The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 29, 2013, 07:27 PM   #1
FloridaGuy

Load for .45 Colt 185 Gr SWC

I was given 2 boxes of Hornady .45 Cal 185 Gr SWC. Since they will not cycle through either of my 1911's I would like to load them for my .45 Colt for range shooting. I am loading with Clay's powder.

Anyone know where I can find a load for this combination? I tried the Lyman Reloading manual and the Hornady reloading manual with out any luck.

Authorized Blackhound Optics Dealer www.blackhoundoptics.com/CWFT
Old June 29, 2013, 10:54 PM   #2
Hammerhead

Is that the jacketed match SWC?

Hodgdon doesn't have data for Clays and jacketed bullets in .45 Colt, there might be a reason for that.

Do you have a slower powder like Unique or Universal?
Old June 30, 2013, 06:11 AM   #3
Mike / Tx

You might see if you can track down one of the Lyman Cast Bullet Manuals, and see what they might have there.

I have a 60'ish version of a Lyman manual which lists a 170gr RN, and 9 grains of Unique as a start load, and 12 grains as a top end, then a 235gr RN with 8 grains of Unique as a start load, with a top end of 10.7 grains.

If you can find similar references with similar bullet weights it would be easy to determine a starting point. Just do not exceed the top end data of the lighter bullet. This is of course using Unique as a comparrison powder. It has been pretty forgiving in my experience with this case using the mid-ranged loads with most of the cast bullets I have used it with. Some pour up in weird weights depending on the alloy, or there is simply nothing in data which shows the particular weight of a custom mold.

If push came to shove, " I myself " might use around 7-8 grains as a start load, and work up to around 9-10 grains as a top end.

That is me however, and I am not saying this would be good for your particular use or firearm. Still in all, use the above as simply a reference. It is not intended to be used, implied, nor represented, as factual data, by myself nor this site. Always consult actual data and adhere to all safety rules.
Old June 30, 2013, 09:01 AM   #4
rclark

For .45 Colt 180g RNFP, Hodgens shows Clays 4.8g (840fps) to 6.0g (1016fps) . Should work fine for your 185g SWCs....
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.