The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 22, 2010, 12:07 PM   #1
davlandrum

Need info - Eastern Montana

Got a call out of the blue last night about a possible hunting trip to eastern Montana - friend of a friend type deal.

I am assuming that side of the state would be deer, no elk. (and this would be next year).

Anyone have any experience in that area? I am concerned about public land access, terrain, species, etc. It is not even decided if this would be a bow hunting trip or rifle - we just don't have enough info to try and make a decision.

The friend of a friend aspect sounds like we would have a place to sleep and that is about it - not necessarily a patch of private land.

I am hoping the collective wisdom of TFL can help me out.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old December 22, 2010, 02:37 PM   #2
Scorch

Dave-
Good idea. I'll meet you there.

Just kidding, but that area is really good to hunt. Eastern Montana and western South Dakota have the Black Hills, some of the best all-around hunting in the country. Eastern Montana and western North Dakota have good hunting too, gently rolling hills. Deer, antelope, turkey, Hungarian partridge, quail, black bear, and yes, even elk. Access is pretty good with the private land access programs put in place over the last 10 years, but having some private land to call home is nice.

For a first trip, I would rifle hunt, use the trip as a scouting trip for bowhunting.

If the "friend of a friend" deal doesn't pan out, try Napier Lodge.
Old December 22, 2010, 02:51 PM   #3
nathaniel

Along the boarder of ND and Montana its mostly buttes and valleys, the further west you go it turns into rolling hills then back to mountains and valleys. The most common big game animals in that area are whitetails in the bottoms and along rivers and streams, mulies, big horns (mainly starting in the foothills and buttes not in the flats) moose, and elk. There is a TON of BLM land in montana you can litterally walk for days and still be on public land. My grandpa called the state and ordered a map showing all the public land and private land of the areas he usually hunts, Id suggest doing this if your serious about hunting there. They changed laws in Montana so that now outfitters cant get tags their customers have to draw tags like everyone else. They also raised the price of some of their tags. The combination elk/deer tag used to be around $600 now its around $900, we will be going somewhere else to hunt elk from now on.
Old December 23, 2010, 03:19 AM   #4
James H

No one wants to give away secret hunt areas, but I'll give you a hint since I don't hunt these areas myself. Check out Custer National Forest and the BLM land along 212 between Ashland, Mt and the WY border. I've seen whitetails, mulies, and elk the past two summers. Ekalaka might be a good temporary base camp.
Old December 23, 2010, 11:45 AM   #5
davlandrum

Scorch - if I was more directly involved in the plan, I would invite you along. I think we would get along great.

James - what??!!?? You don't want to tell me where I can go get the monster of a lifetime!!! LOL

All - thanks for the help. My main hunting partner and I have been vaguely thinking about doing an out-of-state hunt for awhile. We were thinking more of a pack in elk trip, but this might fit the bill.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old January 12, 2011, 10:35 PM   #6
plattski

Dave I don't post here much but I'm an old Lane County boy and happy to help another out. I hunt eastern Montana every year for deer and antelope and with Ekalaka/Broadus/Alzada James H has put you in a spot that is excellent hunting. In about August you can call fish wildlife parks in Miles City to request block management guides, which are listings of private ranches that allow public hunters for free. Out in region 7 (Powder River, Fallon, Custer and Carter counties) there are a lot of great block management opportunities as well as extensive BLM and Custer national forest lands to hunt. We hunt whitetails, mule deer, antelope and turkeys plus there are a lot of sharp tailed grouse, ducks and geese depending on how the weather has played out. We don't hunt elk in the area (special draw for bulls) but I've seen big ones once or twice. Overall a hunter's paradise. Good luck and maybe I'll see you out there.
Old January 13, 2011, 11:27 AM   #7
davlandrum

Thanks for the help!