The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 5, 2010, 03:19 PM   #1
the blur

Spotting scope tripod

I have decided on the:
Konus Spotting Scope 20-60x 100mm

Can anyone recommend a tripod ?
I'm thinking a full hieght, because the bench tripod is very limited at my local range, and I figure the full stand is more verstile.

any suggestions ?

any comments on full height or table top tripods ?
Old October 5, 2010, 03:38 PM   #2
Pahoo

Quote:
I figure the full stand is more verstile.
Not only more versitile but stabile on higher magnification. There are many choices from just a good camera tripod to a sturdier serveyor's tripod. Won't be surprised if you wind up with two. I converted my surveyor type tri-pod that I got at Home Depot. Not all that handy but once you set it up, it stays and not easily knocked over. Mu lighter one is an old camera style and it's fairly heavy. Another fella I know, uses his telescope tripod. I do not think you will lack choices.

Be Safe !!!
Old October 5, 2010, 04:03 PM   #3
Double Naught Spy

I have a big Swarovski and got tired of trying various tripods. If you are planning on using your spotting scope for the range and trying to see tiny holes at long ranges, I think you may be much more satisfied placing it atop sandbags. If you are going in the field and wanting to watch nature, spot game, and the like, then a good camera tripod would be your best bet.
Old October 5, 2010, 04:25 PM   #4
RWBlue01

I have access to several because of connections to photography.

I really like the Manfrotto, but it is probably overkill for what you are looking for. Well, maybe not. Look at their consumer grade products.

Shop at www.bhphotovideo.com, but try to look locally before you buy.

Interesting enough the tripod I use most was made in the late 1970. It is good for small cameras, my spotting scope, but not heavy enough for the big cameras.

I would suggest you stay away from the desktop Manfrotto and the monopods which opens up with 3 small legs. These do not work with spotting scope weights.
Old October 5, 2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Rifleman1776

I have a Freeland bench top/bench rest tripod. Supposedly one of the finest on the market, fine tune adjustments and the works. Hasn't been out of the case in decades. I use an old professional camera tripod instead.
FWIW, my scope is a 15X60 Redfield. Love it, excellent scope. Only downside is it keeps getting pulled off my targets by others who really want to be able to see their targets.
Old October 5, 2010, 06:11 PM   #6
e4for2

20-60X80 Konus sport

can't see much at 100 yds,looking for 223 holes,,suggest getting splatter targets !!!
Old October 5, 2010, 06:29 PM   #7
10-96

Sometimes it kinda slow to open, but take a peek here: http://www.champchoice.com/cat-Scope_Stands-604.aspx These are quite heavy duty and durable- and a whole lot less plastic and aluminum parts. Heck, they are a really old idea with very few parts anyhow.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old October 5, 2010, 07:12 PM   #8
wild willy

You can get a used Bogen 3221 or 3021 tripod for $100 or so on E bay A manfrotto 128rc head will be around $90. I used cheap $50 tripods for years a better one makes a world of differance. If you check around you might find a new Manfrotto 055 tripod and 128 head for a little over $200
Old October 5, 2010, 07:47 PM   #9
RWBlue01

Quote:
Sometimes it kinda slow to open, but take a peek here: http://www.champchoice.com/cat-Scope_Stands-604.aspx These are quite heavy duty and durable- and a whole lot less plastic and aluminum parts. Heck, they are a really old idea with very few parts anyhow.
If the only thing you want to do is have a spotting scope on the range, this is the way to go.

If you are planning on using this on a non-flat range (spotting animals), they don't work well.