The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 13, 2010, 07:55 AM   #1
kx592

Helping a bud out...Ithica 37 model cleaning

I can field strip 500's and 870's and inertia's with my eyes closed but never touched a bottom eject shotgun and my buddy has a 70's model 37 that has never been cleaned in years. I would love to strip it with him to clean it. anyone have any online manuals or just a quick summary of the process and i can probably figure it out. thanks!
Old May 13, 2010, 09:14 AM   #2
Joat

Google is your friend
Try THIS Or THIS If they don't get you there, I have better instructions somewhere, I just have to find them.

Joat
Old May 13, 2010, 09:55 AM   #3
jaguarxk120

Make sure you have the proper fitting screwdrivers for the screw slots they are narrower than what you will find else where.
Old May 13, 2010, 11:37 AM   #4
oneounceload

and DON'T use your typical hardware store screwdrivers - hollow-ground gunsmith-type won't bugger the screws
Old May 13, 2010, 12:29 PM   #5
Joat

I wouldn't say that you can't bugger the screws using the right screwdriver. I'll admit it takes a lot more effort.

J
Old May 14, 2010, 08:55 PM   #6
banditt007

just glancing through.... seems like kind of a pain to break the thing down? What does everyone that owns these have to say about the cleaning/break down?

My winchester 1300 is a joke to break down, and the Remington 870's aren't bad at all. This Ithica seems to be a lot more intensive.
Old May 14, 2010, 09:23 PM   #7
jaguarxk120

If you take a hard look at the Ithaca 37 you will find that It took a craftsman to build it. People that were gun makers not gun assemblers.

The engineering that went into newer guns is for quick assembly with parts that came out of a punch press. Thats why some of todays offerings are a joke compared to what was made years ago.

By the way the 1200 and 1400 series of guns was a exercise in how cheap you can build a shootable gun. Only lately has that record been broken by some of the imported offshore stuff.
Old May 14, 2010, 09:53 PM   #8
Hog Buster

I own and use Ithaca Model 37s, and yes they’re a PIA to strip and clean. Thank God they don’t need it often. Most times a good spraying with solvent, followed with several blasts of compressed air does the trick. Barrel removed, stock up, so the crud can be washed and blown out.

If you just have to take it apart, have fun. There’s not enough words in my vocabulary for me to write the book it would take to explain how to strip it, but you are in luck. Joat is right, Google is your friend, his second link is about all you need to accomplish this feat. Again be careful with the screw heads, they’ll be very tight and can be marred easily. A word of advice, you may have to loosen the screws in the rear of the receiver in order to remove the stock. Enjoy....

Last edited by Hog Buster; May 14, 2010 at 09:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old May 15, 2010, 12:01 AM   #9
banditt007

jaguar, i agree that 1300 is all stamped metal, and i've had a few problems, the newest being failure to extract. The extractor is hanging up, as well as not having much spring tension. deburring/polishing and swapping springs had no effect. Its kind of a mystery i've had several people look at it, and they can't figure out why it wont work. I'm just going to buy a good used bolt assembly. It was my first gun so i have to keep it, but after other issues and now this, its staying as the informal clays gun and nothing beyond that......end rant. Lets keep it on topic.....
Old May 15, 2010, 09:10 AM   #10
jaguarxk120

Hog Buster is very right about they don't need it often. To put a time period in it I would venture to say about every 10-15 years. The action is protected because of bottom ejection. Basicly after a good internal cleaning, a good wipe down with a oiled rag on the metal surfaces should be good to go.
Old May 15, 2010, 10:35 AM   #11
Hog Buster

The time line for stripping and cleaning that jaguarxk120 states is probably correct.

I have one purchased in the early 60s and it has had 50 to 60 thousand rounds ran thru it and only been stripped down twice. I also have one that was purchased in the 80s that has maybe 20,000 rounds thru it and has never been stripped down. I’ve never had a failure to fire from any of my Ithacas and never any malfunctions.

Unlike most of the trash on the market today these guns were made to last. I just hope that the new version of the Model 37 is as good as the old. If someone out there has a new Model 37 I’d like to know what they think.
Old May 15, 2010, 12:14 PM   #12
jaguarxk120

One thing we failed to mention is the barrel needs a regular cleaning though.
Old May 15, 2010, 08:22 PM   #13
kozak6

That's true of all shotguns, though, and the Ithaca's barrel is easily removed if you wish to clean from the breech end.
Old May 28, 2010, 03:13 PM   #14
dgludwig

Quote:
Hog Buster is very right about they don't need it often. To put a time period in it I would venture to say about every 10-15 years.
That's good news! At my age, I'll probably never have to clean mine ever again.
Old May 28, 2010, 03:48 PM   #15
DPris
Member Emeritus

Not all of the new Ithacas allow barrel removal. The lower-end Defense model has a fixed barrel.
Denis