The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 11, 2006, 03:58 PM   #26
nbkky71

You're right bp78. Any establishment where alcohol is sold and consumed is a no-no for concealed carry in NC.

If alcohol is sold, but NOT consumed then you're OK. That allows you to carry into an establishment, like a convenience store. Just makes sure that the business doesn't have any signage that prohibits guns on the premesis (like the local ABC stores!)

Good question about the wine tasting. I'd have to guess that it's not legal too since both requirements of sale & consumption are being met, even if it's only a weekly event. That would be a question for the attorney general to answer.

Isn't that Totally Wine on Harris Blvd? If so, I live right down the road!
Old January 11, 2006, 04:27 PM   #27
Wildalaska

Quote:
wild, violent crime rates after ccw are tallied over a 5 year period. Year one drops over 10%. For some reason year 2 jumps back around 5%. Then there is a steady drop, with most states averging 15% drop in violent crime over the 5 years.
Violent crime has dropped in NYC over a 30 year period, is that due to strict controls? Violent Crime has risen in Dallas and Houston is that due to CCW?

WildalwysmoreAlaska
Old January 11, 2006, 04:33 PM   #28
porkskin

total wine is on battleground in gso and on stratford in w-s. to all of you triad guys out there, do you all think the gun rack is the best place to buy guns in our area?
Old January 11, 2006, 04:42 PM   #29
Lieut96

Yes, NC does have some stupid restrictions, I could understand a restriction on being served alcohol, but not going out to eat at an Applebee's because they serve alcohol, that is stupid.

The other biggie is the restriction on any event or venue that charges an admission. Which means no to a movie where you may be coming out late at night to a dark parking lot.

That being said it is still worth it. I feel better having my weapon most of the time rather than none of the time.
Also as it accepted in most of the south it is good for travel. I have found the border states not to be as restrictive. Virginia for example while I can not keep my weapon concealed in a restaurant that services alcohol, all I have to do is expose my weapon, which this time of the year means removing my jacket.
Old January 11, 2006, 04:45 PM   #30
Lieut96

total wine is on battleground in gso and on stratford in w-s. to all of you triad guys out there, do you all think the gun rack is the best place to buy guns in our area?

I like Arrington's on Industrial, in Greensboro. With the discount a new Glock is less than $400.00
Old January 11, 2006, 05:30 PM   #31
boing

Quote:
boing: NC state law stipulates that you can't carry where alcohol is sold and consumed, not merely served.
Well, clearly, if it's being served to you, it's for immediate consumption. The local supermarket "sells" Rice Krispies, but they don't "serve" Rice Krispies.

And if Urban Burrito gave away free beer to anyone who sat at a table, I doubt that would be considered outside the purview of the statutory "sold and consumed" language, either.
Old January 11, 2006, 05:34 PM   #32
parrothead2581

Porkskin,
I love the Gun Rack. I picked up my new Colt 1991 Government .45 in matte blue from there on December 28 for about 705 (that's with tax). I thought that was a pretty good deal. I called today asking about the Combat Commander model in stainless steel, 769 + tax. I'm wondering if it's worth getting that or the SS version of the Government. Good to hear from the Triad guys! Anyone shoot at Caliber's indoor range?
Old January 11, 2006, 06:08 PM   #33
18DAI

I shoot at Calibers about once a week,Carl has a real nice place there. Regards 18DAI.
Old January 11, 2006, 06:11 PM   #34
parrothead2581

I love the place. I'm hoping to be able to take the CCW class Saturday the 21st.
Old January 11, 2006, 06:41 PM   #35
geneinnc

Nc Cch

How's this for a grey area. I have to use a PO Box for mail. I use a rural PO in the same building with my drug store.

For all you NC guys I'm in Hickory, I "shoot" (more like killing time) at Bullseye in Vale. Hickory Skeet Club, Catawba Valley Wildlife, Morganton Skeet Range, Gastonia Skeet Range,Springs Road Sporting & Shooting (when they aren't bankrupt), Shooters Express, Boone & Wilkesboro IDPA on occassion when I'm up to it.

Guys, IMO CCH covers your butt in the car. Each & every district has it's own
"version" of legal carry in a car. If I go to town, I can be stopped by Hickory PD (no comment), Brookford PD, Catawba County Sherrifs, Highway Patrol, and now DOT. Hand them the card when they ask for it, and your covered, no matter where you have your hangun stored. Every where else is a bonus.

