The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 27, 2001, 09:39 AM   #1
Coolray

Rubber Bullets

A Friend gave me a few for my .44 they look like big rubber .177Cal pellets. I just stick them in flush with the case and power them with only a primer.

Amazing accuracy at 25' I was shooting into a heavy cardboard box and they went through and through, I then put a piece of drywall as a back stop in the box and they almost penatrated that.

I'd like to find some for my 9MM and .45. great practice and primers are $1.39/1000 and I can shoot in my back yard and it sounds like caps popping.

Anybody know a source for them?
Old July 27, 2001, 11:11 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Primers are $1.39 per THOUSAND?

Where are you ordering your primers? I want 100,000!!!

Speer makes, or made, plastic bullets that did the same thing as the rubber bullets. You may be able to find some.

If you're shooting these indoors, remember that primers release organic lead, which can be a SERIOUS health hazard to young children in even small quantities, while larger quantities can cause health problems in adults.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 27, 2001, 01:30 PM   #3
John D

Primers are $1.39 per THOUSAND?

YEAH, I'll take a million!!!
Old July 27, 2001, 01:54 PM   #4
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Try setting up a box with a wooden dowel hanging perpendicular to the bullets' path (in a V cut into the top of the box), hang a towel from that so your bullets impact that rather than any hard "backstop." Bullets will go through target, hit towel & drop.

Prevents danger of richochetts ....
Old July 27, 2001, 03:40 PM   #5
dntorbert

I've seen these in dillons blue press they are x-ring rubber bullets in 9/38/357 they are 7.50 for 50 and in 45 they are 9.50 for 50
Old July 27, 2001, 05:12 PM   #6
Mal H
Staff

I bought my rubber bullets for .357 and .44 from Midway a while back. I believe they had most common sizes available. The brand is "X-Ring".

For my shooting gallery setup I used a cardboard box with a dowel very similar to Labgrades description, but I used an old piece of carpet instead of the towel.

I have an extra Sawbuck available, so when you get all the orders for primers ready to go, put me down for 7,000.
Old July 27, 2001, 05:50 PM   #7
handgun357

Rubber bullets?
What's the point.
I don't get it.
Old July 27, 2001, 06:09 PM   #8
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

handgun357,

The point is you can shoot these (& quite safety) indoors (although the lead contect of primers is noteworthy) - more trigger time. As with a "mere .22," the more practice the better.

Due to all but non-existant recoil, in my experience with Speer's platics in .44 cal, these shoot a bit low. I'd fire a few to get a goodly idea where point of impact was relative to point of aim. By using two bullseyes, you can sight on one & expect & count hits at the other.

Sights wouldn't adjust accordingly & anyway, so why fool around with your sights when this simple "trick" solves the "problem."

Surprisingly accurate for a primer-pop w/in 25' or so & only problem I had with them was primers wanting to back out & partially locking up the cylinder.

BTW, these things are NOT a "toy bullet" & should be accorded all due safety aspects. Long time ago neighbor's dog can attest they do smart.
Old July 27, 2001, 09:34 PM   #9
Coolray

Sorry Guys that's 1.39 per 100 I got happy fingers with the zeros

labgrade I like your Idea about the Backstop.

I shoot these outside so far and maybe as the weather turns I'll go in the garage. I also have had the primers back out a little,I'm using Winchester WLP maybe I should try some CCI standard ones.

I'll check out Midway.

handgun357

one of the reasons for the rubber bullets is it allows my 12 year old son to shoot the .44 , and as he gets used to it we will start him with low power stuff then move to more main line ammo. It's a learning tool

Thanks guys
Old August 1, 2001, 04:17 PM   #10
dntorbert

I've read a about using wax or rubber bullets like this and if you are willing to set aside a few case for just these loads you can boost velocity and stop the primer backout trouble by drilling out the flash hole in the case.(it's good tomark these by cutting a grove in the rim with a dremel or file that way they will never get mixed up and used in "real" loads)
Old August 1, 2001, 08:12 PM   #11
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

As just brought re wax bullets - the GulfWax parafin blocks can make wax wadcutters by laying the block flat & just pressing a primed case straight down into & through the wax block. You can even remelt the wax. Although the wax bullets work OK, the remelting is not worth the time.
Old August 3, 2001, 04:48 AM   #12
mundumugu

rubber bullets uh? rubs the targets off, erases them, leaves no traces of the deceased if applied well? hummmm...
Old August 6, 2001, 11:01 AM   #13
handgunhunting

if you have primer set back then you must enlarge the flash hole a bit but this leaves the case no good for anything but the rubber/wax bullets.
for my 22 cal. centerfire contenders i take a 22 cal. lead pellet resize and prime a case as i would for a normal load then i put the pellet in the mouth just so it stays straight and load and shoot it works very well out to about 30 feet or so.