The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 25, 2011, 10:49 PM   #1
jaughtman

Speaking of exit wounds.....

Ever see what an old-fashioned 30/30 150 grain soft point exit wound looks like when it totally goes through a deer from 50 yards? Soon as I get my camera hooked up to the internet you will.....LOL.

J
Old November 26, 2011, 07:21 AM   #2
mete

It all depends on bullet construction and impact velocity. Even a slow 45-70 can have excessive damage .Twice I had deer with a 2" entrance hole and 1" exit hole with factory 300 gr 45-70 !! I now use Nosler Partition !
Old November 26, 2011, 09:22 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've never worried about whether or not a bullet exits. All I care about is DRT, and so far, so good.

The Sierra 85-grain HPBT from my .243 tends to create a double-handful of mush in the heart/lung area, and rarely exits a deer. Coyotes? A whole 'nother country.

The worst exit wound I've ever seen was from a Sierra 165-grain HPBT on a 30-yard doe. I intended to break her neck but she took a step just as I touched off the trigger. Entry at the top of the near shoulder, exit through the leg joint on the off side. Blew out the entire bone, leaving a fist-sized cavity. An incredible amount of bleed-out.
Old November 26, 2011, 09:43 AM   #4
Crazy Carl

Hit a deer with a .30-30 150gr Remy Core-Lokt last week. Quartering away & a bit far back, but destroyed the liver & off-side lung. Left about a 3" exit wound, thru which copious amounts of blood & the majority of the liver leaked out.
Old November 26, 2011, 10:45 AM   #5
buck460XVR

Anyone that has hunted deer for more than a few years has seen many impressive exit wounds. They are not pretty, but a necessary evil of our sport. IMHO.....No real need to post a pic of another.
Old November 26, 2011, 11:04 AM   #6
WWWJD

Aye; my first deer (buck) didn't have an exit (almost did; bullet lodged just beneath the hide between a couple of ribs). My second was a much smaller doe, and the exit just above the off side shoulder was about 4" in diameter; pretty gnarly, but it didn't ruin my backstrap or shoulder. That was with a .308 155gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, which btw, I don't think I'll be using next year, because I found little bits of shrapnel in both carcasses. Leads me to believe that these bullets like to come apart. Maybe they all do; I don't know. This was my first year hunting.

NRA Endowment FTW
Old November 26, 2011, 01:21 PM   #7
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

No pictures and I wouldn't show it anyway. My brother has hit 2 deer in the back of the head from the rear with his 30-30 and the whole front half of the skull was the exit wound.

I know what my 32 Win spcl does with its 170 PP bullets and there is no way I want to get shot with either.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old November 26, 2011, 01:28 PM   #8
black mamba

Worst whitetail wound I ever saw was from a 12 ga. Foster type (regular, not sabot) slug at about 30 yards. It hit bone going in and blew a larger than fist sized hole out the off side ribs. Instant crash.
Old November 26, 2011, 10:21 PM   #9
BIG P

Had one this weekend,wanted some meat shot a spike deer @ 250yds.with a 26-06 115gr.B-tip.Never would of thought it would of blew the whole side of its face off.DRT but UGLY.
Old November 27, 2011, 07:32 AM   #10
thallub

Quote:
I've never worried about whether or not a bullet exits. All I care about is DRT, and so far, so good.
Same here. Most of my deer and hog hunting is done with a .50 inline muzzleloader. The vast majority of my kills are bang flops. Deer die lingering deaths because hunters rush the shot and shoot them in the guts. Then those same folks get on muzzleloader boards and complain that the bullet did not expand and/or did not leave an exit wound to aid in tracking.

No tracking needed when the bullet is put in the right place.
Old November 27, 2011, 09:37 AM   #11
Discern

I am all for shot placement. If you do a broadside, double lung shot, the amount of meat loss is minimal as the rib meat is thin. Watch for possible bone and/or bullet fragments if you hit a rib or other bones.

For those using Ballistic Tips or other hollow point point bullets in a rifle cartridge, rapid expansion is why they were created and bullet fragmentation is not uncommon.

I have never shot them, but I have read several posts where the Federal Fusion ammo has a small entry and exit hole on deer sized game shot from a deer rifle cartridge.