The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 30, 2006, 12:15 PM   #51
Quickdraw Limpsalot

Quote:
The Mossberg is cheap, and it works. But to me, it is like steamed rice. It fills you up, but if you can afford it, why not get something better.
Because, to be frank about it, some folks prefer steamed rice to the alternatives.
Old April 30, 2006, 02:24 PM   #52
BobK

Did someone say add-ons! I love mine.
Old May 8, 2006, 02:07 AM   #53
miscusi

What is a good site to see a complete line of add ons for the 870 ?
Old May 8, 2006, 04:16 PM   #54
Dfariswheel

Brownell's Gunsmith Supply.

They carry above everything that's fit to have, from stocks, to extensions, to sights, to cleaning gear, to gunsmith manuals, to tools.

Order anything, and they'll send you a free catalog, which is the best "gun stuff" catalog in the world.

http://www.brownells.com/
Old May 8, 2006, 05:11 PM   #55
gunslinger1911ACP

BobK - can you describe what you have there in your picture?
Old May 8, 2006, 06:56 PM   #56
gunslinger555

used the remmy and win both are great but i love my 870! (express combo) just got it thursday and love it
Old May 8, 2006, 07:14 PM   #57
Death from Afar

Well, put it like this. Last time I went out night shooting my little 870 fired maybe 750 rds in 24 hours without a clean. It didnt jam once, cept when someone loaded a round in round the wrong way. They dont work so well, then.
Old May 10, 2006, 12:45 PM   #58
Casp_A

I've had my 870, named "Alice" , for about a year now. I haven't kept track of how many rounds I've put through it but I use it pretty regularly, more than any of my other guns, and I've never cleaned it even once. It actually seems to shuck a little easier now than it did when it was new.

Having said that, my personal pick for the best fighting shotgun ever is the 8-shot variant of the Ithaca M37.
Old May 20, 2006, 08:37 PM   #59
trigger happy

I gave my Remington 870 to my little brother..

but I kept my Winchester 1300 Defender
Old May 21, 2006, 10:02 AM   #60
dfaugh

Mossberg, Winchester and Remington

I've never owned anything except Mossberg 500 variants, in 35 years of shooting, and I never had a problem with any, including some that were bought "well used" and I beat on them pretty hard. (I've shot the others though)

Having said that, I'm not sure there's aa arguable difference (except for price) between any of them. All are highly reliable, durable guns.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old May 31, 2006, 06:03 PM   #61
Pops114

Love the posts. I was wavering between a Mossy 500 & and 870 Express. Looks like I'll pony up for the Wingmaster now. Shucks. (no pun intended)
Old May 31, 2006, 07:01 PM   #62
trigger happy

does anyone ever regret buying the best ? (I still like my Winchester Defender though )
Old June 1, 2006, 12:31 AM   #63
maas

i still think the model 12 is the best and the 870 is runner up. but thats just my .02$

There's always one thing that makes Republicans look good on election day...........Democrats!
Old June 1, 2006, 01:50 PM   #64
johnsonrlp

Another way to look at it is how good is the 870 when compared to other guns (not pump shottys) especially for the price.
Old June 1, 2006, 03:29 PM   #65
Dfariswheel

That's sort of backward.
The 870 is the modern pumpgun all others are compared to.
Old June 1, 2006, 04:18 PM   #66
Ruger4570

870's are great, I have one,,, course Ithaca are great too,,, I got 3 of them.. all others are sorta wanna be's to me. No offence guys,, just my perverted opinion.
Old June 1, 2006, 07:58 PM   #67
Minator

Quote:
That said, I don't like how they now use more plastic and have that damn lock on the safety...I sure hope they don't cheapen the 870 further...or make it more politically correct.
Only 870 with any plastic on the trigger gaurd and with the lock which has now been discontinued on all new models is the express
If you want an old style heavy barrel (so thick you cant put a heatsheild on it unless you modify the sheild)with a parked finish metal controls top of the line feed assembly then the old 870 of the past that is carved out of a solid block of steel then you would be talking about the 870 police magnum which I couldnt make up my mind so i recently purchased 2 870p's one with wood furniture and one in synthetic the synthetic was $505 otd and the wood was about $565 there not cheap compared to the express and wingmaster but they are of a heavier construction then any other current brand and I have most of them including an old ithaca I got at the pawn shop for 65 bucks.
Old June 2, 2006, 05:49 PM   #68
hivel37

I have owned several 870's in past.

