The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 24, 2005, 09:48 AM   #1
gary6.5

Sizing .380 Brass

Hello, I'm new to pistol reloading. I'm in process of resizing some.380 brass and die is going down on the case 3/8" and punching primer. The brass looks like their is a very small bulge where the die stopped (shiny vs. dull finish). Is this an optical illusion, or do I need to adjust my die to go down another 1/8" .Thanks for any replys.
Old December 24, 2005, 10:03 AM   #2
deadin

As long as the die and shell holder are meeting at the end of the stroke you are OK. (I adjust mine so there is a slight "bump" at the end of the stroke.) What is happening is the die is resizing the part of the case that stretches when fired. It doesn't resize the head of the case. The part of the case that is resized will pick up a little "polish" and the head won't.
(If the head of the case starts needing resizing, you had better back off on your load. )

Dean
Old December 24, 2005, 10:20 AM   #3
gary6.5

Thanks Dean, I went over and resized one and they are meeting and handle is all the way down. I just wanted to be sure. I've reloaded rifle but never pistol, and its been a while on the rifle reloading. I was taught no room for error when it comes to reloading, so I thought I'd ask. Gary
Old December 24, 2005, 03:24 PM   #4
Dave R

Its an optical illusion. Where the parallel lines stop, it appears there's a slight bulge. Normal.

That's one way you can tell reloaded brass. It has those lines from the die on it.
Old December 24, 2005, 06:31 PM   #5
gary6.5

Thanks, Dave R, Appericate your time and comment.