The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 12, 2007, 09:32 AM   #51
gmanpma

I always carry a knife. And in Florida auto's are legal, and I have a bunch. As many have said not so much for defensive purposes, they are just handy to have.
Old August 12, 2007, 12:22 PM   #52
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelptwan
I carried a spyderco civilian up until it was stolen
I don't mean to hijack this thread. My apologies.

Contact Josh. He still shows that model on his website.
Old August 12, 2007, 01:32 PM   #53
sm

Quote:
Do you carry a knife?
Just wondering if many folks carry a knife as a secondary defense weapon.
No.

I was raised in a time one was not dressed if they did not have a knife on person.
Boys and Girls, Ladies and Gents, didn't matter, one was not dressed without a knife.
Knives were just another tool.

1.No tool is any better than user of said tool.
2. It is the intent of the user - not the tool itself.

Seems some folks around here use that second one a lot against Gun Control folks and legislations...

As a kid, we brought pocket knives to school, we sharpened pencils with them and what not.

Defensive stuff we were taught was Mental.
So yeah a knife "could be" used as a defensive tool, then again so could that stapler on the teacher's desk, or that mason jar full of pencils, crayons and the like, or that *groan* Math text book.

Oh I have used a Case Trapper and defended myself in a serious situation.
Sliced his stomach wide open with that carbon steel blade, and he let go, and dropped that gun right fast!

Case Trapper is what I carried because I did all sorts of things with it. Cutting rope, opening boxes, cleaning fish, game, whittling...

I don't run around with a Heavy Glass Pitcher as a defensive weapon, be it primary, secondary or name a "dary".

I know for a fact a Glass Pitcher will stop an immediate threat right fast.
I and mine in had guns, and the Mental said " use the pitcher".

Street Smarts:
I've seen the homeless person take a screwdriver and beat the gangbanger with a "nine" . He did not get cut using that screwdriver either.
Old August 12, 2007, 05:23 PM   #54
22-rimfire

I carry a knife all the time unless I have to go into a public building. I don't feel dressed without a knife in my pocket. The knife gets used every single day as it is a very comvenient tool. Never been in a knife fight, and don't want to be. I enjoy all the new blades that are available these days. I also get a kick out of people that believe they are going to use their trusty Spydie for defense. It can happen, but not common. If it was common, I'd reach for a gun. Knife fights are down right messy. There are no winners.
Old August 12, 2007, 08:33 PM   #55
mountainclmbr

I am usually armed in a caliber starting with a 4. At times I have to travel to the victim disarmament zones like California, Maryland, New Jersey and New York. I Awways carry a knife here too, but in these areas that is all I am left with. I carry a Kershaw Assisted Open when I can, a CRKT M16-02Z when I cant carry AO.
Old August 16, 2007, 01:11 PM   #56
hecate

I always have at least two or three HideAwayKnives on me at all times. As a civilian government employee, I can't carry my Kimber at work, but my UHAK neck knife somehow ended up on the outside one day and NOBODY NOTICED. Not even in meetings. Of course, I normally wear three badges, three proximity cards, a pager (they're too cheap to issue us cell phones), an idisk, two conventional master keys and a gasboy key around my neck. Probably disappeared into the crowd.

The UHAK is for opening boxes and such. The Brock Midnight Claw on my belt under my shirt is for defense, and the Ankle Claw is for last-ditch defense.

I used to carry a Spyderco Matriarch with a Delica for box-opening duty, but in force-on-force training I found the HAK's (training drone) are the only blades I can use reliably when the fit hits the shan.
Old August 16, 2007, 05:43 PM   #57
westphoenix

Dollar for dollar one of the best tools I have purchased:
Old August 18, 2007, 11:17 PM   #58
bkjeffrey

Jason G, you stuck yourseld with that griptillitan yet? I had bad experiences with one where it would often open in my pocket. Lots of cut fingers! Traded it for a CRKT. Much happier now. That Pardue blade was always razor sharp though.
Old August 18, 2007, 11:33 PM   #59
Zesty

I carry a Kershaw Scallion I think is the model. Black with the black treatment on the blade. To be honest the knife just fits me great. I am about 6'2" 170 pounds with average size hands and the knife is JUST big enough. It has the assisted opening which is definitely nice and useful. However, I have tried out some other brand new ones(mine says August '04 on blade), and the action was not nearly as smooth as mine.
Old August 24, 2007, 08:03 PM   #60
Old Coach

For work I carry a German Eye 3 blade stockman. I use it Every day. On weekends and after work I carry a Kershaw scallion, and my Sunday go to meetin knife is a pretty little Benchmade.
Old August 24, 2007, 10:13 PM   #61
RB047

