The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 16, 2007, 06:52 PM   #1
Carryabigstick

SKS question

I have had a Yug SKS for almost a year. This last weekend I went shooting and had what I think is it's first reall problem. I was firing and then after two normal shots it just went click. So I pull out the round and see that the primer had been hit but didn't fire. So I keep shooting and it does this about every 3-4 shots. Sometimes multiple time in a row. Id this just a problem with the firing pin or is there something else which might be wrong? Also How would you go about fixing it?
Old June 16, 2007, 07:23 PM   #2
Don H

-Is this ammo the same lot that you've used before without problem?

-How long has it been since you disassembled the bolt and cleaned the firing pin channel?
Old June 16, 2007, 08:36 PM   #3
Carryabigstick

I have shot it before without problem. I did clean it a couple of weeks before I went shooting. However I didn't Lube it at all. Could this cause that kind of problem.
Old June 16, 2007, 09:12 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

If the primer is dented but the round didn't fire, I would suspect the ammo. If there is just a small mark on the primer, then the problem could be the gun, but it is hard to diagnose a problem from a distance. Lack of lubricant could cause that kind of problem if the bolt is not going fully into battery.

Jim
Old June 17, 2007, 09:04 AM   #5
Carryabigstick

Thanks alot Jim and Don. I'll make sure taht it is all lubed and clean. I am shooting wolf ammo which is typically pretty good.