The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 12, 2014, 11:26 PM   #51
Tactical Jackalope

M&P 22.
Old July 14, 2014, 12:25 AM   #52
skizzums

that super colibre ammo is terrible for me, at 25 yards or more its all over the place, it is a very cool idea though, love how quiet it is. but usually i just use the remington sub-sonic, its decently accurate and usually very quiet silenced. i do get the occasional round that cracks the barrier though. still have shot the sr again yet, but will get the tandemkross bushing everyone is reccommending. thanks
Old July 16, 2014, 08:17 AM   #53
bitttorrrent

[QUOTE]My Ruger MKxx and Browning Buckmarks are too big for my 10 year old boy and 12 and 13 year old girls. The SR22 fit their small hands; it allows good trigger reach with proper grip and easy manipulation of controls.[QUOTE]

Have both and was going to say ruger but the grip on sr22 is adjustable from small to large to fit my big hands. Graf little gun.

My daughter still on her .22 cricket single shot though last time out I let her try a .38 revolver. I just put one bullet in but that was enough for her. She is 11 now.
My son is 5 but I don't let him near live guns. I'm getting pellet gun soon for city house so will prob start him on that soon. He is way too much into toy guns at moment and could not keep a real one pointed safely.
Old July 16, 2014, 08:29 AM   #54
peggysue

I learned about 8 yrs old and shot my dads Ruger MK 1. I guess in my state of Iowa one can't let a son or daughter near a handgun till they are 14. Stupid laws.

Last edited by peggysue; July 16, 2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old July 16, 2014, 09:58 AM   #55
jag2

I think as this post has evolved it's become evident that this pistol was not really for the son at all but is in fact a new toy for dad. Perhaps this was a ploy to get past the wife, sometimes a difficult task. Sounds like mission accomplished. Now I admit I've never shot a gun with a can and only seen pictures but my impression is you lose the ability to really aim as well as a pistol without one. Now when you are training a young one to shoot, the challenge is to hit the target, that's what will keep them happy and wanting more. I doubt the son will be that excited over the lack of noise. Dad, yes.
It's time to fess up skizzums. We all know what you were doing but it sounds like you got it by the wife. Congrats.
Old July 16, 2014, 11:12 AM   #56
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag2
Now I admit I've never shot a gun with a can and only seen pictures but my impression is you lose the ability to really aim as well as a pistol without one.
Most .22 silencers don't obstruct your sights at all, so they're just as easy to aim as shooting without it.
Old July 16, 2014, 09:10 PM   #57
Terry A

My first .22 handgun was a Ruger Super Single Six when I was about 11-12 years old. One of the ones I sold when I was having children. Wished I would have held on to it.

I think that single action teaches kids to take their time with their shot process. heck, if I'd been given a Riger Standard Auto .22, can you imagine all the ammo that would have been shot up quicker? Would make for a short range day.
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old July 16, 2014, 10:56 PM   #58
weblance

I have 17 pistols threaded for my suppressor. Only on one, a Beretta Bobcat, are the sights lower than the suppressor.
Old July 18, 2014, 08:17 PM   #59
Alpena

M&P .22 or Ruger Mark 2/3 would be a good fit.
Old August 4, 2014, 01:16 PM   #60
gyvel

Quote:
My six grand kids love the Browning 1911-22......it's a scaled down 1911 that fits small hands extremely well.
+1000 on that. I just got one and I love it. It's small, lightweight and easy for a kid with small hands to handle. Also it has a (much maligned) magazine disconnect in case your kid makes the inevitable boo-boo of forgetting to check the chamber after removing the magazine. All controls function exactly like a 1911, so, when he gets older, he'll be able to graduate to a more serious full-sized 1911.

Stay away from anything that's made of Zamak.
SIFE
Old August 5, 2014, 09:21 PM   #61
bbqbob51

A nice used .22lr revolver like a Ruger Bearcat or a Single Six would be great for a kid because of the simplicity and ease of operation. I have seen many used Single Six revolver in great shape for well less than $400 and some for less than $300. Another option if on a limited budget would be a Heritage Arms Rough Rider. Not as well made as a Ruger or a Smith but very serviceable. My brother has one, a .22lr/.22mag convertible and it goes bang every time and pretty accurate. Not bad for less than $200 for the .22lr and a bit more than $250 for the convertible.
If you must have a semi-auto then I concur with those who suggested the Ruger Mark III or 22/45. Both of these can be had for well less than $400 on sale. A Smith and Wesson 22a are on sale for less than $300 and they are an accurate handgun.