chevelle

Have one love it. Did the auto-eject mod. I got mine set up to swag heavier crimps, but for cases with light crimps it's a "feel". Every piece of range brass or brass I buy goes through the 600. I find its faster to swag everything then it is to separate. Plus with swagged brass primers kind to seat easier.
Old February 25, 2015, 11:41 AM   #16
schmellba99

Yeah....because "just getting a 1050" is close ot the same as a relatively cheap swaging tool that doesn't require a fairly hefty investment in a new press and all the bells and whistles that come with said press.

Come on man, they aren't even in the same world.
Old February 25, 2015, 12:01 PM   #17
Gadawg88

Machineguntony-
Quote:
Save yourself the money and just buy a Dillon 1050.
You forgot the sarcastic smiley face after that comment. Oh, we're you serious?
Old February 25, 2015, 06:58 PM   #18
jmorris

Quote:
I had tried a lot of other methods to swage a ton of military crimped primer brass in 5.56. Several methods worked but are time consuming, hard on the hands, and just a pain all the way around.
A ton is a lot of brass (147,000 .223 cases), look at the weights on these skids.

Swaging that many is a lot of work even on a 1050 but much less than other manual methods.

This is a video of how fast you can not only swage but load as well on a 1050.
http://vid121.photobucket.com/albums...metal/1050.mp4

Last edited by jmorris; February 25, 2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old February 27, 2015, 12:52 PM   #19
kostner

Used many different kinds and brands but when there buckets of crimped brass to do the Dillon wins hands down. Best $99 I've spent in a few years.
Old February 27, 2015, 05:25 PM   #20
Greg Mercurio

Swaging by definition is metal displacement. The Dillon unit uses an anvil to oppose the swaging forces, which are considerable. A swaging tool that uses the rim to oppose these forces is applying a LOT of force to the rim, forces it was never really intended to see. Yes they work. But for my money, the Dillon is at the top of the heap, everything else is after. Having swaged in excess of 7K cases with mine, I guess you could say I'd swear by it.

As an aside, I mounted the unit at 45 degrees to the bench edge and use a towel as a backstop to flip the swaged cases into off the anvil. The right hand actuates the swaging lever, the left the load/flip. Very high production rates can be maintained once past the learning curve.
Old February 27, 2015, 09:27 PM   #21
Lman57

I like mine it works great.
Old March 1, 2015, 11:27 PM   #22
lamarw

It arrived late yesterday. I got it bolted to the bench and attempted to comprehend the instructions. The instructions are far from user friendly. I eventually figured it out and got it tweaked and up and running so to speak.

I ran around three hundred pieces of brass through it this evening. It is the Cat's Meow. I am pleased I bought it and now "swear by it".

Thanks everyone for their input.
Old March 2, 2015, 06:47 AM   #23
droptrd

I love mine. Once you get a rhythm going you can really knock out the brass. I just use mine for 556. I bought a centering insert for it from inline fabrication. It prevents miss alignment and mashing of the head. must have if you load thousands of thousands of 223 like I do.

http://inlinefabrication.com/product...n-superswage-1
Old March 2, 2015, 10:33 AM   #24
schmellba99

Thanks for the link to the centering inserts from Inline. Just put an order in - I have gotten in a hurry before and damaged a few pieces of brass here and there, these look like just the ticket to minimize that.
Old March 2, 2015, 12:10 PM   #25
Unclenick
Staff

Ditto the above. I was unaware of those and dropped an order on them, too. Should save the odd case. Thanks for putting it up!
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle