The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 20, 2013, 03:11 AM   #26
Garycw

Guns in one's collection that have yet to be tested/fired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto5 View Post
About a year ago, I picked up a Henry lever action .22 that I'm keeping for my grandson when he gets a little older. Cleaned it but haven't shot it.
I guess some people want to keep that new car smell.. But
I have a gun my gramps shot for years, then have my dad which he shot for years. Now I have it and it means so much more to me because of that
Old July 20, 2013, 03:26 AM   #27
TennJed

Guns in one's collection that have yet to be tested/fired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garycw View Post
I guess some people want to keep that new car smell.. But
I have a gun my gramps shot for years, then have my dad which he shot for years. Now I have it and it means so much more to me because of that
Why not do both. My father in law bought each of his 4 grandchildren a really nice gun right after they were born. He put them up and they are not to be shot until the grandchildren are old enough to shoot them themselves. He has a ton more that he shoots regularly. Those will eventually be passed down to the grandkids also. Best of both worlds
Old July 20, 2013, 06:01 AM   #28
CajunBass

I do it all the time. Right now I've only got two that I've never fired, but I've had several I've bought, kept for a time, never fired and sold. I've had even more than I just loaded, stepped out back, fired a few rounds into the side of the hill to make sure they work, and never shot again. Sure, I fired it, but I didn't really "shoot" it.

I don't have to shoot a gun to enjoy it. For me, the hunt for it, even if I didn't know I was looking for it, is the big thing.
John 3:16 (NKJV)

Last edited by CajunBass; July 20, 2013 at 06:08 AM.
Old July 20, 2013, 09:06 AM   #29
LewSchiller

Quote:
I don't have to shoot a gun to enjoy it. For me, the hunt for it, even if I didn't know I was looking for it, is the big thing.
I totally understand this.
Thing is - I've never hunted for food - just stuff. Must be some perversion of the Basic Human Operating System, probably brought on by flouride....or something
Old July 20, 2013, 02:04 PM   #30
shaunpain

I just recently got around to firing a few guns I've acquired but never had a chance to shoot. A Hi-Power that was new to me for only a week or so which worked fine. Then a cheap Cobra FS380 my buddy wanted to get rid of and I figured could be trading fodder down the road which I'd had for about 2-3 months. About what expected; the extractor would reliably fail to pick up rounds resulting in a trigger getting pulled on a round too far away from the firing pin to ignite the primer, also forcing me to stab it out from the muzzle. Piece of junk. And then two .308 milsurps, a converted MAS 49/56 and an Ishapore 2A1, which I'd had for about a year each before firing. The MAS is either overgassed, or the victim of a Century clipping the recoil spring (I think the culprit) and a mag issue on the Ishy. Always pays to shoot those guns right away, that's what I say.
Old July 20, 2013, 07:26 PM   #31
Hawg

I went a month or so without firing my Sharp's paper cutter because I didn't have a mold for it. That's a huge record for me. Usually new guns are fired as soon as I get home with them. There's no such thing as a safe queen.
Old July 20, 2013, 07:56 PM   #32
Bluestarlizzard

Dad bought a Mosin Nagant last fall that's still packed with cosmiline.

He made several comments about "We need need to set aside a day and clean it out and shoot it together." which is correctly translated to "You should clean it up and get it ready for shooting."
*shrug* he bought the siaga 12 shortly after and got wrapped up in that. Turns out to be a good thing niether of us got to it. It's been really damp this year and we've had some rusting issues. Maybe when it drys out this fall I'll start scrapping off the gunk and find a rifle underneath.

I can appreciate not having time and, even more, setting something aside until you can make time to do it right.
Old July 21, 2013, 01:59 AM   #33
Jim243

Quote:
I am curious to know if this is a common practice among gun collectors.
Yes it is. This one's been here for 5 months now, it will go out for testing Monday.

Jim

Old July 21, 2013, 01:59 PM   #34
dgludwig

Quote:
I have many that I haven't gotten around to yet myself.
Same here-and I always feel a little "guilty" about my as yet unfired inventory as I'm not a "collector" per se, and all will be shot eventually. I guess I've just been "too busy" to shoot my latest firearm acquisitions even though I've been retired for years.

Firearms purchased that are intended for self-defense are fired asap to determine reliability and shot placement before being put to use, while others languish in the safe awaiting their "turn".
Old July 21, 2013, 08:19 PM   #35
TomInLa

I don't believe in keeping safe queens either, but time/schedule limitations often prevent me going to the range. I shoot for fun, but buying/having them is fun and kinda comforting as well. I have quite a few new ones I have not shot a round through...yet. But all will eventually get fired plenty. The current list in order of acquisition is a Sig 1911-22, SA XD(M) 4.5" in .45ACP, Beretta PX4 Storm Full Size .40S&W, Browning Buckmark RX Pro Target, and bought just this weekend a SA 1911 Range Officer and a Kimber 1911 TLE II Stainless. There are just so many I want!!! I sell very few, but every now and then one just does not agree with me, like the glocks I've tried to like and the S&W M&P's also..Just not comfortable for me to shoot. The only thing I never ever sell is a 1911.
Old July 21, 2013, 11:07 PM   #36
barnbwt

I haven't shot my MAS 1873 or No. 3 Smythe & Weston (it's a Belgian clone), but that has more to do with their hand-grenade-ability than anything (light BP loads are probably safe, I just need to load some up)

I haven't shot my '76 Ithaca M37 police trade-in yet, but that gun's in the midst of a massively ambitious bubba project, so it can be forgiven.