Now, it's just the one I bought yesterday.

It has spent it's lifetime bouncing around in a patrol car. Wish it could talk.

I'll clean it up this weekend, take it out next week and try a variety of ammo through it.

Hereafter, it will be in repose near my bedside.
Old June 2, 2006, 06:14 PM   #69
mathman

Quote:
Only 870 with any plastic on the trigger gaurd and with the lock which has now been discontinued on all new models is the express
I just bought a new express and it had the internal lock...
Old June 3, 2006, 01:13 AM   #70
Minator

whats your production date?

I read a letter someone got from customer service saying the lock was going to be discontinued.

Just because you pick something up still in the box or sealed in the bag with oil doesnt mean it was manufactered in 06. I just picked up a ruger GP-100 new in box still seale din the bag full of oil and it was made in 03 most gun shops order from suppliers not directly from the factory.
Old June 6, 2006, 12:47 PM   #71
hummelsander

I bought an 870 Wingmaster used. Payed a-like-new price for it. Looked like it had seen quite a bit of field use. Cleaned up just fine and is a great gun. It is nice and tight for a pump...a lot tighter than a new mossberg.
Old June 7, 2006, 12:03 AM   #72
FirstFreedom

I don't think that the 870 is actually BETTER than say, a Mossberg 500. But, since it is (a) equally good, which is to say very good, and (b) there are more aftermarket doodads/customizations than other brands, (c) LEOAs overwhelmingly prefer them (for whatever reason; probably mostly due to good price), and (d) they are famous for their many excellent rifles as well (unlike mossberg or winchester) they get a reputation that is more than the sum of the parts, and it's a vicious cycle / self-fulfilling prophecy kind of thing going. The rich get richer. Still, it's an excellent shotgun!
Old June 7, 2006, 02:07 PM   #73
Dfariswheel

Your reason "C" is wrong.
The 870P Police gun costs MORE than any other police pump shotgun.
The police do get better prices than "civilians" but then Mossberg also offers discounts to law enforcement.

Bottom line on this one is: You cannot make or sell a forged steel shotgun with heavier internals than you can make and sell a cast aluminum gun with stamped internals.
This is why the Mossberg "won" the government contract.
The sole deciding factory was price, and there was no way Remington could beat out Mossberg.

The police use the Remington because of it's 50 year history of standing up to the abusive treatment cops subject shotguns to, even though it costs more.
The Winchester 1300 also cost less than the 870, and after it's disastrous history in police use, no LE department of any size ever again bought the Winchester.

The reason more than 95% of all American law enforcement buy the 870 is it's the only gun yet developed that can stand up to the Night Watch version of "Hold my beer and watch this".
This is one case where quality and proven durability trumps price even to bureaucratic bean counters.

If you want to determine which is the more durable item, you put a few hundred thousand of them in the hands of cops for many years, then check the failure rate.
You can't argue with actual results.
The Mossberg 500 and the Winchester 1300 both failed in the "Real World" and LE refused to buy more of them.
The Mossberg 590 series is doing better, but the King of Reality is still the 870.
Old June 7, 2006, 08:58 PM   #74
DPris
Member Emeritus

Agree.
Denis
Old June 10, 2006, 10:31 PM   #75
djsmiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger1911ACP
BobK - can you describe what you have there in your picture?
i'll venture a guess.

Knoxx SpecOps Stock
TacStar Side Saddle
TacStar Fore end

like i said, thats just a guess.