I'm covered when I go to the grocery store, and shopping. If they have the no carry sign up, and it's a store that meets the criteria for legal carry, I ask for the manager and usually ask them to put whatever I went to buy back on the shelf, as I don't do business with anti gun stores. I do explain GRNC will supply tem with signs stating Concealed Carry by Licensed Persons ONLY.

I talked to Valley Hills Mall & Refuse to do business with those (*@()@_s
I then called every store and told them. Sears HQ called me back & said they WELCOME our business, and as they are not in the Mall proper, Valley Hills can mind their own business.

I would encourage ANYONE accosted in the parking lot of a NO CARRY business retain a lawyer the next day. If they have to pay out a few civil suits, heads turn.

Thanks,

Gene
Old January 11, 2006, 06:46 PM   #36
cavediver27

Or better yet, get a Florida CC permit and then you have one that's good in 30 other states including NC. That's what I did!
Old January 11, 2006, 07:00 PM   #37
Doug.38PR

Quote:
Can't carry in any establishment that serves alcohol. Who woulda thought Urban Burrito sells beer? Oops!
Wow! Sounds like that law needs amending. In Texas and Louisiana you can't carry in businesses that make over 51% of their business on alcohol. In other words you can't carry in Bars and pubs but you can carry in places like Chilis and Applebees that have bars in them but as long as you are not drinking at the bar you are free to come and go with your gun.
Old January 11, 2006, 07:05 PM   #38
18DAI

Arringtons Police Supply has the best deals ,and usually the best selection. Greensboro Gun Works on HWY 68 is an out of the way little known spot where you can get some real gems at fair prices on a fairly regular basis. Southern Firearms on Market St. is again selling used guns ,and lately has had a few nice pieces but I think they ask top dollar for what they have. My favorite place to buy ,and especially do special orders is Archdale Guns and Ammo in Archdale NC. It's about a 25 min ride from Calibers range. The guys in there are shooters and enthusiasts who know what they are talking about. If they don't have it, and you want it, they will get it. They treat LEO's really well too. Don't forget the Greensboro Gunshow on the 28th. For the last 10 years it's pretty much been a Fake Sword and Jerky show ,but last Augusts edition was the best they have had. I hope it's at least half as good. Regards 18DAI.
Old January 11, 2006, 07:05 PM   #39
geneinnc

years ago they used to charge you for non resident CCH in Florida. You are on to something. Virtually the entire Southest enables you to use your permit, but using their rules.
Old January 11, 2006, 07:15 PM   #40
parrothead2581

18DAI,
I've been meaning to go to Arrington's but that side of town can make me cringe, especially one the sun goes down. I've had more than one person recommend Archdale's and called to get prices from them...great guys but they are typically higher than the Gun Rack, so I tend to opt for them. Southern, is ok, but yes they're high and I have gotten ok service from them. Take care....
Old January 11, 2006, 07:26 PM   #41
18DAI

Parrothead2581 - That side of town is exactly why CCW in NC is worth the trouble. Regards 18DAI.
Old January 11, 2006, 08:07 PM   #42
parrothead2581

18DAI - And that's why I avoid that side of town like the plague . Take care!
Old January 12, 2006, 01:27 AM   #43
Ares45

YES. Of course you should get your CCW. When election time rolls around vote your conscience and maybe we'll get some thing done about the fine print.

I can't remember the last time I went anywhere "naked". I did leave the heat in the car for thanksgiving dinner at my sister's with two small kids and all. Sis gets the willies with guns around the kids so I decided to give it a rest for one day. Other than that I just don't go there. Movies aren't my thing. Don't go to bars cause I'm not 21 anymore. I Stay away from public gatherings because I don't like crowds. I carry at work because I run the place so it's legal. Restaurants are occasionally a bummer but I'm creative and thurough always keep an eye on entrances and possible exits. The "feet don't fail me now' approach has worked wonders in the past and I imagine I can still move it when highly motivated.

