The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 1, 2010, 06:24 PM   #1
bobelk99

Hearing Protection

I am seeking input on experience with the hearing protection in the marketplace.

I have for years used Clark Straightaways when I don't need to hear voice input, and Peltor Tactical 6 for uses when I need to hear voices.

I use them for shooting and for protection from equipment noise.

I ran over the Peltor and need to get a replacement. The Peltors have worked fine for me, but I want to shop around.

Priorities are
1. Functionality
2. Comfort
3. Price

Any sharing of experience ratings and recommendations would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Old May 2, 2010, 06:20 PM   #2
cloudcroft

bobelk99,

I thought someone would answer you by now, but no...so I will, even though I probably wil not be of real help to you.

...because (and although I am not rich) I use the high-end ($$$) Pro Ears products for my electronic hearing needs. Unlike some electronic ear muffs, Pro Ears don't cut out (clip) loud sounds, they just attenuate them. I like that.

But my MAIN reason for having them is not for the range (I rarely go out shooting), but for in my home to (1) locate intruders and (2) protect my ears (but not theirs) from the noise of firing a gun indoors. SO in a sense, they are for hunting (especially helpful as they MAGNIFY sounds to help you locate 'game').

I am sure you can not go wrong with any of the higher-end electronic ear muffs regardless of brand, but Pro Ears is my choice, and I have written on these extensively in several online gun forums.

Check out their 2 videos here: http://www.proears.com/

As mentioned, Pro Ears are quite expensive, so they may not be in your budget. Still, since no one else has responded, maybe my post will get them started...in disagreeing with me at the very least! :barf:

Good luck,

-- John D.

Last edited by cloudcroft; May 2, 2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old May 2, 2010, 06:43 PM   #3
bobelk99

I too was surprised at the lack of responses.

Thanks for your input. I hate to spend money, but based on all I have been able to glean, the Peltor Protec and the Pro Ears seem to be the final two choices. That's what nice about being 108 years or so old. Can buy what you want.

Thanks for your input.
Old May 2, 2010, 06:59 PM   #4
cloudcroft

Well, if you can wait a while, others probably WILL chime in here.

In the meantime, research those two brands while you are waiting. Spending that much $$$ you'll want to get as much info as you can BEFORE your purchase. Not only the product, of course, but Customer Service AFTER the sale -- with is true for ANY product, isn't it.

As for Customer Service (the office staff) at Pro Ears, I can vouch for them 100% -- especially Bill McCort in their tech/repair department: They very recently completely rebuilt my 5-year old Pro Ears Dimension 1 muffs with new everything (including dual circuit boards)...the only thing that is original on them now is the hard shell 'Dimension 1 logo' outer original earcups. All foam inside the cups, the padding/seal around the earcups and even the headband/padding itself were replaced. And they even paid for shipping mine back to them (I had a mysterious problem with battery drain on one side even when turned off and Bill decided that was the best way to take care of the problem). Now I have 'new" muffs with current technology (their Predator 300 circuit boards).

Some people think Pro Ears are great, some think they are not worth the steep price. The majority of posts seem to praise them (one post was by a guy in Iraq, IIRC). Still, do some research and YOU decide for yourself. At least you will be making an EDUCATED purchase...and that's about all we can do.

Good luck,

-- John D.

P.S. 108? Wow...and you're still worried about your EARS?

I wish that were my only problem, being a youngster of only 60!

Last edited by cloudcroft; May 2, 2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old May 6, 2010, 12:29 AM   #5
cloudcroft

P.P.S.

Still no others responding...

You might check out some of the OTHER gun forums (I read/post in some of them and this topic comes up there, too, and answered). Actually, no matter what the question subject field, checking out multiple forums gets you a bunch of responses to sort through.

PM me of you want more info.

-- John D.