The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 5, 2011, 09:02 PM   #1
Smaggy Box

Tipping & Lawden 12 Bore

Hey, I posted this over on The High Road, and haven't had much luck.

"Hey, first time posting, so forgive me if this is in the wrong area/format!

So, as of today, I became the proud owner of a Tipping and Lawden 12 bore black powder shotgun (thanks to a very well (or poorly!) placed $5 bid on gunbroker). While I know a fair amount about black powder shooting, I'll freely admit, I'm no expert on black powder shotguns.

Apparently, this firearm has a very sordid past including, extreme misuse and mishandling, leading it into the poor condition it is now in (see pictures)
Honestly, I'm not all that interested in fully restoring the gun to operable condition; I purchased it to practice restoration techniques on what's left of the stock, and frankly have little interest in shooting a Damascus-barreled fouling gun that uses the old brass shot shells (frankly, I like my face, it's how I make my money(haha)).

However, at some point, I would like to turn the gun into a wall-hanger.

Are there any sources known for finding Tipping & Lawden parts? From my understanding, the company was acquired by Webley in 1887, making it extremely difficult to track anyone down who might know where surplus parts still remain. However, I'd at least like to acquire a set of side plates and hammers for it.

Any and all help is much appreciated (as well as offers to take the $5 hunk off of my hands once I've practiced some medicine on it!).

Thanks,
Nixon"

Hopefully, I'll do better here!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pix066617718.jpg (74.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg pix368693493.jpg (84.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg pix098327108.jpg (68.1 KB, 21 views)
Old December 5, 2011, 09:18 PM   #2
Hawg

Whacha take for the triggers?
Old December 6, 2011, 08:53 AM   #3
Smaggy Box

Not sure yet, haha, still waiting on the gun to be shipped.

Apparently, in the state of California, if the gun fires a cartridge of any kind, it needs to be shipped to a FFL...

PM me if you have something in mind!

Tags
kaeding , lawden , liddle , tipping