The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 12, 2007, 04:51 PM   #1
pastor paul

steel cases

Can steel cases be reloaded (i.e., Wolf)? Any extra steps or precautions?
Old April 12, 2007, 04:53 PM   #2
mrawesome22

Steel on steel? I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't put that crap in my gun either for the same reason.
Old April 12, 2007, 05:02 PM   #3
BigJimP

No, the resizing dies don't resize steel - so it should not be reloaded.

I would not recommend Wolf ammo be fired in anyone's weapon - it's corrosive and really dirty.
Old April 12, 2007, 05:09 PM   #4
Smokey Joe

Steel Case Reloading

Pastor Paul--Every time this subject comes up there is somebody who claims that they reload steel cases and they work just fine. De gustibus non dispudatum est. (Of [matters of] taste there is no argument.)

NOT IN MY RELOADING PRESS!!!! NOT IN MY RIFLE!!!! No, thank you!!

Steel is less springy than brass; requires more force to resize, harder on the operator if not on the equipment; not as likely to spring enough on firing to seal the chamber, etc, etc.

Steel cases were never meant to be reloaded. They were meant to be fired once and left to rust on the battlefield. They are cheaper to produce than brass cases; accuracy was not a prime consideration.

When brass cases work so well for reloading, and are available plentifully, either as free (scrounged) range brass, from firing your factory ammo, or boughten from a supply house like Midway for not all THAT many dollars, I see no benefit from trying to overcome the difficulties of reloading steel cases in order to make an inferior product.

So, to briefly answer yr original question, Yes, but don't bother.

--Smokey Joe
Old April 12, 2007, 07:49 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

In a word, yes.

But it's a pain in the ass.

And steel cases on a steel reloading die?

Big whoop.

The steel in a steel case is FAR softer than the steel in a reloading die.

Heck, the nickle plating on a lot of cases is FAR harder than the mild steel used in some casings.

If you really want to do this (and the only reason I can see for doing it would be for a very hard to find or obsolete cartridge), use LOTS of lubrication and recognize that it's going to take more force to do so.

Just for the record...

I HAVE reloaded steel cases, for the 8x56R Hungarian rifle.

Yes, it was a pain in the butt.

No, it wasn't really worth it.

Yes, it was a learning experience.

Yes, it took more force.

No, the dies didn't wear out in 17.2 miliseconds.

We reloaded several hundred of these over the span of some months.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 12, 2007, 08:56 PM   #6
dodgestdshift

I tried with Wolf 45 ACP cases. All went well until I got a couple with small flash holes. They pulled the decapping pin out of the die, and tied up the press, shell stuck in shell holder, being unable to remove the pin. I had to use a screwdriver to force the case from the press. The Wolf cases went in the garbage, and never again.

Don N.
Old April 12, 2007, 09:46 PM   #7
pastor paul

thanx guys. i greatly appreciate your input. SomeOne was urging me to ask before i did something dumb (again). your advice echoed what others said on some other sites i belong to. i have reloaded much of my ammo for 25 years now but never had the occurance to shoot anything with a steel case. my curiosity has arisen since i shall (hopefully) soon be in possession of my first BR and must accumilate mags and ammo. i have also been gleaning opinions on Wolf ammo, reading what some of you said above and also reading others who have had no problems / concerns. i determined i would purchase some if it could be reloaded. i am coursely convinced i shall spend my money on other ammo.
j in J - pp
Old April 15, 2007, 04:35 AM   #8
Dannyboy303

My op on Wolf ammo is that it is absolute crap. One of my mates has a 223 vanguard rifle in the heavy barrel varmint edition... not sure what the rifle is exacly called but its a new rifle and he got some Wolf ammo for it. Generally it was accurate but some bullets Litterally at 100yards would veer off and hit a spot of ground 2metres to the left or right of the target( i dont know whether that's projectiles splitting or what??). Not to mention he'd have to take a cleaning rod to knock the shells out that got stuck in the chamber because they had the smallest specs of dust on them, and after fired the expanded shell would stick. Nope not the extractor problem but ammo. Some of the ammo he bought had no projectiles and gunpowder in them also.
This is the Wolf ammo from Russia im speaking of unless there is also another company with a similar name that also make ammo. After he bought some Federal ammo that comes in a bulk 500 pack i think for only 4c a shot extra, and with that he's getting quality brass that can be reloaded. It works fine
Old April 15, 2007, 06:14 AM   #9
gypsybiker

the only one id use steel for reloads is .50 BMG