The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 11, 2006, 04:41 PM   #1
Larry C.

New Ruger P-97

Howdy,

Bought a used Ruger P-97 today for $300. No case, one mag
Took her to the range, inspected it and found her to be fairly clean and lubricated. I lubricated her again lightly with Beretta's Olio along the rails.
OK, on to the first 100+ rds..
100 rds of MagTech 230 gr hardball yielded 2 FTE. In 24 rds of CCI Blazer (Aluminum casing) she had FOUR FTE! That's when I went back to the MagTech! I spoke with a gunsmith who suggested that perhaps the ammo lacked adequate powder to cycle the slide or perhaps I was limp wristing.
He also suggested I try better ammo and of a lighter load. More later.
Anyone else want to chime in on thier experiences with Ruger's P-97?
It IS light and comfortable with it's slim grips and pleasant D/A trigger. S/A is great, BTW. Recoil was fairly sharp, since I've been spoiled by the Beretta 92FS and the 9mm. What about YOUR P-97?

Larry C.
Old July 11, 2006, 08:15 PM   #2
rdebert

My KP97 has had only 1 failure ever..which was a failure to properly feed a JHP round completely...which I blame on that specific round. Round hung on the feed ramp just shy of the firing chamber. I have only shot Winchester and Remington ammo out of mine. With little information to go on..I would do a thorough cleaning, change ammo, and get a different magazine. Would really be surprised if it didn't solve the problem between those 3 things (though I could be wrong). Recoil is subjective: I do't find it sharp...just "different" than with my Beretta 92's.
Old July 11, 2006, 09:15 PM   #3
denfoote

Mine's worked since coming out of the box!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old July 11, 2006, 09:25 PM   #4
skynyrd1911

P97

I no longer own it, (1911 bug) but I bought it new and It never gave me any problems. It was my first .45. Didn't miss a lick, just on the bulky side.
Old July 12, 2006, 02:21 AM   #5
NINE

I've had my P97 for many a year, never has it given me any grief. NEVER a FTF or FTE.
Old July 12, 2006, 07:18 AM   #6
Trip20

The first NIB P97 I purchased from Gander Mountain had FTF's galore. Took it back with in a week of it's purchase and requested they exchange it for a different NIB P97. They had no problem doing this.

The 2nd P97 has not had one FTF, FTE, or FT-anything since I brought it home. It's my HD .45 now.

During the week of owning the initial P97 I contacted Ruger, and spoke to a 'smith who said it was most likely the extractor (must be a somewhat common cause for people who complain about FTF's). You may want to look into this for your FTE issues as well.

If you decide to keep the P97 you should have good experiences working with Ruger. Their customer service is great in my experience. Many others report good dealings with Ruger as well.
Old July 12, 2006, 03:23 PM   #7
Larry C.

New Mag, ammo. Range report soon

Howdy,

As per my gunsmith's instructions, I purchased a new mag for my P97, which choked on 2 out of 100 rounds of MagTech and 4 out of 26 rounds of CCI Blazer. Both were 230 gr "ball".
Decided to spurge for Hornady 185 gr HP's. Will buy some more and go to the range soon. If it STILL chokes, I may call Ruger and see if they'd work on my P97 which I bought used..

Larry C.
Old July 12, 2006, 07:48 PM   #8
rdebert

Should you need Ruger Service..I can't imagine them not tripping over themselves you help you...used or not.
Old July 16, 2006, 02:53 AM   #9
ESI Agent

Of the two P97's I've had the first was 100% the second had problems with a full magazine called Ruger they sent me a new extractor. Thats it. Good luck be safe.
Old July 16, 2006, 08:13 AM   #10
Ammo Junky

+1 on Ruger service

I apologise in advance for spelling errors.
Old July 17, 2006, 12:39 PM   #11
tjhands

No problems with mine, as long as I'm shooting either FMJ or JHP. It never liked lead.
Old July 17, 2006, 01:15 PM   #12
Kestrel

Larry,

The P97 has had a bit of a spotty reputation, for a Ruger. Ruger issued updated replacement parts for the P97 a few years ago. Call them and they will be happy to either send you the parts or you can ship them your pistol, if you're not comfortable replacing them. (Don't know if your's has had the parts replaced or even needs them - just a suggestion.)

If my memory serves, I think the redesigned parts are:

Extractor
Cam-lock/Guide rod
Slide stop

(Yep, all of these.)

Good luck.
Old July 19, 2006, 04:10 PM   #13
Larry C.

Extractor for sure

Howdy,

Krestel, thanks for the info! I know the slide stop is OK. It hasn't come out unexpectedly, as others have posted. As for the Cam Lock, I'm not sure. Now the extractor problably needs replacing, as it ejects brass into my forehead every 4th round or so! Also, with FTE's it would appear the extractor needs replacing or tuning.
I've contacted Ruger already, and they encouraged me to send it in. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Larry C.