The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 13, 2007, 11:49 PM   #1
shurshot

BP laws around the world?

Just curious what the various BP laws are around the globe? Here in the USA (State of Maine), no restrictions, aside from felons not allowed to buy/own/sell BP guns, while not considered a modern gun by GCA 68, BP guns ARE considered firearms by definition. You may order BP guns in the mail and have them delivered to your door UPS. No background check, registration and or waiting period. BP guns may be used for hunting in this state. What are the laws like in other nations (and States in the USA)?
Old March 13, 2007, 11:52 PM   #2
Charshooter

Many I know use them when black powder only is the season. Many more younger men today, I think that is interesting.
Old March 14, 2007, 12:02 AM   #3
Dreadnought

I'm pretty sure since no federal license is required to sell them, it would be the same throughout the US. Just pay the manufacturer/distributor and they can ship it to your door. At least it is that way in VA. Kalifornistan and other psycho states may be different.
Old March 14, 2007, 01:47 AM   #4
arcticap

In the UK, it's illegal to hunt [deer] with muzzle loaders. It's like that in Poland too, but Germany does allow muzzle loading hunting. In Poland, muzzle loading rifles must be traditional replicas designed before a certain date, but I'm not sure of the exact year. C&B pistols are also legal in Poland and don't require a license, but I'm told that the gov't often harasses gunshops that sell black powder itself, and will temporarily close them down making its availability unpredictable in some places.
In Germany, single shot BP pistols are not regulated, but C&B revolvers do require a license which takes a full year to get approved.

Last edited by arcticap; March 16, 2007 at 11:24 PM.
Old March 14, 2007, 04:15 AM   #5
Donaldo

Actualy in the People's Republik of Kommifornia, there are no restrictions other than you have to be 18 and not a felon. Even at that, you can mail order any muzzle loading/cap-and-ball firearm through the mail or purchase locally with no background check.

What cracks me up is as far as I can ascertain, there are no laws in CA about buying conversion cyclinders either. So you can buy something chambered in .45LC and not have the crap, excess expense, or any semblence of paperwork compared to buying even a crappy, used, probably-more-dangerous-to-the-shooter .22 pistol.
Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow. - Isaiah 1:17
Old March 14, 2007, 05:52 AM   #6
Moloch

In Austria BP shooters dont need any special licenses to own BP or BP firearms, you can by blackpowder when you are 18 or older, but muzzleloaders firearms are not considered as firearms so everyone can buy one.
You can even hunt with muzzleloaders, we have no caliber restrictions for hunting, we could even hunt our very big male deer or boars with .22lrs if we want to. Luckily we dont have such fools here, the caliber 8x57, .308 and 9x62 is used for almost every kind of game - except varmint (fox and badger). For varmint our huntsmen use .22 magnum and .22 hornet or .223.

However, in Germany you have to do a special powder and pyrotechnics course to own BP firarms and powder.
Old March 14, 2007, 07:05 AM   #7
LEE3370

I am pretty sure that Ill and NJ require an FFL. I have tryed to buy from companies in those states and they won't ship without an FFL. Cabelas lists the restricted states on their website.
The state that cracks me up is NY. A person can buy and own a blackpowder replica without a permit. BUT get the supplies (powder, balls, and caps) and you must have a permit to own the replica. :barf:
Old March 16, 2007, 11:57 AM   #8
Double J

LEE3370 is right about Illinois. BP guns same as modern. We can build one for ourself but all FFL/BATF restrictions apply if we sell. Then we have to be licensed as a Manufacturer, barrels stamped, all those things.
Old March 25, 2007, 05:22 AM   #9
plom

Here in France BP firearms are the only firearms you can buy without any paperwork. Anybody other 18 year old can go to a gunshop and buy as many BP guns as he want, otherwise for anything else but BP weapons you MUST be member of a shooting club or in possetion of a hunting permit to buy even a 22 cal single shot carabine!
BP firearms are considered as "recreative firearms" and not registred, otherwise, everything else require or a "permit to buy and own" like for handguns or military type weapons, or a registration form for any other weapon.
Old March 25, 2007, 08:59 AM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

So, is it safe to buy an Uberti or Euroarms or any other black powder muzzle loading replica and take it into Germany or France (unloaded of course)?
Old March 26, 2007, 07:26 AM   #11
KpdPipes

in NJ BP firearms are considered the same as fixed-ammop guns, and regulated the same. FID card to purchase BP longarms, and handgun purchase permit for (each) handgun(s).
Old March 26, 2007, 10:09 AM   #12
Fred_Fred

I live in Illinois and just ordered a BP revolver from Cabelas. I had to fax them a copy of my FOID card and they mailed it to my house. I originally thought they would only send it to a FFL holder but when I called to check for sure they just needed that copy.
Old March 26, 2007, 06:58 PM   #13
O.S.O.K.

I was reading on another board

that South Africa bans cap and ball revolvers but does allow muzzle loaders. I'm willing to bet that cap and balls are not allowed in the UK?

This is interesting. If I lived in France, I'de have a nice bp collection

A couple of cap and ball revolvers would be very good personal protection for the house. I doubt you could carry them though

Thank God I live in the USA and even better, Texas
Old March 29, 2007, 04:31 PM   #14
Mk VII

Here, muzzle-loaders are treated the same as cartridge arms if they are newly made.
Originals are free of restriction, broadly speaking - unless you want to shoot them.
BP itself requires an Explosives Licence under the Explosives Act 1875. The various BP substitutes do not.
Old April 13, 2007, 03:13 AM   #15
hildo

In Holland you will need a firearms license. You may have a maximum of 5 guns. There is just one type license and, for instance, no difference between a BP musket or an AK47.
Guns made before 1945, designed to shoot BP only, are free to have for anybody.
Old April 13, 2007, 06:30 PM   #16
Dnepr 750

BP laws

In Sweden, original BP guns pre 1890 is free for all .Powder to. Replicas, you have to have a license, just as for a centrefire gun.
Old April 14, 2007, 03:16 PM   #17
old 12 gauge

In upstate NY, muzzle loading rifles, shotguns are not concidered firearems and anyone over 18 can buy them over the counter... BP pistols can be owned without a pistol license or back ground check..BUT the owner better not have the powder,caps and ball for them or he's in violation of the famous Sullivan Laws.

New York City has their own laws down there and even they don't know what they are.