The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 8, 2000, 01:27 AM   #1
Gary H

Perhaps more money than common sense. My stock was facing forend reduction and butt extension. I added a few more bucks and picked-up the Hogue product. The sticky rubber material is a real non-slip surface. I was able to use the butt extension to size my 870 and improve mounting. My tactical light and mag extension added front end weight. The Comp Stock provided more balance. The 870 is done, now I need to work on technique. I won't be shooting until Sunday, or Monday. Part II next week.
Old September 8, 2000, 12:09 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Gary, if it works for you....

How about a range report afterwards? Thanks...
Old September 8, 2000, 01:34 PM   #3
Mr. Pub

I bought one too. It went on without a problem. I also got the overmolded forend. I have not shot with it on, yet. I was a little worried that all the springs and parts would fly out after my first shot. Hopefully not. If this can cut the recoil down by 55% as they advertise, shooting shotguns could become cool. I am getting some new sights put on my 870 so, when I get a chance to shoot it I will also post my results.

Old September 8, 2000, 03:36 PM   #4
Robe

Congratulations, Dave on witholding your comment about ... it's like sex. If it hurts, you're doing it wrong. Gary H, I can tell by your first line of your post that you may feel intimidated to post about the Hogue stock. Please do not be at all. This is what we need to be able to talk about. If it works for you and solves some problem you are personally experiencing, please tell us about it. Also feel just as free to tell us if it does not work for you. I would like to hear how it works for you after yo try it. Please let us know.
Old September 9, 2000, 11:37 PM   #5
Gary H

Robe:

I purchase guns for the rather slim chance that I might need them for H.D. I practice shooting for the same reason. Sometimes I feel that I'm just paranoid. I reassure myself that I am paranoid, but also have other glaring defects, so what the hell. BTW, it is really nice knowing that there are others out there.

My personality is such that if I do something, I go all the way. I didn't own a gun eighteen months ago. Actually, my dad gave me a Ruger 10/22 in 1967, but I didn't shoot it again until last year. I've purchase about a dozen guns, so that I could experience shooting different calibers, triggers and the like. I am now selling off many of these guns and the ones that I am keeping are being "personalized" as per my interests. I have found the posts on this board to be very instructional.

Dave's shotgun post have been great. His and other posts made me realize that my shotgun mount wasn't right. My sidesaddle shell holder made my standard 870 defense forend in need of modification. I liked the Hogue on my revolver, the idea of reduced recoil and thought that I would give the Compstock and forend a try. I was really happy to find that the 870 balance and proper pull have transformed my shotgun. It is really amazing. The gun now pivots by itself and is perfectly balanced. I don't really know how to describe the difference, but it shows me that small changes can make a big difference. The gun is heavier: tac light, mag extension, ghost rings, sidesaddle and the Hogue stuff, but it feels much better than stock and moves quicker than when it weighed much less. Balance seems to be very important. Will shoot tomorrow (today on the right coast).

Old September 10, 2000, 05:01 PM   #6
Gary H

Since I last shot my 870 I have added weight, Vang Comp'd the barrel and added the Hogue stuff. Shooting was much less tiring and my follow-up shots were faster and probably more accurate. I did not feel disconnected from the gun and was rather well pleased with the recoil. I was expecting a tighter pattern. I could only shoot my Federal Tactical 00 Buck at 30 yards. At that distance the pattern was a ten to twelve inch doughnut. Pre Vang it was 30", so that is a big improvement.
Old September 10, 2000, 08:25 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

10-12" at 30 yards is very good, Gary. Bet a little load research may cut that even further.Just for comparison, my old duty 00 runs 20-24" at 25 yards out of my HD 870.

And glad I am that it's working for you.