The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 7, 2015, 05:37 PM   #1
ezmiraldo

Placement of WML on an HD shotgun

I've been struggling trying to figure out where to attach my streamlight tlr-1 on my shotgun. I have 3 problems: (1) I want to avoid mounting it in any area where I might have negligent light discharge if I accidentally press against it with my pump hand; (2) I want to have it where it can be relatively easily accessed with the pump-hand. (3) When I do "1", I mess up "2"; When I do "2", I have to compromise on "1".

I'm personally not too much into the surefire foregrip design because it forces one to work with two buttons (the deadswitch, completely disabling the light to prevent NDs, and the on-off button that works after deadswitch is diactivated).

Vertical grip might be a good solution to this (it moves the hand away from the light, preventing NDs), but it makes my HD shotgun clumsier and bulkier than I want it to be.

So, how do y'all solve this problem? Where do you place your shotgun WML, so as to prevent light NDs, and still have the light quickly accessible with the front hand?

Last edited by ezmiraldo; March 7, 2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old March 7, 2015, 07:51 PM   #2
Chief Brody

Here's a TLR-1 on my 870P -

This shot taken in a mirror:

The mount is Streamlight's 12ga magazine tube mount. Very solid setup. As you can see, I can easily manipulate the switch without moving my hand from the forearm.
Old March 7, 2015, 08:03 PM   #3
FITASC

Check out CMD Gear for light attachments
Old March 7, 2015, 08:40 PM   #4
ezmiraldo

Chief Brody, that setup (and location for the light) looks pretty darn close to perfect. What material is the mount made out of? Does it move at all when firing?
Old March 7, 2015, 08:50 PM   #5
Chief Brody

Found the Amazon page for it:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...TVQ7VNRYEB641Y

It's plastic (or polymer if you're being fancy about it). With three allen-head screws and nuts clamping down on the mag tube, there is zero movement while firing. I've been using this setup for a couple of years, well over 1500 rounds, and I'm still very happy with it. So disassembly takes a little longer, big deal. Sometimes when I'm competing in a match, I'll remove the light, but leave the mount where it is. It's so low-profile and lightweight, you'd be hard-pressed to notice it at all.
Old March 8, 2015, 02:10 AM   #6
Dreaming100Straight

I have a TLR-1 on my 870 but with a differenct Streamlight mount than Chief Brody's. I like the Chief's better but mine has one advantage. It doesn't increase time to get take the magazine extension off should you to due to a jam of some sort. The downside to what I have is it creates a gap where the inner diameters of the magazine and the magazine mention meet. I find the gap unacceptable if the rail attachment is mounted as intended by Streamlight as the gap is too wide. However if it is mounted so that the rail runs forward and not towards the breech the gap is acceptable. Still, no gap is better. Brody's also permits you to select how far towards the muzzle you want it mounted. This is it.

SINCE POSTING THIS I HAVE TESTED THE CONFIGURATION. Do NOT mount it with the rail facing forward. The magazine spring or the follower, I can't tell which, hangs up when all 6 are in the tube and the gun very easily jams. I am not going back and testing it with the rail towards the receiver, which streamlight advises is how it is intended to be useed, with slugs.

Last edited by Dreaming100Straight; March 10, 2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old March 8, 2015, 03:04 PM   #7
ezmiraldo

Thanks for the help, guys! I think I have a very good idea of how to solve this problem. I'll post a pic when I finish this little project.
Old March 8, 2015, 05:25 PM   #8
wnycollector

I use a LaserLyte Picatinny rail mount in order to mount my TLR-1 to my 870. Mine is mounted on the left hand side in the same location as Chief Brody.
Old March 9, 2015, 09:45 AM   #9
Dreaming100Straight

Since that picture was taken, I also moved mine to the right side in almost the identical place as the Chief. Were I to do it over, I might go with his mount.

SINCE POSTING THIS I HAVE TESTED THE CONFIGURATION. Do NOT mount it with the rail facing forward. The magazine spring or the follower, I can't tell which, hangs up when all 6 are in the tube and the gun very easily jams. I am not going back and testing it with the rail towards the receiver, which streamlight advises is how it is intended to be useed, with slugs.

Last edited by Dreaming100Straight; March 10, 2015 at 12:51 PM.