The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 4, 2000, 12:53 AM   #1
BadMedicine

How many of you TFLers live/hunt in Alaska? I have a little list here that I've jotted down from different posts and things people have said, so I'm sure of about 5 (me included.) Where in Alaska do you live? Any in the Valdez area? I just wanted to kind of get a list so I could have certain people to address ques to. Alot of hunting techniques in the states don't excactly have a place up here. BM.
Old October 4, 2000, 07:40 PM   #2
Field-dressed

Badmedicine,
Cordova, just far enough from Valdez. I'm the area game biologist for Prince William Sound on down to Icy Bay (Unit 6), be delighted to help you plan a hunt in my neck of the woods.

------------------
RKBA!
Old October 5, 2000, 02:02 AM   #3
BadMedicine

Actually my brother lives in Valdez, and this spring we're going on a hunt out on one of the islands. We haven't picked out which yet, or even set a date, but probably sometime in january because:
A. most bears will be hibernating.
b. you can shoot buck or doe.
c. the snow should have pushed them to lower elevations by then, maybe even a few on the beach.
Hopefully we can get some. A guy my brother knows has a boat, and says if we pay for the gas, he'll take a week of leave, and take us out there I can't wait to have some venison in the freezer, haven't had any in a few years
Old October 5, 2000, 03:13 AM   #4
Field-dressed

Hey Man, I agree to all of the above regarding deer and bear, but the season closes Dec. 31! You might plan for a wee bit earlier...
Nothing funner than a winter deer hunt in the Sound, if the weather doesn't kick your a$$. I had a friend go out a couple years ago during that bad winter, only got out to hunt a few hours between gales but they still picked up a few deer in the timber. Always a gamble. Good luck!

------------------
RKBA!
Old October 5, 2000, 04:40 PM   #5
BadMedicine

I just checked the regs...OOPS! hehe, guess we'll go a bit earlier I dunno if I'm gonna be able to swing a week before december though. Schools got me wrapped up for a few mores months. Maybe I'll be able to fit a long weekend in anyhow.
Old October 5, 2000, 06:22 PM   #6
Field-dressed

Argh, I hated when school got in the way of hunting. You owe yourself at least a long weekend. MMMmm, venison.