The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 27, 2012, 04:49 AM   #1
Keepin_Jeepin

10mm EAA Witness steel

So I am handgun shopping and I really want a nice 1911 in .45. I was looking at Kimbers and Colts. But I cant ignore this EAA Witness full alloy gun in 10mm. I realize they have it in 9mm and .45 as well but I really want to save owning the .45 for the 1911.

My girlfriends dad carries a 1911 Colt Delta Force 10mm as a backup duty gun and ive shot it a few times and thought the round was fantastic. This gun for under 500 dollars looks fantastic.

Is it a great deal or is there something im not seeing? I am thinking I might buy this and another gun for the price tag of a nice 1911.

Here is a normal one

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=318828952

And the match

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=318885096

I am not sure if the match is worth the extra money.

Thoughts?
Old November 27, 2012, 08:49 AM   #2
Skans

I have a Witness Stock - 10mm. It has been a fantastic gun for me. No problems at all and it is a dream to shoot. The Stock is SA/DA and it has one of the best SA/DA triggers I've ever encountered. Fit and finish on the gun is exceptional. The Stock is more expensive, about $800 +/- and has some upgrades. Glock is your only other option if you want a 10mm with anything close to the capacity that a Witness has.

There are some folks who think negatively about this gun (I'm not one of them, but providing "the other side") On older models, there were some reports of cracked slides and cracked frames. Some folks have complained about EAA customer services. Some time ago, some of the magazines had either the wrong follower installed or it was installed incorrectly. You want the magazines with the orange followers. I have never experienced any of these problems and found customer service to be very responsive when I inquired and purchased some magazines directly from EAA.
Old November 27, 2012, 11:58 AM   #3
surveyor

while no experience with the 10mm..
in answer to the question spend extra $$$ for match?

the diffrences between a standard and a match in 45 were
match had..
single action trigger with pre travel and over travel stops
adjustable sights
dovetailed front sight
extended mag release
skeleton hammer
2 tone finish

considering that after running a mag or 2 through the match I had
I did the following to the standard..
adjustable rear sight
single action trigger..

so, for me, the answer was yes, its worth the extra $$$
even though I prefered the wonder finish to the 2 tone..

as the match is fit a little tighter, I'm not sure about the caliber conversions on it..the standard, not a issue from what I hear..
Old November 27, 2012, 12:32 PM   #4
kahrguy

I had a elit match in 40sw when I was still match shooting and can say it has a great single action trigger and heavy enough to be easy to shoot well. Good following from shooters at brain enos forums too. Lots of aftermarkt pieces at - http://www.henningshootsguns.com/shop/main.html
Old November 27, 2012, 02:16 PM   #5
chris in va

I had one in 45. Highly recommend you try before buying.
Old November 27, 2012, 05:19 PM   #6
carguychris

Quote:
Glock is your only other option if you want a 10mm with anything close to the capacity that a Witness has.
Not necessarily; don't forget about the Megastar!

http://star-firearms.com/firearms/gu...ar/index.shtml

OTOH if you're looking for a pistol that's built by a still-extant company and has readily available anything, then yeah, the G20 and the Witness are the only games in town.
Old November 27, 2012, 05:44 PM   #7
mmb713

I have Matches in 9mm and 45. Definitely worth the extra money. Much better trigger, accurized barrel, hand fit in Tanfoglio's custom shop, better case, stronger slide. For Tanfoglio 10mm, or any other caliber really, the Elite series is the way to go and the Match gives you a whole lot more gun over the base model for not a lot more money.
Old November 28, 2012, 09:00 AM   #8
Skans

Quote:
Not necessarily; don't forget about the Megastar!
Yes, there are supposedly Megastar 10mm's out there. I have a Megastar 45; have been looking for a 10mm for years now. I have come across 2 in the last 7-9 years or so and they usually go for over $800, and are in so-so condition. I finally gave up; paid $700 for an almost new in box Witness Stock 10mm, and haven't looked back since.

The Megastar is a big heavy beast. It's almost (not quite) the size of my Desert Eagle .44 Magnum. No doubt, it is a stout durable gun. But, it is not a refined gun - rough casting marks, trigger is poor even for a DA/SA.

Unless you are a Glock guy, there are really only 3 practical 10mm platforms: Witness line; S&W 3rd gen 10m's and 1911 format.
Old November 28, 2012, 09:46 AM   #9
SGHOTH

There have been some problems reported with the Witness line. Do a search here or on some of the 10mm forums. I have not had any problems and think they are worth a shot. Between the two mentioned the Match is a much nicer shooter.

One of the "problems" with the Witness line is they were (and I assume still are), sprung for standard 10MM loadings. This means the hotter loads can beat them up some. If you are going to be shooting Double tap or Buffalo Bore or similar I would recomend upgrading the springs. Make sure they balance out.

Just for the record if you find yourself flush with cash look at the STI line. They also make some nice double stack 10mm's.
Old November 28, 2012, 01:28 PM   #10
kahrguy

sghoth Are you new to semi-autos?? Most shooters know you can get heavier recoil springs for hotter loads and trim some down for powder cake loads. match shooters have done this for decades. Check out wolf springs to see your options. Also like even some darn costly customs trobled firearms do happen thats way there is CS . And theres at eaa has improved greatly from severial years ago.