The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 26, 2012, 04:21 PM   #1
hoytinak

Mossberg 500/Maverick 88 parts interchange?

Does the Mossberg 500 and Maverick 88 use the same "action slide tube assembly"?

I've decided since I can't find the 20" barrel/8rd mag tube for my 500, I'm just gonna buy a complete shotgun with the barrel/mag tube I want and swap parts. I would like to keep the wood stock/forend that's on my 500 and it's the older one so the action slide tube is a different size than the newer ones. The new 88 and 500 price different is about $100 and since I'm just wanting to swap out the parts and sell it, I'm thinking about going with the 88.
Old May 26, 2012, 09:30 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

The metal is pretty much the same, but the Model 88 has a plastic forearm that's molded on the tube assembly and is not removable.
This tube and molded-on forearm is made in Mexico for Mossberg.

The Model 500 has a removable forearm.
Old May 26, 2012, 09:43 PM   #3
hoytinak

Yeah, I knew the 88 was molded to the tube assembly, that why I was hoping the tube was the same as I'll just swap the whole tube, keeping the forearms themselves intact.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm an idiot....I was just thinking, all I want off the 88 is the mag tube and barrel. So just swapping them out with my 500 will work. It's been a long week, not sure what I was thinkin' earlier.

Last edited by hoytinak; May 26, 2012 at 11:01 PM.