I did make a point of shooting my Steyr M95 before ripping the barrel off for its 50 Alaskan conversion, but I already knew what a 12ga is like (and that the Ithaca would hurt as it was configured )

TCB
Old July 22, 2013, 04:11 PM   #37
pete2

I try get to the range the same day or at latest the next day. I can't bear to wait. Bought a muzzle loader one time. It took about a week to shoot it, almost drove me crazy.
Old July 23, 2013, 03:30 AM   #38
Tejicano

Since I am currently living overseas I simply have no chance to shoot until I am home in the US. But I still purchase a number of guns while I am home and even have a half dozen AK kits which I still need to put together.

So currently I have a few dozen guns - mostly NIB but some completed builds - which have never been shot. I look forward to the day when I do have time for this but for now I will just have to wait.
Old July 23, 2013, 06:17 AM   #39
grizz223

Out of my almost 100 guns I only have one that I have not fired. It's a type 99arisaka. The only reason I have not fired it is the leaf spring that holds the rear sight is broken. I have a new leaf spring for it but have not fixed it yet.
Old July 23, 2013, 07:03 AM   #40
Dashunde

I have a one year old house and a one year old kid... having enough free time or money to buy up guns at good prices "just because" is a distant memory.

All of my existing guns are finally starting to show some wear...
Old July 23, 2013, 12:17 PM   #41
Tom68

I have one that fits the OP's category, a Spanish M1916 carbine that I picked up just prior to this deployment. I had enough time to get the headspace checked, but that was it (I don't care to fire old milsurps without someone smarter than me giving it a once-over). I'll get home during deer season, so the 1916'll probably have to wait until spring.

the only other gun I have that I have never fired belonged to my grandfather; it was his first gun, an H&R single barrel 12 ga that I'm guessing was manufactured somewhere around 1920. It is currently inop, but even if I got it fixed I'd never fire it, as that was the condition under which my grandmother gave it to me so many years ago: even back in the 80s, she thought it wasn't in good enough shape to shoot.

still, I have at least 10 guns in the safe that haven't been fired in 3 or more years...but I can't see letting any of them go.
Old July 24, 2013, 04:07 PM   #42
jad0110

I've never fired my Vz.82, which I bought over a year ago. I just haven't had time. Also, I realized the other day when looking at my shooting log that I haven't fired my S&W Model 14 in over 5 years!

How time flies when you become a parent!
Old July 24, 2013, 04:47 PM   #43
aarondhgraham

None unfired, some rarely fired,,,

I have two SAA clones that I haven't fired,,,
Since their first outing right after I purchased them.

My alibi is that I purchased them thinking I wanted to get back into cowboy action shooting,,,
Since I since decided that I didn't want to do that anymore,,,
They sit in my cabinet and reside in well oiled slumber.

Actually now that I think about it,,,
The guns did see one more range outing,,,
A friend I took shooting asked if I had a cowboy revolver,,,
I shot the 5.5" Dakota and he used the 6.5" J.P. Sauer & Sohns shooter.

I paid $125 apiece for them from a good friend,,,
I'll keep them around even though I could triple my money on them today.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old July 25, 2013, 01:03 AM   #44
FrankenMauser

This (1993) Super Blackhawk had a hard life, and was legitimately worn out.

I sent it to Ruger for a repair estimate last November. In January, I got it back ...as what is essentially a new revolver built around my old frame.

Ruger didn't charge me a dime, did all the work I listed in the estimate request, and then went well beyond the list...
-Replaced barrel and front sight.
-Replaced cylinder.
-Replaced base pin.
-Replaced rear sight.
-Replaced ejector shroud (with steel).
-Replaced hammer (for an undocumented trigger job).
-Replaced locking pawl.
-Replaced all hardware (every pin, every screw).
-Replaced all springs.
-Full refinish and re-blue.

The target they sent back with the revolver showed a ~0.6" 15-yard 6-shot group.

Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to shoot it. It just sits in the safe, aching for that "first shot of the rest of its life".

Old July 25, 2013, 09:11 PM   #45
grizz223

Wow FrakenMauser
That is truly customer service!!!!
Old July 27, 2013, 12:14 PM   #46
Grimlok

I have a Stag model 6 that is almost 5 years old and never been fired. It needs optics and I just can't decide what to put on it. Also have a 10/22 that I bought in April. And another .22 rifle I purchased in March that also requires optics. Someday.... /shrug
Old July 28, 2013, 12:46 PM   #47
S&W-Keeper

I have a 4" model 27, and a 5" model 25 in .45Colt Mountain Ram edition.
Old July 28, 2013, 01:43 PM   #48
4V50 Gary
Staff

Ruger rebuilt that gun for FREE! Terrific service.
Old July 28, 2013, 06:54 PM   #49
Stevie-Ray

I have 3 in my safe that have never been fired by me. All were provided me by a very good friend. He was like a second father to me. A Winchester 94 in .30-30, a DWM Luger, Captured Enemy Equipment, and a Ruger 10/22 that has been converted into a bullpup. Just haven't had the time or opportunity in the last year or so.
Old July 28, 2013, 07:49 PM   #50
velillen

Re: Guns in one's collection that have yet to be tested/fired...

I have a couple. Most will be shot by the end of summer and a couple night be longer.

Mosin 91/30. Nothing special just haven't had time

Russian sks- bought by my dad for me (and another for my brother) in 89-91 time frame. Sat in a closet since being bought and I just got it this summer.

Mossberg 500 again nothing special just haven't had time

Ruger 10/22 with wood stock...bought as a project gun but decided I might just keep it for my neice.

Colt 1903 25acp (I think) shot this once like 20 years ago and been in my dads safe ever since. Hoping to acquire it lol

Colt revolver in 32...acp? Was my grandfather's and hasn't been shot in 30 years. Had a stuck bullet at one point. It's in rough shape though so need a gunsmith to check it out first.

2 m1 garands....should show up in another week or two! One will be a safe queen and the other a shooter...most excited to shoot this rifle out of the above.