The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 18, 2014, 06:58 PM   #1
baddarryl

Watch yourselves out there!

There is a reason I don't like face to face sales.

http://portcitydaily.com/2014/09/18/...on-craigslist/
Old September 18, 2014, 07:45 PM   #2
TXAZ

Good reminder. I think most people are honest, but you don't want to be the statistic.
I had a husky underage kid try to buy a pistol off me several years ago. Got very huffy, thought he might get violent, kicked him out of the house (won't sell from there again). Will be well armed if I sell another one.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 18, 2014, 08:31 PM   #3
campingnights

I've sold a couple from the house, article gives me pause to consider...

My wife told me that I can't have too many guns, I agreed and told her I can never have too many guns...and then the trouble began
Old September 18, 2014, 09:06 PM   #4
baddarryl

A couple of years ago I went to do a possible trade with someone. As I am in the kitchen the guys kid walks out of the back room with a shotgun. Now the action was open and he was not a threat, but it really made me think AT THAT VERY MOMENT just how vulnerable I was. I was armed, but if he wanted to ambush me it would have been no contest.

Now the only place I would do a private transaction is a pubic place, LGS, recommended by someone I know, or consign them. Something like that.
Old September 18, 2014, 09:26 PM   #5
Nathan

My basic technique is to meet in a public parking lot in an area I know well. I'm always armed and I leave the 5 shot CCW's home for these. I like to have a second person with me as a witness to the deal.

Still, there is significant risk...
Old September 18, 2014, 09:30 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I don't like to sell firearms but, when I do, I put them on consignment at an FFL's shop. The few extra dollars I might save on the consignment commission aren't worth the risk and aggravation of dealing with the scum who are likely to respond to an ad.

Of course, I'm in a state that requires all sales of handguns to go through an FFL anyway, so I either pay a consignment commission or I pay a transfer fee.

:shrug:
Old September 19, 2014, 11:31 PM   #7
Andy Blozinski

Craig's List seems to have a long and storied history of murder, theft and rape. I'd never use it.
Just this week, two murderers were sent up for life:

http://news.yahoo.com/pennsylvania-n...173612815.html
Old September 19, 2014, 11:51 PM   #8
TXAZ

The last FTF I did was pretty interesting: In a Cabellas parking lot, buying a handgun from a cop on a stakeout. Felt much safer than the one home experience.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 20, 2014, 01:37 PM   #9
Outlaw75

Quote:
When the victim met with the men to sell his rifle, one of the men reportedly took the rifle and pointed it at the victim, Rawley said. The victim told the men the rifle was unloaded, took a pistol out of his waistband and pointed it at the men, Rawley said.

The victim made the men lie on the ground, fled the area with his rifle and called police.
That is, without a doubt, the funniest thing I have read in a long time!
Old September 20, 2014, 10:20 PM   #10

I've seen firearms listed on CL, but not for very long. The ad usually gets pulled in a short time.
Old September 21, 2014, 09:49 AM   #11
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Craig's List seems to have a long and storied history of murder, theft and rape. I'd never use it.
Craig's List isn't the problem. The same sorts of problems occurred in the olden days when people met stranger via newspaper ads. You hear about Craig's List more because it is a sort of national clearing house, but if you put all the old newspaper stories together from across the country, you would have the same problem.
Old September 21, 2014, 10:34 AM   #12
jeager106

I use a local weekly rag to advertize in(rare). Never let anyone come to my
house that I don't know well. Meet in a public parking lot in daytime & take a friend. We are both armed.
I'd never use Craigslist.
Here we have an auction house that takes firearms only once a month.
They get their fees, do all the FFL work. Think I might try that.
Old September 21, 2014, 12:09 PM   #13
armoredman

I advertised an UZI Model B back in 1989 in the paper, (no real Internet back then. Al Gore was still working on it. ), and got one call. He wanted to meet me in a parking lot BEHIND a local pizzeria about 11 at night. Needless to say, that deal didn't happen.
I've bought and sold a lot of firearms in private sales because Arizona recognizes that unless the sale is knowingly violating state or federal law, then the state has no business getting involved in personal sale of lawfully owned goods. Mostly I deal with people I know well.
Old September 21, 2014, 12:15 PM   #14
jag2

This is a little off topic but remembering it made me chuckle.
When I was a kid (many decades ago) we had a 7-11 type place that sold a lot things (remember the tube testers so you could fix your TV or radio) including ammo. A guy walked in and bought a box of .22s, paid for them, took out a pistol, loaded it and robbed the store. That was really just rude.
Old September 21, 2014, 01:49 PM   #15
longknife12

New FTF's, under new Col laws, have to go through a FFL....just as well meet at the LGS... I did them for years without a hitch.
Dan
Old September 21, 2014, 07:04 PM   #16
FrankenMauser

Nope.
Couldn't have happened.
Not possible.

Craigslist doesn't allow firearms listings.
Old September 22, 2014, 07:55 AM   #17
baddarryl

FrankenMauser it happened. I know the neighborhood. People use codes like 'things that go bang' or whatever to get around the filters. I see it all the time.
Old September 22, 2014, 08:38 AM   #18
Mike Irwin
Staff

Frank's being pointedly sarcastic about Craig's List's ban on firearms sales.

About the only thing I'll use Craig's list for is camping stuff. Don't think I'm going to get robbed by some granola cruncher who's decided to drive a Prius instead of living in a tent.

But I still go armed, and I take a friend with me.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 22, 2014, 09:22 AM   #19
Skans

I just did a FTF in a parking lot. I was the buyer. Seller was a really nice guy - things couldn't have been smoother. However, we did communicate a good bit beforehand. Of course, I was armed; and I'm sure he was as well.
Old September 24, 2014, 09:37 PM   #20
Dragline45

I always meet in the parking lot of a public place, and I always bring an armed friend with me, while I am armed myself.
Old September 25, 2014, 05:01 PM   #21
PoiDog

On the Chicago Craig's list, they talk about FOID items which apparently gets through the "gun" censor software.

I've bought tools off CL, but never guns so far. I also avoid those certain areas likely to have miscreants like those in the news story.
Old September 25, 2014, 09:21 PM   #22
zach_

Several episodes of First 48 were robery/murder/internet ads. I went to look at a boat from CL. I told the guy I was not bringing cash at the first meet. Turns out he did not actually own the boat. It had no title, tags, TX number. Total scam. Saw the same picture a week later with a different seller. No way I would meet anywhere for a gun purchase or sale.
Old September 25, 2014, 10:42 PM   #23
BigBL87

I've sold sporting equipment and a car on Craigslist. I always meet in a well lit public place that I am familiar with. One of my favorites was when I bought a bat on another site and met the guy at the Farm and Fleet in town. I told him I what I'd be driving, he told me he'd be driving a white Crown Vic. Sure enough, he showed up and he was an on duty state trooper, haha. Safest I've felt making a face to face deal.
Old September 26, 2014, 01:00 PM   #24
armoredman

That's awesome.
Old September 26, 2014, 01:05 PM   #25
Doyle

I've done MANY parking lot deals. However, in each case they were with a member of a state shooting or hunting forum. Being able to see a history of posts from a forum member gives you a good idea of who you are dealing with.