I carry a BenchMade Mini griptillion... its a great little knife and super durable for whatever i need it for, after damaging a couple knives before these seem to be very reliable and well worth the price.
Old August 24, 2007, 10:27 PM   #62
DonR101395

Here is what I carry. It's a Mark Goldsworthy custom with a left hand chisel grind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LH Black Wharnie.jpg (55.7 KB, 55 views)
Old August 24, 2007, 10:53 PM   #63
MyXD40

I was thinking of if I want to carry a knife or not. I dont know if I want all that weight on my belt/pockets. I'm getting ragged on for saying I want to carry handcuffs with me..but I guess if you want to stab someone or shoot them rather than handcuff them..well I dont know. Maybe I should carry a knife though because well, ANYTHING can happen!

maybe I'll go look at some tomorrow..hmmm now another toy for me to buy and another reason for my girly to yell at me! lol
Old September 3, 2007, 11:06 AM   #64
Ocraknife

Quote:
ken onion kershaw. while I don't sleep with it I rarely leave the house without it hooked on my pocket.
Yep, got two of those.

-Jimro
Old September 23, 2007, 05:59 AM   #65
CamoCop

i carry a Ken Onion "Kershaw" self assisted folding knife
Old September 25, 2007, 03:16 AM   #66
nforcelaw4u

Benchmade is the way to go

I carry a Benchmade Auto and have for about 10 years. As a matter of fact it has been through 3 pocket clips and one spring. I have sent it back to the factory each time for repairs and resharpening. I have lots of knives but love my Benchmade. If I dont have my Benchmade with me I feel Naked !! I find it comforting to know that I have it with me should I need it, but I dont feel like I carry it as a backup weapon. Hope this helps !!
Old September 25, 2007, 04:14 AM   #67
spankaveli

Yep, 2 of em. Microtech Kestrel Manual in my left front pocket and CRKT M16-13Z in my right.
Old September 26, 2007, 01:41 PM   #68
Murdoch

I carry a knife anywhere I legally can, except work, usually. Not as a weapon though...like most of the posters here, I view knives as very useful tools that CAN be used as a weapon if needed.

That said, I tend to carry a liner or axis-type locking blade clipped in my strongside front, back or cargo pocket depending on clip configuration and what I'm wearing. I like CRKT and Benchmade (They have a nice line of "budget" folders) as well as my trusty Spyderco Rescue.

Have I ever used it as a weapon? No...thought I might have to once or twice, but always a false alarm. Use it as a tool? Pretty much every day.

On a side note, I do like folders that protrude from my grip some when still folded...something that can be used as an impact weapon if needed without the blade open. I like having options
Old September 26, 2007, 03:43 PM   #69
MyXD40

my 2nd defense weapon is my wife.

..no lol but honestly, my 2nd defense weapon is my gun. it may be half plastic, but the slide has got a good kick to it! and cheap, only $500 so I can either open my safe and get another new XD or just buy another one. sweetness

no knifes for me. I like things that flash, or are bling bling like..not a good idea
Old September 26, 2007, 04:01 PM   #70
dwatts47

^^^^

and we all know how flashy and bling bling black xd pistols are.
Old September 26, 2007, 04:03 PM   #71
MyXD40

^^exactly! it lacks bling bling..so a barrel polish is on the way
Old September 26, 2007, 04:04 PM   #72
dwatts47

Just kiddin guy....

Dura coated XD's and Glocks look kinda ...well I think I saw a mall Ninja with a ceramic coated G-lock.
Old September 26, 2007, 04:48 PM   #73
Alaskanmonte

I carry an old Spyderco. I don't remember the model name. Its has a curved, fully serrated blade. It has the old black metal pocket clip on it. I've been carrying it for 5-6 years now. I don't leave home without it.
Old September 27, 2007, 01:51 AM   #74
skeeter1

Whenever I'm out of the house, I've got one of a half-dozen folders to chose from, and one will go with me clipped in a pocket. Although it would certainly work for SD, I find myseld using them all the time for opening boxes, cutting twine, etc. The newest one is a 4" Benchmade, and it's a beaut! The only one that never leaves the house is the Italian stilleto. THe last I heard, they were illegal, and I figure if I ever need to use a knife for SD, I'll be in enough hot water and don't need to make it any worse for myself
Old October 1, 2007, 10:26 AM   #75

http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r..../pages/SP7.htm

Right now, Schrade SP7. Great "beater" knife. Use it all the time. Mostly opening boxes and such. Usually I'll carry a nicer knife around when I'm not at work. I must have over 40 different ones. Buck, Gerber, Ka-Bar, Bench Made, Spyderco, Case, Kershaw, Victorinox, Al Mar, Remington, Colt, SOG, you name it. Inherited most of them.

Ronald Reagan