The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 8, 2014, 01:01 PM   #1
jcn

Winchester 1300 Practical Defender

Just received 1 of these I bought on Gun Broker for what I thought was a good price. After removing it from the carton about 30 minutes ago, the rear sight base has fallen off in my hand. Any DIY suggestions for re-attachment?

thanks,
Jeff
Old July 8, 2014, 06:29 PM   #2
marine6680

Post some pics.

How it attaches may help figure out a solution.

Some are simply screwed on. Though the thread is usually an odd size so you would need to order a compatible screw if you can not find the original.
Old July 8, 2014, 06:53 PM   #3
Dreaming100Straight

Was it bought new? If so, its the seller's or manufacturer's problem. You may figure it is simpler to fix yourself, but is this little problem indicative of more to come?

If you repair it. Use Loctite on the screw.
Old July 8, 2014, 06:54 PM   #4
jcn

marine 6680:

The base was soldered on. Took it to a gunsmith this afternoon and he said epoxy wouldn't do the trick. So now I have to get base re-soldered and the barrel refinished, a new factory rear sight assembly, and a new factory blade for the front ramp. Fortunately, the rest of the gun is superb, 'cause I just sunk an additional $200 on my "good deal".

thanks,
Jeff

p.s. : While you're trying out different kinds of buckshot, give the Spartan "00" low brass loads a whirl. They feed, fire, extract, and eject perfectly from both my SXP and 1200 Defenders. Oddly enough, they pattern quite well and consistently in both guns. It's almost impossible tell on paper which gun the shot came from.
Old July 8, 2014, 07:21 PM   #5
jcn

Dreaming100Straight:

I was replying to marine6680 when your reply showed up. It's a Gun Broker find and a model I always wanted. Well, actually I've always lusted after the wood stocked Camp Defender with the traditional blued finish, but I never see them for sale.

MGW has all the sight parts I needed and even the blued barrel from the Camp Defender! They don't, however, have the matte finish barrel anymore.

It's a shame really, because parts and labor are going to set me back $200 whereas the barrel with 1 Winchoke tube sold for $299.
Old July 9, 2014, 11:33 AM   #6
marine6680

Well... Hopefully it works out for you.
Old July 9, 2014, 12:10 PM   #7
jcn

It's no big deal, I'm just over-eager to get in some range time before turkey season.
Old July 9, 2014, 03:14 PM   #8
jmr40

When does turkey season start? Mid April around here and plenty of time.
Old July 9, 2014, 05:25 PM   #9
jcn

jmr40:

I know. It was my lame attempt at humor. I think I will try to find the best Foster slug/choke tube combo before modern gun season though. But again, there's still plenty of time for that.

I was just a little bummed about the gun needing repair right off the bat. But I put on my "big boy pants" and got over it!

Still, I'm really excited to finally have found one. I hope it never comes down to a 1 gun battery, but I think this one would be hard to beat with a selection of loads and Winchokes.

regards,
Jeff
Old July 24, 2014, 11:18 PM   #10
jcn

Just got the barrel back from the gunsmith today! The rear sight base was resoldered with a new rear sight assembly installed, a new front sight blade installed in the front base, and the barrel parkerized in a shade that's an unbelievably close match to the finish on the rest of the gun. Plus, all the parts are original Winchester pieces. Guess it's time to plunk down the plastic on-line and get some Win-Choke tubes headed this way.