The two biggest advantages are a gun permit 24/7 and speeding tickets that turn into warnings. LEO's apparently don't like to spend time chatting with also-armed civilians. They will give your gun back to you in pieces though.
Old January 12, 2006, 10:31 PM   #44
tarheellefty

RE: mental health- when you apply for a CCH they send a letter to the various mental hospitals in the state to see if you were ever admitted/ patient there. thats the end of that investigation , I believe.
Ares45- please explain /expound on LEO giving you your gun back in pieces?!? Why would you give LEO the gun ? I know one friend who went round and round w/ a LEO (during a traffic stop) about this - my friend was quite adament about not surrendering his weapon. he finally ended up locking it in trunk for duration of LEO's "visit" . I think that was a great idea; there is no mention in law of having to surrender firearm . As my friend pointed out, "possession is 9/10ths of the law" , and he wasn't going to have to hire a lawyer and go through legal process to get his own property back . If anyone else has experience - knowledge of this, I'd like to hear it.....
Old January 13, 2006, 09:31 AM   #45
18DAI

Not following a LEO's commands is a REALLY BAD IDEA. The results of which ,at best, are a black top facial ,and you might find yourself checking the bore on a Glock 22. They protect all of us ,and have a difficult enough job without an armed citizen wanting to debate criminal law and procedure. Your friends story sounds fishy ,and we don't know the LEO's side ,but that is the first time I've ever even heard of an LEO trying to take a CCW holders weapon ,without probable cause. It's also the only time I've ever heard that the citizen on a stop was allowed to do as they pleased ,in spite of the officers request/instructions. Regards 18DAI.
Old January 13, 2006, 01:42 PM   #46
geneinnc

The one thing that was made perfectly clear when I took Certification Course at the North Carolina Justice Academy, was the procedure involving contact with a LEO. No grey area. You put your hands on the steering wheel, in plain sight, and LEAVE them there, as you inform the LEO you have a CCH and have a gun in the car. What should I do? Simple answer. YOU DO WHAT HE TELLS YOU TO DO. He has every right to do as he pleases. Yes, he can ask where the weapon is, remove you from the car, remove the weapon from you, cuff you, put you in his car, and run checks on you, your car and the gun.
You should have been over all of this in your CCH class. This subject is on my written test concerning CCH issues. I tell my students there are several questions that must be answered correctly, and this is one of them.

I have been through numerous road blocks on the roads of NC when I was a salesman. Not once was I eve hastled. The normal reply is thanks for telling me, and what are you carrying?

Common sense prevails when your dealing with an LEO. They are in a super stressful job. The pay is poor. They know you have a gun. Most have no idea the training you went through to get the CCH. They catch grief from most of the people they have to deal with.

Which makes more sense? Do what the law tell you to do during a stop, being as polite as can be while following the LEOS instructions, or cop an attitude.
You WILL NOT win this arguement.
I hate you had sucha bad experience. Think about this.I wonder how the LEO will handle the next encounter with a CCH holder after the encounter he just had with you? I hope I'm not the next one down the line.

Thanks
Gene
Old January 13, 2006, 03:05 PM   #47
porkskin

arrington's treats me like beetle dung b/c i'm not leo. i wouldn't give them a dime. southern firearms is o.k. and their police trade in's are good. the two best for price in the triad are gun rack and whetstone supply in high point. the guy at whetstone has no inventory, but will special order anything for cost + maybe 10%. the gun show on the 28th will be big! i will trade my beretta .40 for something sweet before 9:30 a.m.!! count on that. calibers is where i shoot as well.
Old January 13, 2006, 09:30 PM   #48
WhyteP38

I don't understand giving attitude to a LEO. Doesn't seem smart no matter whether the guy is a good or a bad cop. If he's a good cop, why crap on him? If he's a bad cop, why give him a reason, however flimsy, to bust your stones? I've never been in such a situation, but I'm guessing that most of the time there are only two witnesses: you and him. I suspect the judge will believe him over you.

If he takes your gun for *no reason* and won't give it back--which seems pretty unlikely--find a lawyer and go after the department. I doubt the department will stick up for the guy. I've known cops who have made good arrests, been sued, and their department settles out of court just to avoid the hassle and bad press. Returning your gun is much smaller than that.

Besides, if some screwball LEO is trying to bust your stones for no reason, remaining imperturbable is the best way to get even. It puts you at the least risk and takes away the two things he's wanting most: a reason to hassle you and the joy of getting your goat.
Old January 13, 2006, 10:09 PM   #49
tarheellefty

Please understand, it wasn't me giving the LEO a hard time. I do remember that this happened right after CCH was started, and everyone was still gettting a " comfort level ". I remember my jaw hanging open while listening to my friend tell this story- but I could see the guy doing it. Thats just the type person he was (He was also well connected politically; I think that 'helped' his attitude).
I have been through routine license checks twice since CCH - both times LEO smiled and waved me through. I think it helps to have it.
Old January 13, 2006, 10:14 PM   #50
tarheellefty

Several posts have mentioned the Gun rack - Where it it? I'm not familiar w/ that one.