The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 28, 2001, 12:11 PM   #1
revolvergeek

Is anybody making a Black powder/percussion Remington pattern Derringer??
Old March 28, 2001, 04:54 PM   #2
Doc Hudson

To the best of my knowledge, no. There have been double barreled front loading derringers on the market, but I don't know if they still are.

Navy Arms used to sell a twist barreled .36 call two-shooter, but it was not much smaller than a .38 Snubby. It had imitation mother of pearl stocks and a blue/black barrel cluster. It looked like a three barreled pistol, but the center hole was for the screw holding the barrel to the reciever.

Some company marketed a brass side x side .36 cal withtow hammers and one trigger. Last time I saw one advertised it was something like $50.00 for a kit.

Both guns were smoothbored so they should make OK snake guns.

Doc Hudson
Old March 28, 2001, 08:57 PM   #3
Alex Johnson

If it's a single barrel derringer you want Dixie offers their excellent reproduction Lincoln derringer in kit or finished form. I would stay away from the twist barrels above mentioned, their not derringer size and they also lack something in really first rate quality, I've handled both. There are a couple screw barrel percussion pistols on the market and these are really nice, Cabelas has a nice one in our local store for $100 right now and it's a good value. If you want a Remington style over and under, American Derringer has many to choose from and some of those in the smaller calibers approach the size of the original Remingtons. Davis is even closer to the original size, but their quality is somewhat lacking.
Old March 29, 2001, 11:32 AM   #4
revolvergeek

Thanks Doc,

I had seen the over and under twist barrel, but I guess i don't remember a side by side .36 cal gun. Interesting. I might have to look around for one of those. I don't know that i would even shoot it that much. I was thinking of something to add to my cowbyb gear that was a little more traditional looking that the Davis and cheaper than the ADC.
Old March 29, 2001, 12:01 PM   #5
revolvergeek

Thanks Alex, I will look into the little Dixie kit. I really want at double barrel, but it looks like i either buy a Davis and don't shoot it much or save up my coins and get one of the big ADCs. A number 1 ADC in .44mag might be fun.... :-)

Have to go see if they have a website.
Old March 29, 2001, 03:54 PM   #6
Alex Johnson

We had an American Derringer in 44 magnum which was pretty interesting. Never put a 44 magnum threw it, but shot a lot of downloaded 44 specials. The neatest thing about the 44 magnum was the set of instructions that came with it, the factory honestly recommended wearing a football helmet and super heavy leather gloves when firing a full 44 magnum load in it. I have shot the 45 acp American Derringer with issue GI Hardball loads and that is more than a handfull, but probably not nearly as bad as the 44 magnum would be.
Old March 29, 2001, 04:23 PM   #7
revolvergeek

A football helmet huh? Well, I guess it would have to be Dallas Cowboys ? :-)

Very interesting. The only ADC guns that i ever shot was a #1 in .410 and one of the Double Action guns in .357. The .410 was rather mild i thought, but the Double action almost brought tears to my eys, and i shoot a 640-1 .357mag a LOT.

I fear the recoil from the #1 would be horrible with .44mags, but I was thinking of doing what you did and download some .44spls. Maybe a 300 LFN at 600fps???? Well, ok, maybe it is not sooo light, but it would be interesting to watch it float along like a big lead bumblebee and then knock hell out of a pepper-popper!!