The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 14, 2014, 02:09 PM   #1
HuntingLikeABadHabit

Interarms 30-06

I just found a guy selling an Interarms mark x 30-06 with newer simmons aetec glass on top for $450. Condition looks great from the pictures. I do not know a whole lot about these but I have read online and they seem to have mixed opinions unless you customize them. I have been in the market for a new 06, is this a good buy? Are they good firearms?
Old February 14, 2014, 02:21 PM   #2
PetahW

Welcome to TFL !

The Mark X is a fine rifle, basically a commercial Mauser 98 - long the Gold Standard of bolt action rifles.

IMO, the price is a tad high - but only because IDK anything about the scope.

AND, a .30-06 is NEVER a mistake. (to quote "Townsend Whelan )

Old February 14, 2014, 02:23 PM   #3
Paul B.

I've owned Mark X (Mark 10) rifles in the past. A .375 H&H Magnum and a .300 Winchester Magnum. Both rifle were very reliable andquite accurate. The .375 was a steady one inch rifle and the ..300 would average .75" with ammo it liked and it seemed to like everything I ran through it. I'm still kicking myself for selling them. Considering today's prices, $450 doesn't seem to be too out of line. Your choice though.
Paul B.
Old February 14, 2014, 06:39 PM   #4
jmr40

You won't find a CRF rifle of that quality for anywhere near $450. Those used to be pretty inexpensive and $450 does seem high for those of us who can remember when you could get one for 1/2 that not too long ago. I paid $175 new for the 1st one I ever owned back in the 80's. They are a little crudely finished and the actions can be a little rough out of the box, but they are noted for being tough as nails, very reliable and plenty accurate for most hunting.

An awful lot of them were used by gunsmiths for custom builds, especially for a no nonsense reliable dangerous game rifle. They were chosen because they were inexpensive, but reliable.

Not being imported right now and that may be why they are going up in price.

On the other hand, there are an awful lot of brand new rifles selling new for $350-$450 that probably will be more accurate. Not with the same long term quality though.
Old February 14, 2014, 07:44 PM   #5
Doyle

Quote:
IMO, the price is a tad high - but only because IDK anything about the scope.
Ordinarily, I wouldn't say anything good about Simmons scopes. The Aetec is the exception. Those are fairly decent scopes.
Old February 14, 2014, 09:49 PM   #6
HuntingLikeABadHabit

Thanks for all of the info. I am gonna try to work out a deal with this guy and add it to the collection. Who knows, it may turn into my go to rifle. Then again, it may end up being the start of a beautiful build.
Old February 14, 2014, 10:31 PM   #7
taylorce1

Quote:
Not being imported right now and that may be why they are going up in price.
They are still being imported, just not with the Interarms Mark X name. The rifle has went through several name changes over the years as the importers of the rifle changed. After Interarms the importer was Charles Daly, and then Remington. When Remington dropped the M798 from the lineup, Zastava the maker of the rifles decided to start importing the rifles themselves.

You can still buy a new Zastava M70 for around the same price as your used rifle if you look around. However the fit and finish on the Interarms will be better than Zastava in most cases. I like the shape of the rifle stock a little better than the rollover monte carlo style on the newer Zastava's as well.

Aetc scopes had a reputation of being durable and reliable scopes. However, Simmons no longer makes the scope, and if it breaks you'll be buying something else. If it isn't broke don't fix it, and you'll have a serviceable rifle scope to hunt with .

I agree that a .30-06 is never a bad thing as well!
Old February 17, 2014, 06:34 PM   #8
Doc TH

The Interarms MK X's are sturdy, reliable commercial Mauser action rifles. Very few people have had problems with them, and as has been stated above they have often been the starting platform for customized rifles. You will not see anything like them for the prices that they went for in the 1970's and 1980's.
Old February 17, 2014, 09:50 PM   #9
Scorch

If it wasn't for the scope that's on it I would say no, but the AETEC is a great scope (now defunct) and I would pay that much for that rifle with that scope. And FWIW, I buy Mausers of all varieties really cheap because people think they are just old clunker rifles.
Old February 18, 2014, 04:52 AM   #10
bamaranger

Serbian Mauser

As noted, the Mark x's are commercial versions of the Mauser, the only oddity being the way the safety is arranged.

I believe all of them were made in former Yugoslavia, in what is now Serbia....?

Personally I like the rifles....alot, and would rather have a blued steel, wood stocked Mark X (even the floor plate is steel on the models I've handled) than any of the synthetic, poly stocked price point rifles hitting the US market lately.

The Mark X's display some neat details too, checkering on the underside of the bolt handle, the steel floorplate, CRF, and they seem to slick up well with use.

I've got a mannlicher stocked variety that does not know that it is not supposed to be accurate with its wood all the way to the muzzle.
Old February 18, 2014, 11:05 PM   #11
RC20

If you like it get it.

And 30-06, still the ideal cartridge.
Old February 18, 2014, 11:43 PM   #12
hooligan1

I have one in the cabinet right now and have owned four more, I tell you right now I wish I had every one of those dudes. No foolin they are bullet proof actions that will stand the test of time, and with proper coaxin they can become super rifles man.
And the very best of them were Whitworth Mark X's.
Old February 20, 2014, 03:08 PM   #13
LOUD

The Best , nothing else comes close! Mausers are KING of bolt actions!!!!!!!! The pics attached are my baby , 30-06 interarms mark x mauser made in England ,set in a claro walnut stock and super accurate , tiny tiny groups over and over..........................................LOUD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 165.JPG (52.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 167.JPG (82.1 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by LOUD; February 20, 2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old February 20, 2014, 09:09 PM   #14
bamaranger

could be

Not sure, and somebody will set us straight I'm sure, but I don't think any of the Mark x's were "made" in England. Assembled in England perhaps....but I think all the Mark X actions were made in Yugo/Serbia. The Whitworth's may have got a Brit barrel and stock not sure, but somebody will know.

Never the less, great rifles.
Old February 20, 2014, 11:56 PM   #15
HuntingLikeABadHabit

Well, I ended up picking it up and hope to get some rounds through it this weekend. Have to say the action feels super slick and the bore looks pretty crisp so I don't think I am hurting any. Best part is a guy on Armslist was selling a Kodiak 30-06 that looks just short of great for $200 and it was right down the road. Picked that one up as well. Picked up 2 Mauser actions in one week. One for a good deal and one for a great deal! Thanks again for all of the info!
Old February 22, 2014, 10:16 PM   #16
Unlicensed Dremel

Quote:
AND, a .30-06 is NEVER a mistake.
But a Simmons nearly always is.
Old February 22, 2014, 10:39 PM   #17
LOUD

ok Bamaranger, I keep trying to load the pic but it has errors every time , the gun very plainly says Alexandria Virginia Interarms Manchester England. Don't know the details but that's what it says,

Old February 23, 2014, 07:30 AM   #18
hooligan1

Loud, rifles did come out of Serbia but went through England to Whitworworth were they were inspected and proofed as Whitworth Mark X's, My brother had a .270 action so stamped and it was a little nicer than my standard CZ.

Tags
30-06 , interarms