The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 18, 2012, 03:56 PM   #1
VicTor45

Oxyclean for brass?

I read somewhere that you can use Oxyclean and probably foolishly listened. I left a bucket of brass and oxyclean + water overnight and below is what happened. Some cases look fine but the others have this black purple-ish stain on them.

Does this affect the strength of the case?

Old May 18, 2012, 04:04 PM   #2
mrawesome22

Did you use distilled water?

Sent from MIUI using Tapatalk 2.
Old May 18, 2012, 04:05 PM   #3
VicTor45

No, just tap water.

Do you think it's due to the tap water?

Last edited by VicTor45; May 18, 2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old May 18, 2012, 05:49 PM   #4
mrawesome22

Don't know. Tap water has lots of stuff in it that could possibly effect the outcome though.

Iron, calcium, iodine, chlorine... just to name a few.

There is a reason you use distilled water in your radiator. All of these impurities are distilled out.

Old May 18, 2012, 08:14 PM   #5
VicTor45

Thanks.
Old May 18, 2012, 08:50 PM   #6
noylj

Why would you try some cleaning method that is not supported by the industry and may harm your brass?
Why are so many spending so much time on an activity that can be fully addressed by simply taking a rag and wiping off the case exterior?
The purple could be manganese from you tap water.
If you must soak your brass in something, try warm/hot water and a little Dawn.
Personally, I'll stick with 30 minutes in 20/40 corn and not try to compete on the "Shiny Brass" contest circuit.
Old May 18, 2012, 08:53 PM   #7
Sport45

Oxyclean, as the name implies, is an oxydizer. I would expect it to accelerate corrosion.
Old May 18, 2012, 09:13 PM   #8
zxcvbob

Was it a metal bucket or a plastic bucket?

Were there any nickel cases mixed it?
Old May 19, 2012, 12:28 PM   #9
VicTor45

I tried this because I was curious. This isn't my primary method.

I used a plastic bucket and all brass. And by the way, I recycled them, I didn't want to take a chance.
Old May 20, 2012, 03:01 PM   #10
moxie

Victor,

You're being kidded.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old May 20, 2012, 03:54 PM   #11
Cornbread

Quote:
VicTor45 wrote others have this black purple-ish stain on them
I have brass that looks like that. What caused mine was not initially finding the brass and it laying outside for a while. Tumbling in corncob media just made the tarnish shinny. Soaked some in lemon juice and it removed some but not all tarnish. Have reloaded them several times with no problems, they just have a stain on them. Guess you might call that Oxydirty !!!
Old May 20, 2012, 05:46 PM   #12
SLEDAGENT

Tha Toy Shop

We do a lot of polishing at our shop and I have learned that if you use ammonia and soak it for about 10-15min wipe it off and as your wiping you will notice all discoloration will wipe off easily if not let soak jus a lil longger brass will not be very shinny but more of a satin in color but i promise you it will be clean. I use this method all the time for cleaning brass before polishing to mirror finish at my shop.How I came up with the ammonia method is one day i was hand polishing a AR barrel and my wife wanted me to polish some brass what-knots{lol that's what we call it down south} that she had picked up from a thrift store and they looked like CRAPPP with the greenish looking tarnished oxidation I rubbed a spot with the polish and it worked but my god was this stuff dirty, but to soft for the polishing wheel as I was polishing I smelled the ammomia so I figured that's what got to be removing the dark spots on the brass in the polish, so i poored a Hardees cup half full of ammonia NO water I had some brass that I used as a test droped it in pulled it out 10min wiped off and was SPOTLESS.
Also the stain is from the oxi and leaving it in there to long trust me dump the lemon juice and the oxi get the ammonia lol lemon sent if you want to be classy, give me your feed back results.

Last edited by SLEDAGENT; May 20, 2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old May 20, 2012, 06:14 PM   #13
mrawesome22

Ammonia and cartridge brass is a big no no.

Old May 20, 2012, 06:48 PM   #14
SLEDAGENT

mrawesome22

Exsplain why not even if it's rinsed well in distilled water atherewards , But the oxy and lemon juice is fine, just asking..
Old May 21, 2012, 07:49 AM   #15
Cornbread

"Brass is susceptible to stress corrosion cracking, especially from ammonia or substances containing or releasing ammonia. The problem is sometimes known as season cracking after it was first discovered in brass cartridge cases used for rifle ammunition during the 1920s in the Indian Army. The problem was caused by high residual stresses from cold forming of the cases during manufacture, together with chemical attack from traces of ammonia in the atmosphere. The cartridges were stored in stables and the ammonia concentration rose during the hot summer months, so initiating brittle cracks. The problem was resolved by annealing the cases, and storing the cartridges elsewhere."

That’s what I found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass It is listed about a 1/4 way down the page. Might not be good to use ammonia on pistol or rifle brass.
Old May 21, 2012, 11:22 AM   #16
serf 'rett

If I remember correctly...

Ammonia is a caustic, which attacks the brass. Thus we don't use it or products like Brasso which have ammonia.

I haven't read anyone claiming Oxyclean is ok for cleaning brass. Oxidizers are known to attack metals. I know Oxyclean will attack brass because I soaked a pair of pants to long in Oxyclean and the brass stained the cloth.

Lemon juice is acidic, as is vinegar, and will clean brass; however, the brass should not be left in an acid solution to long and the solution should be washed off the brass.

I wet tumble my brass with stainless steel pins, water, Great Value dish soap and Lemishine. The Lemishine reduces the pH to help clean the brass - not that clean brass is necessarily any better for sending pistol rounds down range.
Old May 21, 2012, 11:40 AM   #17
Don P

Tumbling tumble weeds! Thats why they make tumblers and media.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 21, 2012, 11:52 AM   #18
brickeyee

Oxyclean is peroxide based.

Sine the brass is often the final seal between you and many tens of thousands of PSI hot gas, not damaging it is preferred.

Exposure to ammonia leads to long term damage to brass, not matter how well you try to rinse it.

Some of the ammonia is IN the metal.
Old May 21, 2012, 07:58 PM   #19
Styles90

I use ketchup if I want to clean my brass its a little work but it cleans good and if it is real dirty add some salt and that seems take care of that just put some on a cloth or paper towel and wipe away then wash and let them dry of course .....works for me if I must have my brass shiny on the cheap. Maybe one day I can buy a tumbler but right now the wife thinks I have enough money invested into this money saving scheme
Old May 21, 2012, 08:56 PM   #20
Sport45

Quote:
I use ketchup if I want to clean my brass its a little work but it cleans good
Makes sense. Ketchup has vinegar and salt in it. If you left out the tomato paste part it would be less work.
Old May 21, 2012, 09:06 PM   #21
Styles90

I learned something tonight thanks! Next time I clean some I will hold the tomato
Old May 24, 2012, 08:32 AM   #22
brickeyee

Using acids can leach zinc from the brass.

Leave a case long enough and it will have a nice copper color since the zinc is removed from the surface first leaving behind just copper.

Dilute acid and limited time have been used for many years though.

Juts do not go overboard.

Tags
cleaning brass cases